Out of the players being linked to Dallas, who would you take?

garyv

Reaction score
CJ Henderson, CB, Florida
K’Lavon Chaisson, ED, LSU
AJ Terrell, CB, Clemson
Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma
Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan

For the sake of argument, let’s say Henderson & Chaisson are both gone. Out of the remaining four, if you had to pick one, who would be your guy at 17?

If they stay and 17 probably Henderson

garyv

Reaction score
This a solid post.

What’s the drop off from Henderson and Terrell to the lower rated corners? Much higher than Ruiz to the next center

Ive read some people think LSU Center can be taken in 3rd or 4th round

garyv

Reaction score
AJ Terrell, CB, Clemson
Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan

For the sake of argument, let’s say Henderson & Chaisson are both gone. Out of the remaining four, if you had to pick one, who would be your guy at 17?

I would probably try to trade down a few spots and go ahead and take Ruiz

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
Ruiz.
He's a day one plug and play starter that's a mauler in the run game and the feet to block on the second level.
I think he's going to be pro bowl good.

if he is seen as a pro bowl center then yea get him at 17. Not sexy but oh well. Watched some film from Fredbeard and he wasn’t himself.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Honestly, I can't say with 100% certainty I'm comfortable with any. I can a reason NOT to select any of them at 17. Love Henderson but pretty confident you can get a likey starting CB at 51. Chaisson has great potential but the truth is it's just that coz his stats are downright ugly. Besides, how many times have we heard or talked about it takes college DEs at least 2, maybe three years to make an impact. It would not surprise me at all to see the Cowboys pass on him even if the there at 17 coz Taco left a bad taste. I'd like to think at 17 we can select a plug n play player who'll start day one.

I know it's not a popular choice but I'm warming to the idea LBer (Murray over Queen ) coz, in reality, there are question marks with each projected starter. Do we honestly believe we can count Lee for 16 games? LVE neck issues...yea it's supposed to have been minor but he had issues in college also. Frankly, I'm not sure what we have with Jaylon Smith. Played great in 2018 but was it actually talent or feeding off LVE sensational rookie play. But Lee is my biggest concern and I'm actually surprised many posters/ fans are suddenly forgetting his history with injuries.

So gun to head choice at 17.......I'd go Murray but make sure I come out the draft with Curtis Weaver also. I actually like him better than Chaisson.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
For posters wanting Ruiz.......what's wrong with Looney? He held his own as 2018 starter. NO, he was good as Fredbeard but for a guy starting the position for an entire year for the first time, he played well and should be better with that experience under his belt.

DanA

Reaction score
For posters wanting Ruiz.......what's wrong with Looney? He held his own as 2018 starter. NO, he was good as Fredbeard but for a guy starting the position for an entire year for the first time, he played well and should be better with that experience under his belt.

57 sacks is what's wrong

DanA

Reaction score
You blaming Looney for 57 sacks??????

A big problem that season was that we weren’t picking up the blitz. The center plays a big part in setting the blocking assignments. If he’s struggling to communicate blocking assignments that’s a problem.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
A big problem that season was that we weren’t picking up the blitz. The center plays a big part in setting the blocking assignments. If he’s struggling to communicate blocking assignments that’s a problem.

Many, many other factors involve......QB, RB, other OLmen, WRs. To be blunt, how many of the 57 sacks can we blame on his "struggling to communicate blocking assignment"? Remember this was his first time starting almost a full season at the position. I'm pretty sure he will tell you he expects to play way better with the one year's experience under his belt. Now taking that into account the next question is what's the margin on what we can expect from him vs Fredbeard last season. Considering Fredbeard didn't have a good year, I'm not sure the margin is that much at all. Certainly not enough use 17th on a center. The bottom line for me, we can't afford to invest more value ( top value I might add ) resources in that unit. A unit that has three starters on 2nd-year deals and two former 2nd round pick we're trying to figure out where to play.

Creeper

Reaction score
If Henderson and Chaisson are both gone, someone had to drop to 17 besides who is on your list. But if this is it, then I would definitely seek a trade out of the 17 slot. If I was forced to make a pick then it would be Terrell or Diggs. But like I said, more than likely someone else would have fallen to 17.

DanA

Reaction score
Many, many other factors involve......QB, RB, other OLmen, WRs. To be blunt, how many of the 57 sacks can we blame on his "struggling to communicate blocking assignment"? Remember this was his first time starting almost a full season at the position. I'm pretty sure he will tell you he expects to play way better with the one year's experience under his belt. Now taking that into account the next question is what's the margin on what we can expect from him vs Fredbeard last season. Considering Fredbeard didn't have a good year, I'm not sure the margin is that much at all. Certainly not enough use 17th on a center. The bottom line for me, we can't afford to invest more value ( top value I might add ) resources in that unit. A unit that has three starters on 2nd-year deals and two former 2nd round pick we're trying to figure out where to play.

1. McGovern was a 3rd round pick not a 2nd
2. An untested 3rd round pick as a center/guard isn't unreasonable.
3. We've spent more on our D-line than O-line in both FA & in the draft (looking at just current players)
4. The QB, RB, and Other O-linemen have remained pretty consistent. There was one game where Chaz Green got his *** handed to him but otherwise, Looney/Frederick was the major change where there was a drastic difference.

With regards to No.3
Draft Picks D-line: Hill (2nd), Gregory (2nd), Armstrong (4th), Jackson (5th)
Draft Picks O-line: Williams (2nd), McGovern (3rd), Knight (UDFA)
Free agency D-line: Lawrence (20m), Crawford (8m), McCoy (6m), Poe (6m), A.Smith (4m) Total 44m
Free agency O-line: Smith (15m), Martin (12m), Collins (10m), Looney (2m) Total 39m

If you look at what's on the roster....more draft picks & more FA money has been spent on the D-line.

cnuball21

Reaction score
1. McGovern was a 3rd round pick not a 2nd
2. An untested 3rd round pick as a center/guard isn't unreasonable.
3. We've spent more on our D-line than O-line in both FA & in the draft (looking at just current players)
4. The QB, RB, and Other O-linemen have remained pretty consistent. There was one game where Chaz Green got his *** handed to him but otherwise, Looney/Frederick was the major change where there was a drastic difference.

With regards to No.3
Draft Picks D-line: Hill (2nd), Gregory (2nd), Armstrong (4th), Jackson (5th)
Draft Picks O-line: Williams (2nd), McGovern (3rd), Knight (UDFA)
Free agency D-line: Lawrence (20m), Crawford (8m), McCoy (6m), Poe (6m), A.Smith (4m) Total 44m
Free agency O-line: Smith (15m), Martin (12m), Collins (10m), Looney (2m) Total 39m

If you look at what's on the roster....more draft picks & more FA money has been spent on the D-line.

The difference is we've hit on OL picks and whiffed on really dumb DL picks IMO. A 2nd round pick on a player with significant off the field issues in Gregory and a super reach on a nickel rushing rotational player in Hill doesn't really tell the whole story. I love the McCoy and Poe signing as short term band-aids but we need young talent there. Same goes for DE.

Smith is 29, Collins is 26 and Martin is 29. McGovern was a top 75 ish player on a lot of boards. Even if our starting C is average this year we're loaded at OL with young talent.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
AJ Terrell, CB, Clemson
Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan

Off that list Chaisson easily #1.

Henderson easily #2.

Then probably Terrell/Diggs/Murray/Ruiz

If Henry Ruggs is available then I’d put him #3 and possibly #2 ahead of Henderson.

DanA

Reaction score
The difference is we've hit on OL picks and whiffed on really dumb DL picks IMO. A 2nd round pick on a player with significant off the field issues in Gregory and a super reach on a nickel rushing rotational player in Hill doesn't really tell the whole story. I love the McCoy and Poe signing as short term band-aids but we need young talent there. Same goes for DE.

Smith is 29, Collins is 26 and Martin is 29. McGovern was a top 75 ish player on a lot of boards. Even if our starting C is average this year we're loaded at OL with young talent.

In a hypothetical trade down situation where the pool of players was:
CB: Fulton, Gladney, Terrell
OL: Ruiz
DE: Gross Matos, Baun
DT: Blacklock, Elliott
WR: Mims, Raegor, Shenault

I'm taking Ruiz without hesitation. Yes we've hit on O-line players but IMO that's a reason to go O-line again.

cnuball21

Reaction score
In a hypothetical trade down situation where the pool of players was:
CB: Fulton, Gladney, Terrell
OL: Ruiz
DE: Gross Matos, Baun
DT: Blacklock, Elliott
WR: Mims, Raegor, Shenault

I'm taking Ruiz without hesitation. Yes we've hit on O-line players but IMO that's a reason to go O-line again.

I think the difference is I just don’t see C as big of a need as you do. If there was a legit 1st round, top 20 C prospect Is consider it but multiple boards have Ruiz outside the top 40.

IMO it would be a bad pick even in a trade down scenario.