Over/Under: How Many Games Does Maher Cost Us?

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It's just a dumb time to bring up the subject considering:
  • He cost us zero games last season
  • Made 2 game winning field goals in 2018
  • Hit a 62 yarder that helped get the team into OT against the Eagles; and
  • Has not missed a single kick so far in 2019.

yes, what a crappy thread to start on a Monday after a win... **sigh**

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Last season he hit game winners vs Alt and Det. Does he get credit for those? How many game winners does he hit this season?
That's right, and the one he missed last year was against Washington. Got backed up 5 yds due to penalty and that's also the game where Prescott lost a fumble for a TD

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How many games do you think Bret Maher will cost us this season?

I’m setting the imaginary line at 2 games.

Thots?
Why would you even consider a thread-like this speculating. On something that might never happen

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Kickers who have missed FGs this season:

Bailey (also has a missed XP)
Gostkowski
Vinatieri (has two missed XPs)
Gould
Bryant
Zeurlein
Lutz

Whether they "cost them the game" depends on if you ignore everything else that went on for 60 minutes, including the missed tackles, dropped passes, etc., to have a convenient scapegoat. But yeah, if you wait long enough Maher will miss one then we can get the "See?" and "Should've kept Bailey" silliness from the usual suspects.

mldardy

Reaction score
I think we need to accept the fact the FG kickers aren't good anymore. None of them are reliable even on XPs. The best FG of all time Vinatieri has already missed XPs and FGs and cost the Colts in Week 1. Just hope for the best and that it doesn't come down to FGs.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Exactly.

He cost us zero games last season. Even hit a 62 yarder that would help get us into OT against the Eagles.

Maher is a great kicker considering he only counts 580k against the cap.

Don't get the hate for him.

Lol, smh.

Why are you tender hearted snowflakes so sensitive?

He struggled through training camp and preseason. He doubled an extra point yesterday.

He’s been shaky.

The fact you guys get so puckered up over a mere question is hilarious.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Lol, three of those threads were effectively giving props to Maher, but thanks for the data dump to try and make a point.

Read them. They are all way more negative then positive. He's a kicker who hasn't missed a FG this season. He seems to be doing fine as he has the 2nd most XP's made this season. Should we start a thread about how many games Witten is going to lose us this year? I just don't understand the timing of this thread, and more so, the reasoning behind it. He seems to be your every day average kicker who can make an occasional 65 yarder. If he went 0-4 yesterday this thread makes sense, but I don't even remember the last time he lost us a game...has he?

windjc

Reaction score

I’m setting the imaginary line at 2 games.

Thots?
As usual my thought is that you bring very little to this board outside of bad analysis and negative predictions. I think Maher will cost us no more games this year than Jaylen's knee.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

So the past is a predictor of the future?

There’s no appropriate time to bring it up, so again, you’re being overly sensitive in that you cannot even deal with the mere question.

If you want to act like he didn’t struggle this offseason then you were living under a rock. And I love how you emphatically state he’s “not missed a single kick so far in 2019.”

He’s only attempted one FG.

Look, Dan Bailey was most accurate kicker in NFL history until he wasn’t. Same with Matt Vanderjagt.

Bringing up what Maher did in 2018 provides little.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
As usual my thought is that you bring very little to this board outside of bad analysis and negative predictions. I think Maher will cost us no more games this year than Jaylen's knee.

Thank you windbag.

I’d also comment on your contribution to this board but I would be left spending most of my time having to explain who you even are.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last season he hit game winners vs Alt and Det. Does he get credit for those? How many game winners does he hit this season?
Not as many as you might think. With the Cowboy offense, games shouldn't come down to the last few seconds and them needing a FG to get the W.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Not as many as you might think. With the Cowboy offense, games shouldn't come down to the last few seconds and them needing a FG to get the W.

True but every team at one point or another is put into that situation where a FG to win the game comes into play. Last year Maher hit game winners as I pointed out, the one vs alt, there was only time for the FG.. I hate for games to come down to 1 final play but sooner or later he will be faced with it, more than likely

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
He could very well cost us a thot or two. And we don't have that many left to spare, dang it, someones gonna have to go back and get more thots.

TheHerd

Reaction score
So you're under?