Over/Under on Gurode as Center

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Looks like Gurode is back to his old self. how long does he remain the starter at center?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think he's fine as a backup C-G combo. BP can't stand mental errors -- and Johnson's mental game is very good.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but he will mess up and be playing backup up very soon.

I was hoping for more out of Al this year, but does not appear to be happening.

Looks like another FA for center next year...

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I was really hoping that Gurode could do the job this year, cause of course he has all the physical tools.

Man, this oline is like putting your finger in a dam to hold back the water. Everytime you plug a hole another one appears. Hopefully we won't run out of fingers.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
I was really hoping that Gurode could do the job this year, cause of course he has all the physical tools.

Man, this oline is like putting your finger in a dam to hold back the water. Everytime you plug a hole another one appears. Hopefully we won't run out of fingers.

It never ends in regard to our offensive line.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Is this chicken little day today?

Look people, Parcells clearly stated that the errors Gurode was making monday were of little significance compared to the errors he's commited in the past. I believe he said something along the lines of..."i doubt most people would even notice the errors Gurode made monday."

This is just parcells. He's keeping the pressure on, he needs Andre to concentrate hard for these tackles he's facing on sunday. That's all. Simmer down.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I was hoping for more out of Al this year, but does not appear to be happening.

Most reports indicated that Al was having an outstanding camp. He looked good in pre-season as well.

burmafrd

Reaction score
MOre doom and gloom about our O line. This is getting really boring.
A lot of the team had a bad night against Minnesota. Untill the regular season is a few games old we will not know which way the O line will go. To make proclamations now is just plain STUPID.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
tomson75 said:
Is this chicken little day today?

Look people, Parcells clearly stated that the errors Gurode was making monday were of little significance compared to the errors he's commited in the past. I believe he said something along the lines of..."i doubt most people would even notice the errors Gurode made monday."

This is just parcells. He's keeping the pressure on, he needs Andre to concentrate hard for these tackles he's facing on sunday. That's all. Simmer down.

Come to think of it, it was kind of hard to notice the ball flying five feet over Tony Romo's head on the snap.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
MOre doom and gloom about our O line. This is getting really boring.
A lot of the team had a bad night against Minnesota. Untill the regular season is a few games old we will not know which way the O line will go. To make proclamations now is just plain STUPID.

Yeah, but you are and continue to be Gurode fan #1.

You just don't what to take anymore crap over your "IluvDre" license plate.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
Come to think of it, it was kind of hard to notice the ball flying five feet over Tony Romo's head on the snap.
Well, it was slightly overshadowed by the god-like play that Romo made after the snap.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Unforgiven said:

Not an Gurode apolologist here pal. Just simply stating that he hasn't been nearly as bad this year as in past years. Johnson did NOT have a spectacular camp. Gurode, unfortunately, is our best option at this time. He's going to make mistakes, but if he's minimizing them, i'll take that over Johnson being pushed five yards into the pocket every play. There is no need for mass suicide on this board.

Oh, and how did that play turn out by the way?:D

burmafrd

Reaction score
Untill this thread I have not bothered to say much about Gurode - I liked Al and had hoped the extra size would make a difference this year. Apparently it has not and Gurode is the starter. He is bigger and stronger then Al- but has had problems handling the mental aspect of the game. BP said today that while he has had some problems recently he is much better then he was in the past. I hope so- since as has been pointed out Al was getting blown up too often- and weakness at the center is bad news when you are trying to pass protect- the QB cannot step up.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Johnson's problems are overrated. If he was getting pushed into the backfield on every play, he wouldn't have played 85 percent of the time at center. Gurode would have replaced him after just a few games.

Gurode has moved ahead right now seemingly because his problems are correctable. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have corrected all of them. I haven't seen him pull the wrong way yet this season, and he hasn't had as many missed assignments, but snapping the ball on the wrong count and snapping the ball over the quarterback's head aren't mistakes that you can keep making and remain in the starting lineup.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Johnson's problems are overrated. If he was getting pushed into the backfield on every play, he wouldn't have played 85 percent of the time at center. Gurode would have replaced him after just a few games.

It is the whole Kosier-Arrington thing all over -- folks see a play or two when Johnson gets abused and go nuts because it is an obvious play that even the casual fan can see. Of course, they miss the crap line call that leads a guard to take the wrong guy because of Gurode's mistake.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Johnson's problems are overrated.
Then why isn't he the clear cut starter????

Overrated players or in AL Johnson case (homer glasses...eg Petitti) always tend to find themsleves either backing-up or on the fringes.
AdamJT13 said:
If he was getting pushed into the backfield on every play, he wouldn't have played 85 percent of the time at center.
Anyone who suggest that Al Johnson gets push into the backfield on every play should be labelled an idiot, because it's factually incorrect.

I think your reaching to prove a point.

The facts are Al Johnson is weak at the point of attack. He's a liablity on every play where the defense knows exactly what is coming and in todays NFL sooner or later you'll have situations where you are either forced to pass or run.
AdamJT13 said:
Gurode would have replaced him after just a few games.
Gurode wasn't equiped to replace Al Johnson for an extent period of time. Unlike this past training camp Gurode didn't assimilate the entire offense from the center position.

In 2005 he went into camp competing for the center position from a weaker position.

He was splitting reps at both guard and center.

This year he solely focused on his role at center, evidently it worked because the competition ended 1 week into camp.
AdamJT13 said:
Gurode has moved ahead right now seemingly because his problems are correctable.
Go figure........Finally someone agrees with me. I think I mentioned this exact stament almost 5 months ago. I thought it would be much easier for Gurode to learn the offense from the center position than it would be for Al Johnson to improve his talent at the position by putting on 10 freaking lbs.
AdamJT13 said:
Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have corrected all of them.
Well whatever he corrected was good enough to surplant the incumbent fan favorite in the eyes of a HOF bound and 2 time SuperBowl winning coach.
AdamJT13 said:
I haven't seen him pull the wrong way yet this season, and he hasn't had as many missed assignments, but snapping the ball on the wrong count and snapping the ball over the quarterback's head aren't mistakes that you can keep making and remain in the starting lineup.
Like Parcell's stated Gurode isn't going to perfect this season, but what is blantly obvious is that some fans would rather live with the flaws brought to the table by one Al Johnson.

The facts are Andre Gurode is more valuable to the team than Al Johnson, he more versatile, his problems based on the preseason seemed to be minimized.

Parcell's stated that Gurode would be on the bench if he played poorly........so will any other player starter, just ask Al Johnson.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Charles said:
Then why isn't he the clear cut starter????

Because Parcells wants Gurode's bigger body in there, if he can handle it.

Anyone who suggest that Al Johnson gets push into the backfield on every play should be labelled an idiot, because it's factually incorrect.

Just like when someone says "he's a liablity on every play where the defense knows exactly what is coming"? That's factually incorrect, too.

He's a liablity on every play where the defense knows exactly what is coming

Hmmm ...

Gurode wasn't equiped to replace Al Johnson for an extent period of time.

And it's still left to be seen whether he is now.

Well whatever he corrected was good enough to surplant the incumbent fan favorite in the eyes of a HOF bound and 2 time SuperBowl winning coach.

And Parcells has stated repeatedly that Gurode's hold on the position is tenuous, and he just might rotate them. Like I said, Gurode needs to stop making critical mistakes if he's going to play more than 50 percent of the snaps this season.

MC KAos

Reaction score
unless injured i see gurode playing the whole year at center, if he doesnt and is healthy it would probably be because a guard gets hurt and they have to move him over,just my opinion.

also, it is nice to have two centers like that in case we ahve an injury to a guard, that way we can move gurode over and put al in there

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I expect Gurode to go out and do the job and I'm sure BP will continue to stay on Gurode about keeping focused. As far as I'm concerned the job is his to lose but there is no doubt he won the starting job in training camp.

Stautner

Reaction score
The truth of the matter is that we still have the same situation at center as last year. Someone mentioned that Gurode was able to focus solely on center this year rather than between center and guard, but in reality Gurode was never really considered as a guard last year. In fact, if you recall, late in the 2004 season Gurode was benched permanently while playing guard, and Parcells said in very clear terms that he didn't see Gurode as ever playing guard for the Dallas Cowboys again.

Nevertheless, the fact is that Gurode has some assets (particularly size and strength) that Parcells likes better, while Johnson has others (speed and quickness). Parcells doesn't consider either to be a complete player at center and he's just going with what assets he thinks are more important.