Overcoming the “Excuse Culture”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The success of this year’s Cowboys team once again hangs in the balance. Will they be mentally tough enough to overcome their soft culture?

This is the ultimate challenge every year for this franchise- can the team overcome the built in softness and excuses that the Jones Family have made for their own ineptness?

What do I mean by that? When the owner and GM allows himself and his kids to remain in total control of football operations with the exact same level of power and involvement after a quarter century of mediocrity, it’s one big soft excuse that’s just baked into the culture here. They never hold themselves accountable for failure to win like 30 other NFL franchises do.

So….The only way out of it is for our players and coaches to rise above the owner and his family to excel. It’s a tough thing to do when those at the top are themselves living one big excuse after another without even an ounce of personal accountability for their own mistakes. Jerry’s a great businessman and entrepreneur. Hall of fame great. But his football management skills speak for themselves the last 25 years.

This team must find a way to overcome this soft “Jones culture” or history will repeat itself again. I believe this team can do it. But only time will tell.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
The success of this year’s Cowboys team once again hangs in the balance. Will they be mentally tough enough to overcome their soft culture?

This is the ultimate challenge every year for this franchise- can the team overcome the built in softness and excuses that the Jones Family have made for their own ineptness?

What do I mean by that? When the owner and GM allows himself and his kids to remain in total control of football operations with the exact same level of power and involvement after a quarter century of mediocrity, it’s one big soft excuse that’s just baked into the culture here. They never hold themselves accountable for failure to win like 30 other NFL franchises do.

So….The only way out of it is for our players and coaches to rise above the owner and his family to excel. It’s a tough thing to do when those at the top are themselves living one big excuse after another without even an ounce of personal accountability for their own mistakes. Jerry’s a great businessman and entrepreneur. Hall of fame great. But his football management skills speak for themselves the last 25 years.

This team must find a way to overcome this soft “Jones culture” or history will repeat itself again. I believe this team can do it. But only time will tell.
Thats why I've been saying for YEARS - we need that counter-weight at the Head coaching position - need a strong old school type.
The team is weak minded and its been shown to us for many many seasons.

Whats the one thing that the 3 "best" coaches of this franchise (Landry-Jimmy-Bill) have in common...

Creeper

Reaction score
They had that attitude earlier in the season but since the Denver loss, they seem to have lost it. I agree they are a soft team and they seem to cave in to physical teams. But that can change with a big play or two. The Cowboys are not making those plays lately. It seems like when they get an INT or a fumble something happens to negate it. They get into scoring range and they get a penalty. They need to change their luck.

IMO, they are lacking confidence right now. They need something to change that. Maybe Diggs picking off a pass, or Dak hitting CeeDee for a long TD would help. They do not have a Mark Bavaro type player who will catch a pass and carry 5 guys for 15 yards to fire up the team. They could use a guy like that.

JayFord

Reaction score
Call me weird

but i think theyre annoyed as a team by all the injuries

and that develops a sarcastic "oh you grazed your toe? are you out 7 weeks?" kind of attitude

and you cant win like that

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

That culture has rubbed off on a portion of the fan base: Goodell! Mara! The League won't let us win! It's all rigged! :muttley:

I'll believe this team is different when I see it in January and February. Until that happens it's just the same ol' Cowboys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That culture has rubbed off on a portion of the fan base: Goodell! Mara! The League won't let us win! It's all rigged! :muttley:

I'll believe this team is different when I see it in January and February. Until that happens it's just the same ol' Cowboys.
Sadly true.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats why I've been saying for YEARS - we need that counter-weight at the Head coaching position - need a strong old school type.
The team is weak minded and its been shown to us for many many seasons.

Whats the one thing that the 3 "best" coaches of this franchise (Landry-Jimmy-Bill) have in common...
This x 1000! The reason Jimmy was so good here was he was the exact opposite of Jerry and brought a toughness that balanced this organization. Since Jimmy left, Jerry has always like having coaches that didn’t threaten him.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
That's what I've been saying. The excuse culture on the boards is huge. I doubt that's the case in the locker room though. They know they'll have to overcome ref decisions one way or the other. Primary goal should be getting the run game back to that 6-1 level and the o line has to give Dak a little bit more time.

Edit: I do see a little problem with our remaining schedule though. Even if we do win most of those games we have proven nothing. Come play off time and teams like GB or TB knockin on the door (or we have to knock on theirs) hopefully our kinda weak schedule hasn't hurt their self awareness. We have to beat the Cardinals no matter what.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a family owned and operated business and with that comes hard to enforce accountability. Add to this no penalty for failure to reach goals.

For fans, the best we can hope for is luck but with this owner ever poised to be the face of the franchise, I am resigned to more of the same. year after year.

And these people are not going to stop adding family to the payroll.

This is the definitive “it is what it is”.

foofighters

Reaction score

I've been saying that the reason we are soft is because of the Jones family. We don't have a football identity. We are just a popular circus act. One week we look great, the next awful and we can count on poor performance in Dec and January. It's sad but I am numb to it anymore.

OriginalNameGuy

Reaction score
I'm guilty of cheering on moral victories because as a fan that's all we've had to hold onto when discussing the team. This is the first year since 2016 when I haven't had to get bogged down in stats when discussing the team. They have displayed a product that resembles a championship contender in all 3 phases. Its in danger of reverting back to moral victories though. I don't care that Dak has an amazing passer rating or completion percentage for example. I'd much rather be discussing the win.

Ozone22

Reaction score
The one player I see IMO that can change the excuse culture we all have grown to despise is Parsons. The young man has the heart and drive of a lion ready to go feeding. You can see it in his eyes he doesn't like losing. Now will this team listen to a young rookie or will Jones find some way to bring him over to the soft culture side?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this team like the last 25 is done might as well pack the tent and move on to the offseason things simply never change in jerry jones world the team and the org like him is pathetic

fivetwos

Reaction score

For the ten millionth time....

The owner does not at all realize how his role as that directly conflicts with his role as GM.

The owner needs to sell his product....

The rest of them need to convince the team how much they stink.

In three of the last four games....the opponent has showed up to play and wanted it much more than we did.

The question is can a guy like McCarthy overcome this problem. The answer is probably not.

We need a strong personality that can overcome Jerry and his mouth and treatment of players....but that's EXACTLY what he will never allow for he same reason.

Those of you who would be happy with one playoff win and getting smashed on the road the next week are in good shape....because that's probably best case until this guy gets off the radio and out of the locker room.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

NFL fans ridicule us as we buy into Jerry's Kool-Aid every season.
We are also the Excuse Champions annually.
This is the end result of 26 years of failure.
Jerry,Dak,Zeke,D-Law etc etc countless billions and millions while we pay the bill either with cash or soul....or both.
GL to all of us as I have a feeling we will continue to need it.....

Mr_437

Reaction score
The one player I see IMO that can change the excuse culture we all have grown to despise is Parsons. The young man has the heart and drive of a lion ready to go feeding. You can see it in his eyes he doesn't like losing. Now will this team listen to a young rookie or will Jones find some way to bring him over to the soft culture side?
Parsons is Neo for this team.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If the "excuse" in the "excuse culture" is that we have too many injuries in key positions then that is a legit excuse. This team is as good as any when we have our guys. They are getting healthy and will be back. So I know this team will be okay. Meanwhile, so many others are in panic mode because this is what they do. They think this is what Cowboys fans are supposed to do because it's all they have ever known. Just chill people. Our guys are getting healthy and will be back and the team will be unbeatable again.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been saying that the reason we are soft is because of the Jones family. We don't have a football identity. We are just a popular circus act. One week we look great, the next awful and we can count on poor performance in Dec and January. It's sad but I am numb to it anymore.
And Jerry likes having a popular act of any kind. I cringe every time he talks about ratings and the team’s popularity. That appears to be “winning” for him.