Overhauling the Defense Part 2-Free Agency

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Cowboys Front Office under Stephen Jones has used Fa in the past to plug holes with low level talent. He wants team building to come exclusively from the draft, resign their own players and will not get into a bidding war over overpaid veterans on the open market. That strategy has really failed over the last few seasons, just look at this year for example, Haha, Poe, Worley were complete fa fails and surprisingly Everson Griffen never panned out. Point is this strategy hasn't worked and are too reliant on drafting well.

I understand there isn't going to be an abundance of cap room, trying to keep it somewhat realistic. In this projection, I am predicting Dak sign a long-term extension and he won't playing on the franchise tag again. This will allow the Cowboys more cap flexibility, along with some other contract restructures for players that the front office views apart of the long-term future. No not touching Jaylon's contract, but I might for Cooper.

This projection is just for the defense, outside of Dak will not discuss any offensive fa's.

In-house free agents/cuts

-X. Woods, Awuzie, Lewis can all test the market and won't return. Thompson is released. Joe Thomas leaves, Sean Lee retires and Aldon Smith plays elsewhere. So pretty much cleaning house. However, that leaves many holes.

Free Agents signed

-DaQuan Jones NT Titans-there aren't many quality 1 tech's available this year, it's basically him or Tomlinson from the Giants, who told teams he wasn't available prior to the trade deadline. If the Cowboys gave Poe 2 years over 10 million, they can sign Jones for a little more. If they are going to be able to stop the run, they are going to need to shore up their interior of the DL.

-Deatrich Wise DE Patriots-we need a replacement for Tyrone Crawford. One who can play multiple spots and become a quality, rotational player. When the Cowboys used Gregory paired up with Crawford, they got excellent production out of the position.

-Mackensie Alexander SCB Bengals-the Cowboys haven't signed a tier 1 fa CB starter since Brandon Carr, I don't believe they will get into a bidding war to overpay for one. The likes of Kevin King, William Jackson, Shaq Griffen will all be out of the team's price range. Alexander was Minnesota's best corner two seasons ago, he is a quality nickel corner.

-Jarrad Davis LB Lions-Davis didn't have his 5th yr option picked out and currently is a backup for the Lions Defense. We need a backup Linebacker who has the ability to play all spots. With Lee/Thomas gone, we need to improve our depth. Would love to sign a player like Perryman, but that will be too expensive. I will address the need in the draft projection.

Two players that have an excellent chance of being released:

-Harrison Smith FS Vikings-Hawkeye mentioned him recently to me that there are rumblings that he will be a cap casualty in the off-season, that they may keep Anthony Harris. Looking at their cap, there is over a 10 million cap savings and they don't have much space. Makes perfect sense to bring in a veteran who can line everyone up and make sure they know their assignments. He should come at a more reasonable rate then a player like Simmons or a Marcus Williams due to his age.

-Geno Atkins DT Bengals-he is another veteran that looks very likely to be a cap casualty, close to 10 million in cap savings. This is another Gerald McCoy type of signing. You take a flyer on an aging veteran to allow our prospects to develop behind him show them what it takes to make it in this league. He has been injured this year, but the prior six years he played at full 16 games.

I think this free agent signing are realistic and feasible. As you noticed they is a common theme, reinforcements up the middle with familiarity to Coach George Edwards.

Final Installment will take an early look at the draft

Last edited:

Majic

Reaction score
Do the Cowboys look to rebuild their DEF to play more of a hybrid look (like the Pats and Giants have done successfully) like they said they would before the season, which is what McCarthy wanted or is this now scrapped?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys Front Office under Stephen Jones has used Fa in the past to plug holes with low level talent. He wants team building to come exclusively from the draft, resign their own players and will not get into a bidding war over overpaid veterans on the open market. That strategy has really failed over the last few seasons, just look at this year for example, Haha, Poe, Worley were complete fa fails and surprisingly Everson Griffen never panned out. Point is this strategy hasn't worked and are too reliant on drafting well.

I understand there isn't going to be an abundance of cap room, trying to keep it somewhat realistic. In this projection, I am predicting Dak sign a long-term extension and he won't playing on the franchise tag again. This will allow the Cowboys more cap flexibility, along with some other contract restructures for players that the front office views apart of the long-term future. No not touching Jaylon's contract, but I might for Cooper.

This projection is just for the defense, outside of Dak will not discuss any offensive fa's.

-X. Woods, Awuzie, Lewis can all test the market and won't return. Thompson is released. Joe Thomas leaves, Sean Lee retires and Aldon Smith plays elsewhere. So pretty much cleaning house. However, that leaves many holes.

Free Agents signed

-DaQuan Jones NT Titans-there aren't many quality 1 tech's available this year, it's basically him or Tomlinson from the Giants, who told teams he wasn't available prior to the trade deadline. If the Cowboys gave Poe 2 years over 10 million, they can sign Jones for a little more. If they are going to be able to stop the run, they are going to need to shore up their interior of the DL.

-Deatrich Wise DE Patriots-we need a replacement for Tyrone Crawford. One who can play multiple spots and become a quality, rotational player. When the Cowboys used Gregory paired up with Crawford, they got excellent production out of the position.

-Mackensie Alexander SCB Bengals-the Cowboys haven't signed a tier 1 fa CB starter since Brandon Carr, I don't believe they will get into a bidding war to overpay for one. The likes of Kevin King, William Jackson, Shaq Griffen will all be out of the team's price range. Alexander was Minnesota's best corner two seasons ago, he is a quality nickel corner.

-Jarrad Davis LB Lions-Davis didn't have his 5th yr option picked out and currently is a backup for the Lions Defense. We need a backup Linebacker who has the ability to play all spots. With Lee/Thomas gone, we need to improve our depth. Would love to sign a player like Perryman, but that will be too expensive. I will address the need in the draft projection.

-Harrison Smith FS Vikings-Hawkeye mentioned him recently to me that there are rumblings that he will be a cap casualty in the off-season, that they may keep Anthony Harris. Looking at their cap, there is over a 10 million cap savings and they don't have much space. Makes perfect sense to bring in a veteran who can line everyone up and make sure they know their assignments. He should come at a more reasonable rate then a player like Simmons or a Marcus Williams due to his age.

-Geno Atkins DT Bengals-he is another veteran that looks very likely to be a cap casualty, close to 10 million in cap savings. This is another Gerald McCoy type of signing. You take a flyer on an aging veteran to allow our prospects to develop behind him show them what it takes to make it in this league. He has been injured this year, but the prior six years he played at full 16 games.

I think this free agent signing are realistic and feasible. As you noticed they is a common theme, reinforcements up the middle with familiarity to Coach George Edwards.

Good job. To improve our defense it is going to have to start with getting better free agents. If we can only get two of guys you mentioned they would improve the defense tremendously. Harrison Smith and Daquon Jones are the guys we should go after.

JBond

Reaction score

Free Agents signed

Appreciate the effort on the write up.

Didn't know Atkins was still playing.

John813

Reaction score
You think there won't be a decent market for Davis?

Haven't really followed him the past few years but I thought he started off strong.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Appreciate the effort on the write up.

Didn't know Atkins was still playing.

He's been injured for the majority of this season, but has a strong track record of durability. Of coarse he would need to check out medically.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Do the Cowboys look to rebuild their DEF to play more of a hybrid look (like the Pats and Giants have done successfully) like they said they would before the season, which is what McCarthy wanted or is this now scrapped?

If Edwards is the DC, the answer is no, but both Jones/Wise have that ability to play in either scheme.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good job. To improve our defense it is going to have to start with getting better free agents. If we can only get two of guys you mentioned they would improve the defense tremendously. Harrison Smith and Daquon Jones are the guys we should go after.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to sign a quality, veteran fa safety. Way too much confusion, too much blown coverages. That doesn't get fixed adding another rookie to the mix. Doesn't prevent them either from drafting another high level safety.

As I mentioned due to lack of depth at the position there is much going to be out there in free agency to address the 1 tech need. Of coarse more players could come available. The need might just have to be addressed via the draft. However, if they could land Jones, it would be a huge get and go a long way of fixing our run defense. Much rather have a proven commodity then putting our hopes on a rookie solidifying the spot or running out A. Woods again.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You think there won't be a decent market for Davis?

Haven't really followed him the past few years but I thought he started off strong.

I know he's coming off a poor season in 2019, but reportedly is having a much better year in 2020 playing multiple spots. Time will tell how his market will be, but this team needs another starting caliber linebacker due to a high impact position prone to injuries as well as Lve's durability concerns. I will be adding another high level prospect in my draft projection.

kevinhickey

Reaction score

Free Agents signed

Do you think it will difficult to accomplish this if Dak signs for $40 million or even signing a franchise tag at around $38 million. What will be the estimated amount for signing our draft class with maybe a top 5 selection and a cap hovering around $175 million. I’m hoping it stays around $190 to 195 million.

Gaede

Reaction score
Man, I think they should sign anybody and everybody who has two legs on defense. But that's gonna be hard to do with Dak.

Gotta shed some dead cap weight this offseason or make the incredibly difficult decision to draft a QB and start anew.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to sign a quality, veteran fa safety. Way too much confusion, too much blown coverages. That doesn't get fixed adding another rookie to the mix. Doesn't prevent them either from drafting another high level safety.

As I mentioned due to lack of depth at the position there is much going to be out there in free agency to address the 1 tech need. Of coarse more players could come available. The need might just have to be addressed via the draft. However, if they could land Jones, it would be a huge get and go a long way of fixing our run defense. Much rather have a proven commodity then putting our hopes on a rookie solidifying the spot or running out A. Woods again.
It seems like you have done your homework on the defense. I know it was frightening to see the lack of talent we have and how the Cowboys depend on players with drug histories/devastating injuries to turn this thing around. On the bright side if we could get the Giants level of defensive play we would be back in the playoffs next season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Do you think it will difficult to accomplish this if Dak signs for $40 million or even signing a franchise tag at around $38 million. What will be the estimated amount for signing our draft class with maybe a top 5 selection and a cap hovering around $175 million. I’m hoping it stays around $190 to 195 million.

I don't think the cap will be in that $175 million range or many teams would have to release many players, the NFL doesn't want this. There have been some rumors that they may burrow from future years. We got to see it how it plays out.

Dak playing on the tag and signing an extension are two separate things. If he signs an extension, they can structure the contract based on their cap needs, a franchise tag the team has to assume full amount for the season. Front Office has already prepared just in case they need to tag him again by restructuring several deals in camp this year.

My Fa projection is in the same range then they spent this year, perhaps a little more, but not by much. As for the top 5 pick, my draft projection has that pick been traded.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It seems like you have done your homework on the defense. I know it was frightening to see the lack of talent we have and how the Cowboys depend on players with drug histories/devastating injuries to turn this thing around. On the bright side if we could get the Giants level of defensive play we would be back in the playoffs next season.

If we clean up some of our turnover issues on offense, fix the kicking game, we won't need an elite defense, just a middle of a pack one. The Giants Defense has turned around this year by adding four players: Leonard Williams, Blake Martinez, Bradberry and Logan Ryan. You look at our defensive needs, they are at in no particular order: DT, LB, CB, S. Point is, it is possible to turnaround our defense in a hurry. We probably will have to do it more of the draft route, but having a top 10 pick in every round makes it far easier.

Creeper

Reaction score
Before we can speculate on FA signings, we need to know two things. Is Dak signed to a long term deal and how is it structured? And, what is the CAP # for 2021?

If they have to franchise Dak again in 2021, even of the CAP does not go down $22 million as some have projected, there is no money to sign free agents of consequence. The Cowboys will have to cut and restructure just to sign Dak. The Cowboys are currently $23 million under the CAP. They are projected to be $33 million under the CAP in 2021 but with only 40 players signed. If Dak is franchised, his CAP impact will be $36.9 million. Jerry did is again. He put the Cowboys in CAP prison.

If they draft a QB in the first round and let Dak go, which is committing to something of a rebuild, they will plays the season with Gilbert and a rookie but they can do something in free agency to fix the defense. I like Dak a lot and would hate to part with him because finding a franchise QB is not easy, but in the long run it may be the best option until they can escape the contracts of Zeke, Jaylon and DLaw.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I can't even begin to look at free agents untill they finalize what the cap. This off-season will be a bit different. Maybe teams finally show restraint and not sign jags to crazy guaranteed deals....won't know till it starts. The only thing we know is stephen will look for cheap high bust potential but potential high rewards too.