Overlooked Problems?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now also in those 8 losses you forgot to mention that the defensive play constantly gave the offense the ball 70,75,80,90 yards away from a TD. There are very few offenses that on a regular basis drive 70,75,80,90 yards for TD's. Between the defense and special teams giving the offense such terrible field position and then make it sound like those 8 losses were all because of the offense. That's like saying it's 12 noon so it's sunny even though there are overcast days.

Which these long drives is the main reason the were the #1 offense in yards. They drove down the field, but failed to get a TD on many occasions and did the Garrett thing, settle for a FG, or did not get a 1st down to have a chance at a TD. Plus some dumb play calls. I blame the Vikings loss, as many of us did on the series at the end.
Most because of age RB's coach was in Moore's ear constantly about running Zeke yup the middle when it was not working.

The offense needs work as well, how ever I think that can be fixed with the new scheme and coaching. And more of Jarwin, less of Witten. We also need an end zone scoring threat. The deferents is still where we need more players.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, fans need to stop bringing up the past Garrett & Marinelli era.

There is absolutely no way both the offense/defense will remain the same with this new coaching staff.

As I keep posting, look forward not back. The past is the past. I look forward to see what happens with renewed hope that MM is here with an entire new staff and schemes, or for the most part anyway.
But all we get is posts about past failures and contract debates.

I can't wait until FA, and actually the draft is over. Then we will just get the "bust" threads and posts. :laugh:

INCowboysFan

Reaction score

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You have the YPG sorted from most allowed to fewest allowed for 2019. If you sort from fewest to most, which is what you should do, then Dallas was #9 in YPG allowed.
I knew I clicked something on that last one from 2019 cause I thought at first glance we were ranked 9th.
Thanks !

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s the same means we ranked our offense. It’s known as the official ranking system of the NFL.

Are we going to defunct NFL official stats to simply support our personal opinions and agendas.

If so then we can basically defunct every great team offensively and defensively in NFL history. That’s where want to go with this?

I want to go somewhere sensible. If you don't, carry on as before.

ondaedg

Reaction score
For all of the clamoring over rebuilding the defense during the offseason with free agents and too draft picks, will that improve the games that the offense only scored 9-12 points? The defense did their jobs against the Pats and Saints, but the offense failed miserably against the better teams in the league. To be honest, the offense was terrible most of the time against teams with winning records. All of the impressive stats came against really bad teams. I am sure that some of you that has no problem with all of the games that the offense was horrible against opposing defenses and didn’t start playing until the second half. The defense was wore out after th offense made them stay on the field so much. Do any if you think that an upgraded defense is going to fix these problems?

I saw a completely different offense after week 3. Suddenly we start going 3TE sets and guys like Devin Smith aren't even suiting up. Something happened in the war rooms that reverted us back to a more predictable offense.

New coaches will see those changes on film and say "well this won't ever happen again", get on the phone with Devin and ask him you ready to play some football!?!?

conner01

Reaction score
Here's my overlooked problem

The punter. The punter. The punter.

Been saying it for months. The punter is terrible. Chris Jones is paid like a top 15 guy but no matter how you spin his stats they always put him in the bottom of the league. His best year he was league average.

I will not leave this soapbox until this obvious upgrade is made, which means I'll be here for years because that's how this team works.
Kicker, punter and entire special teams

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure the team is well aware of the offensive inconsistencies last year, but I assume the coaches (and many fans - myself included) believe the offense can do much better with the current personnel than it showed last year - assuming, of course, that the deals with Dak and Cooper get done. Seems like a reasonable belief given that the offensive talent seems at least as good, and is arguably better, than the 13-3 & 10-6 seasons where we made the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I want to go somewhere sensible. If you don't, carry on as before.
If we can’t establish official NFL stats as a basis for facts then all discussions become futile based solely on opinions and innuendos.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm sure the team is well aware of the offensive inconsistencies last year, but I assume the coaches (and many fans - myself included) believe the offense can do much better with the current personnel than it showed last year - assuming, of course, that the deals with Dak and Cooper get done. Seems like a reasonable belief given that the offensive talent seems at least as good, and is arguably better, than the 13-3 & 10-6 seasons where we made the playoffs.
I’m certainly setting my expectations as high as most did last year in reaching a championship as the barometer.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Statistically, the O ranked 1st in yards and 6th in scoring at 27.1, the Chiefs were only 1 point per game higher. But wait, there's more, TB was higher than both in scoring.

Defensively, the Cowboys were 9th in yards and 11th in scoring and had an average differential of 7 points per game.

Then how, you ask, could this team be 8-8? If you watched it you know how and why stats aren't necessary when you watch them play. #1 offense, would you take that offense over all the other 31 other teams? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Statistically, the O ranked 1st in yards and 6th in scoring at 27.1, the Chiefs were only 1 point per game higher. But wait, there's more, TB was higher than both in scoring.

Defensively, the Cowboys were 9th in yards and 11th in scoring and had an average differential of 7 points per game.

Then how, you ask, could this team be 8-8? If you watched it you know how and why stats aren't necessary when you watch them play. #1 offense, would you take that offense over all the other 31 other teams? I sure as hell wouldn't.
We beat on the most part the teams we should have beat( Jets exception) and lost overall to better teams.

The only other loss I thought we were perhaps better team was Egirls. But we had beat them once. It was a divisional rival game for the division. Not a shocker we lost.

Most experts and handicappers had us anywhere from 4th -7th in conference not winning division.

But everything changed after 3-0 start. Then we looked like a championship caliber team after whipping up on NY, Wash and Mia.

And of course all of this hype surrounding Garrett that we must finally go further or deeper in playoffs. Championship game or bust. All more BS hype , vendettas and agendas.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
For all of the clamoring over rebuilding the defense during the offseason with free agents and too draft picks, will that improve the games that the offense only scored 9-12 points? The defense did their jobs against the Pats and Saints, but the offense failed miserably against the better teams in the league. To be honest, the offense was terrible most of the time against teams with winning records. All of the impressive stats came against really bad teams. I am sure that some of you that has no problem with all of the games that the offense was horrible against opposing defenses and didn’t start playing until the second half. The defense was wore out after th offense made them stay on the field so much. Do any if you think that an upgraded defense is going to fix these problems?

Maybe, maybe not. Some better field position or heavens forbid a pick six or special teams return. Better field position on a turnover could have resulted in an easy TD or FG to decide the game.

But to answer your last question....................I think a turnover prone and better defense would go a long way to helping the offense on some of those down days.

McCarthy coaching instead of Garrett will definitely hope.

But what a guy like you fails to understand is the basic concept that offenses have off days and typically struggle against the best defenses. Thats why having a great defense is so important. Cant rely on the offense to win every time out.

A championship caliber team can usually win with defense, passing game, run game, special teams, coaching.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Which these long drives is the main reason the were the #1 offense in yards. They drove down the field, but failed to get a TD on many occasions and did the Garrett thing, settle for a FG, or did not get a 1st down to have a chance at a TD. Plus some dumb play calls. I blame the Vikings loss, as many of us did on the series at the end.
Most because of age RB's coach was in Moore's ear constantly about running Zeke yup the middle when it was not working.

The offense needs work as well, how ever I think that can be fixed with the new scheme and coaching. And more of Jarwin, less of Witten. We also need an end zone scoring threat. The deferents is still where we need more players.

They needed to be in his ear about running Zeke up the gut, it usually WASN'T working but Moore kept using it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There's more to a successful defense than points or yards alone. How many teams had winning records with our offense's starting field position. In the five games where we had a final possession with a chance to win the game, I think we started inside our own 20 or close to it every time. It's nice when the offense goes on a 70, 80, even 90 yard drive, but when the defense and special teams almost never give you a 40, 50, 60 yard field, you aren't going to score many points in today's NFL.

Starting_Pos.jpg

75boyz

Reaction score

The popular and easiest narrative to support is the tried and true statistical rankings and ignore your post's reality. I will side with you instead.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Offense: 2nd in yards per drive, 4th in points per drive, and 3rd in drive success rate (despite being 30th in average starting field position).

Defense: 15th in yards allowed per drive, 14th in points allowed per drive, and 17th in drive success rate (and allowed the Bears their highest point total of the season).

Clearly, offense is the problem. :rolleyes:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Here's my overlooked problem

The punter. The punter. The punter.

Been saying it for months. The punter is terrible. Chris Jones is paid like a top 15 guy but no matter how you spin his stats they always put him in the bottom of the league. His best year he was league average.

I will not leave this soapbox until this obvious upgrade is made, which means I'll be here for years because that's how this team works.
We all have our pet peeves.

I have always nagged about the lack of creativity from the defense, especially under Marinelli and then Richard.

We never would blitz, just depend on the front 4 to stop the QB and think stunts were the answers.

Mixing up where the pressure came from..LBer blitzes, safety and CB blitzes were as scarce as a locust attack.

We are going to have to change this little hitch in our defense it we are ever again houst the Lombardi.