Pac 12 deadline looming?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A couple of recent statements by Pac 12 ADs have made is pretty clear a media deal is coming, or partner schools will force the issue by Mid-March. --WSU and ASU ADs.

And we have had leaks of late suggesting there will be a deal primarily with either Apple or Amazon to the tune of 27M per team per year for 5-8 years.
ASU AD says that would be just enough to save the conference.
And it might... but would it save it in name only.

Pac 12 has mutual interest with SDSU and SMU which would allow 2-4 schools to bolt but keep the doors of the Pac 12 open.
And if the Pac really drops below 30M with 80+ % streaming? I'd think they may well need those extra teams to stay alive.
Because it's hard to imagine that no one gets antsy.

The entire brand has been tarnished now and member schools are going to feel that heat.
Especially ones who appeal for student experiences and broad access.

Over in SEC country this is how they feel:
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...ootball-oregon-washington-big-12/69920842007/

If the Pac-12 crumbles amid an expiring media rights deal, don’t expect the SEC to feast on the scraps.

Sorry, Washington Huskies, you don’t fit into the SEC’s Southern tapestry. Luke Combs would struggle to fit “Seattle” into his SEC Network anthem, “South on Ya,” in which the country music star sings about gators in the water, swampy Louisiana and Arkansas hollers.

---------------------

So what could happen:

1. PAC 12 Commish GK threads the needle here and gets enough games on ESPN to satisfy teams in the short-term and the lack of interest by other P5 conferences in Stanford, Cal, WSU and OSU save the day.

2. PAC 12 news isn;t great in com,ign weeks and it breaks wide open.
Here’s an idea for logical maneuverings, if the Pac-12 unity pact wavers:

∎ The Big Ten adds Oregon and Washington, solidifying its Pacific Coast presence. The Big Ten’s media rights pie is so lucrative it could afford to add a couple of seats at its table. The Big Ten has been willing to navigate away from its hub and break into new regions. To wit, it once hosted its conference basketball tournament in New York City. With OU and UW on board, the Big Ten would boast the nation’s largest conference at 18 teams. Growing from two to four West Coast schools would offer late-night broadcast opportunities for media rights partners.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah state bolt for the Big 12, ensuring the Big 12's place among the nation’s top four conferences. Colorado is a former Big 12 member, and all four schools fit the identity of a conference that tilts to the Southwest and Great Plains. The Big 12 will include BYU among its four additions in July. Restoring Utah-BYU as a conference clash would be a boon. They were previously conference brethren in the Rocky Mountain Athletic, Skyline, Western Athletic and Mountain West conferences.

Guess we will all FINALLY know in a few weeks.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Oregon and Washington leaving will signal the end of the Pacific whatever conference. I wonder what happens with Stanford and California?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Oregon and Washington leaving will signal the end of the Pacific whatever conference. I wonder what happens with Stanford and California?
It will be interesting with all the stuff going on.

All these brands want their fair share. And Oregon, Washington, Clemson, FSU are brands with a capital B.
I'm not certain PAC 12 folds by any means and rather hope it can hang on but asa B12 guy I also see the Arizona schools frankly as a better fit in the B12.

I believe Stanford is tied to ND and could go independent short-term.
Have also seen Oregon and Wash toss that around as well.
They have enough following to perhaps bundle as a 2-team media rights deal.

I think we could see a pretty interesting group of teams go independent.
Stanford and Cal won't have massive media rights but they do have the big money alumni to pull it off shorter-term.
And Stanford/Cal on Apple + could be very viable.

The ACC stuff is coming sooner than people think.
FSU/Clemson ADs speaking up already saying they need unequal revenue sharing.

Why? Because the ACC deal is absolute trash no matter how much espn propaganda gets put out.
FSU/Clemson are not going to be happy making less money than B12 schools like UCF and Houston in 3-4 years.

Long term there are only going to be 3-4 major conferences. And only 2 making the huge money.

Realistically tho schools like UT, USC and OU were already making top 5 money so this isn't sea level change.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've read that the Big Ten would like to go to 20 teams.....which would eventually include Oregon, Washington...then Stanford, Cal

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I've read that the Big Ten would like to go to 20 teams.....which would eventually include Oregon, Washington...then Stanford, Cal
My guess is long-term you get three 24-team conferences locked into 99-year GOR.

But in shorter-term you'll have SEC and B10 eyeballing each other and fighting over the most prime properties.

I do think School President egos in B1G would love the Cal and Standford addition and I know UCLA and USC can use the Western partners.

It's also a way to get teams in at reduced rates for 5-6 years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Pac 12 CEOs meet today.

They do not meet again until well into April.
Could be a big day in Pac Land.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Never ending saga gets new twist today.

SDSU sent letter to MWC stating intention to leave the conference but asking for 30-day extension to provide written ask and asking to be paid the full 6M payout this year as well to be able to pay out the 17M buy out over 4 years.

The MWC obviously LOL'd at that and stated they would accept the request ot leave and begin processing it.
SDSU with bluff called backed down and said the request wasn't official and asked for a response to its' 3 questions by June 30th.

SDSU has to think it is going PAC 12 but has no official invite or certainty as Pac 12 Media Rights deal isn't signed.
This leaves SDSU in a terrible spot because MWC likely withholds the 6M yearly payout.

4 letter and SInow both have stories up.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Welp... Colorado gave them a deadline and they missed it.
Welcome Home Buffs and Coach Prime.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Pac Commish will finally reveal media deal today.
We should know by EOD how things are going to fall.

My gut says Arizona leaves and still PAC sticks together by adding 2 teams for 2025 and 2 more for 2026 with a streaming deal on Apple that pays 25M per team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think we all know how bad the Media Rights presentation from GK to the PAC Presidents went now.

Led Zeppelin.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Big 10 expected to formerly invite Oregon and Washington.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...et-send-invites-oregon-washington-sources-say

The Big Ten is expected to move ahead with formal offer letters for Oregon and Washington, sources told ESPN's Pete Thamel on Friday.

Sources said a vote by the conference -- which is expected to be unanimous -- would take place Friday to formalize the two schools' admission, barring any last-minute snags.

Big Ten presidents and chancellors met early Thursday morning and authorized commissioner Tony Petitti to explore adding Oregon and Washington, which would follow USC and UCLA in making the jump from the Pac-12.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Arizona to the Big 12
Arizona St and Utah to follow?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Oregon and Washington have officially joined the Big 10.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pac is now down to Stanford, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State.

Was actually hoping Oregon State would get an invite to the Big 12 in place of Arizona State.

Word is that Arizona State President Crow basically went kicking and screaming and was wanting to vote to the GOR and accept the lesser Apple deal.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
If the Pac12 does not expand by next year then they are done because they will not have enough schools to remain a conference.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Pac12 does not expand by next year then they are done because they will not have enough schools to remain a conference.
Pac is down to four teams and have no media deal next year.
Chances are those teams goto MW conference with Stanford possibly going indy unless ND wants to join big ten and ask for. Stanford

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Word now is big 12 gave ok to look at possibly adding two more teams... Rumors are Gonzqga has been offered and Yormark will try to get UCONN for basketball only

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tenor.gif

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Wild stuff but I have been playing college football revamped with this lineup for 6 months.

Next? Jason Scheer who has been rock solid on this, is reporting Brett Yormark already sought and will likely get permission to add 2 more schools (likely basketball only).
His guesses were Gonzaga and UCONN.

My guess is it is Oregon State and UCONN and both bnng football but at very partial shares.
Oregon State has apparently already reached out about joining. They don't mind the travel.

To All the newcomers: WELCOME ABOARD. This truckstop conference is actively engaged and competitive minus helmet brands bullying anyone. You will love it!!!

To holdovers: WE made it baby!!! We survived and thrived. The plan from the day OU/UT announced has been realized to a tee thus far.