Package from 1971 delivered

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is a pretty cool story. They got a package some 50 years late. They ended up tracking down the person whom it was meant for and sent it on to him.

There was a package from 1977 that I would love to get. In that year, I moved away from a small town in Texas. I had to leave my group of friends behind, and was not very happy about it. My family moved to Honolulu because my dad was transferred. Hawaii, of course, has a lot of amazing things, but that didn't make leaving my friends any less difficult.

One day, they all got together and made a recording onto a cassette tape for me with them all cutting up and having fun. And they took a bunch of Polaroids of their little party and of them being goofy.

My best friend told me on the phone that he was sending the package. I couldn't wait to get it. Unfortunately, it never arrived. I figured maybe he wrote my address wrong, in which case he would get it back, and could fix my address and re-send it. But he never got it back either.

Obviously, I was super bummed. Anyway, if that package somehow turned up, it would be amazing. It would be a God-send, especially since my best friend has now passed on. He died in 2020 during the pandemic, though it was cancer that got him.

Anyway, here's the link to the story about the 50-year-late package that did arrive.

https://dustyoldthing.com/1971-package-delivered/

Creeper

Reaction score
Damn I thought it might be the correct parking break cable I ordered in 1971 for my 1968 AMX. American Motors kept sending the cable for the Javelin which was about 6 inches too long.

rags747

Reaction score
Damn I thought it might be the correct parking break cable I ordered in 1971 for my 1968 AMX. American Motors kept sending the cable for the Javelin which was about 6 inches too long.
6 inches too long due to it being for a 6 vs the V8 in the AMX?

Creeper

Reaction score
6 inches too long due to it being for a 6 vs the V8 in the AMX?

No, The AMX was a 2 seat version of the Javelin. The wheelbase was shortened about 6 inches and the back seats were removed. They gave the AMX a fastback. My car had the 390 CI V8. I think they had a 290 CI V8 as well. The Javelin came with a standard V6 I think and was about 12 inches longer than the AMX from bumper to bumper. In any case, 1968 was the first year the AMX was produced. They actually put a tag with a number on the dashboard signifying when the car came off the assembly line. Mine was 1917. There were not a lot of them made that year. But the confusion caused by the Javelin and AMX models created some parts issues at the dealerships and the emergency brake cable was one of them. I love that car. I wish I never sold it.