Packers exempt from celebration rule

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Sunday, April 2, 2006

By VINNY DiTRANI

You see Steve Smith diapering the football, or Chad Johnson proposing to a cheerleader, and you have to laugh. It's funny, and creative, and while it certainly is self-serving, on the surface it appears harmless.
Then again, you are not the defensive back Smith or Johnson just burned to score the touchdown that led to the type of celebration the NFL has outlawed for the 2006 season.

Nothing is funny to a defender just beaten for a score. And watching a wideout rub it in with some premeditated skit might just cause that defensive player to retaliate -- remember George Teague's reaction to Terrell Owens defacing the star at Texas Stadium -- and starting the type of ruckus the league wants to avoid.

That's one reason the owners voted 29-3 last week to curtail those end zone celebrations, which have gotten a little bit out of hand in recent years. Group celebrations and props already had been banished, but now the focus will be on the antics of those zany guys who entertain both when and after they score.

But the crackdown isn't just aimed at preventing retaliatory actions by the defense.

"I think it's needed," said veteran San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer. "The game is about the team, not the individual."

The NFL always has prided itself in being the ultimate team game. And while it has learned to trumpet its individual stars more than it had in the past, the idea of winning the Super Bowl, getting that ring is a constant theme among the players.

But when you think about it, there's no surprise the big actors almost always are the wide receivers on offense, and the cornerbacks on defense. Those are the two positions most detached from the team muck that occurs between the tackles, the spots where one-on-one confrontations most often occur. That kind of matchup breeds individualism, thus the proliferation of attention-seeking actions at those two positions.

What's interesting about the latest attempt to curtail the nonsense is the exemption the famed "Lambeau Leap" has received from the legislation. The Green Bay celebration flies in the face of the new guidelines in several areas: it is premeditated; the player involved does not remain on his feet; and other people are included in the act -- the fans in the stands who catch the leaper.

Yet it appears the "Leap" has been grandfathered into the game as an acceptable action, and the celebrating Packers won't be subject to a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct flag.

More importantly
While the crackdown on celebrations received the most attention, the most important rule change approved at last week's meetings in Orlando Fla., may well be the removal of the down-by-contact disclaimer from the instant replay system. No longer will a fumble challenge be dismissed by the on-the-field ruling of down by contact, even when a whistle is blown.

The measure was voted down a year ago but revived by the Competition Committee and resubmitted for approval. On paper it sounds good: How often have you seen an obvious fumble wiped out by a quick whistle? But a problem could arise determining just when the on-the-field action was affected by that whistle.

For instance, a ball is loose from, as the replay will determine, a legitimate fumble. It rolls away, however, and the pursuers stop when they hear the whistle. Eventually the head linesman picks up the ball. So what is it? Officials' ball, first-and-10?

This could be a little trickier than it appears, and could lead to injuries if some players hold up while others ignore the whistle whenever a ball pops free.

Delayed vacation
Looks as if commissioner Paul Tagliabue's hopes of riding off into the July sunset may be pushed back since the naming of a committee to search for his successor probably will not be completed until this week. Tags still is hoping for the July retirement, however.

The one thing he would like to do before he leaves is to return a franchise to big-market Los Angeles, and he has instituted a committee including the Giants' Steve Tisch and the Cowboys' Jerry Jones to hasten the procedure. Jacksonville owner Wayne Weaver said his club will not be the one to fill the void in L.A., leaving Buffalo, New Orleans and Minnesota as the leading candidates.

E-mail: ditrani@northjersey.com

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I look forward to the days when guys stop celebrating ordinary tackles.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Come on all the best celebrations happens when your team is down 21 in the 4th quarter LOL

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Come on all the best celebrations happens when your team is down 21 in the 4th quarter LOL
I blame all of this on Mark Gastineau.

I don't like most celebrations, but I think it's foolish to stop some and allow others. Stop it at taunting. I don't consider Steve Smith diapering the football taunting.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Hostile said:

I agree. I hate it when a DE gets up and flexes his muscles after "touch tackling" the RB that just lost his footing....

nonsense.

burritopunk

Reaction score
The Lambeau Leap applies to all teams, not just the packers. Whenever a player jumps into the crowd it's considered the lambeau leap.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I blame all of this on Mark Gastineau.

I don't like most celebrations, but I think it's foolish to stop some and allow others. Stop it at taunting. I don't consider Steve Smith diapering the football taunting.

I agree I dont see the harm in some of the celebrations, but if you are gonna stop them stop them all

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
burritopunk said:
The Lambeau Leap applies to all teams, not just the packers. Whenever a player jumps into the crowd it's considered the lambeau leap.

The only reason it was left untouched and not a penalty is because it is the packers thing

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ya know, I'm really sick and tired of high fives. Everytime some RB breaks a few tackles and makes a touchdown his teammates come and give him a high five. It's about the team not the individual.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
what happened to the good old slap on the helmet and getting back to the huddle for the next play?

Renesis

Reaction score
kowboys 05 said:
what happened to the good old slap on the helmet and getting back to the huddle for the next play?
Those don't get you on SportsCenter.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
You see Steve Smith diapering the football, or Chad Johnson proposing to a cheerleader, and you have to laugh. It's funny, and creative, and while it certainly is self-serving, on the surface it appears harmless.

I personally have never found the antics they are pulling funny or creative. I dont mind the lambeau leap but some of this stuff is getting asinine. Watching someone diaper a football or perform cpr isn't entertaining it is juvenille self serving crap. I for one am all for this rule. Let's get back to football instead of someones idea of sketch comedy.

I dont see how this rule is going to make your sunday afternoons less enjoyable. These players will find other ways to make the sportcenter highlights, but let's let football be the focus again.

just my $.02

parcells4prez

Reaction score
Sure celebrations are rubbing it into the defense's face, but the defense has an opportunity to remedy the situation the next time the receiver comes across the middle. You mock the defense by pulling out a cell phone and celebrating and you get a big target planted right in the middle of your chest. This is still football.

Yeah, it's nice to see the good ole fashioned hand the ball to the ref, but I don't want to see that after every touchdown score. I played football on different levels, and I'm the type of person who would just hand the ball back to the ref, but I still enjoy watching the more creative celebrations.

billknows

Reaction score
Renesis said:
Those don't get you on SportsCenter.

Thats really what these ,diapering the baby ,putting the pigskin,cell phone, all are about ,espn highlites and attention to themselves, with no regard to the team that got them in the end zone....

rkstevens

Reaction score
I'm all for them penalizing stupid TD celebrations, but I don't think it's fair then to allow defensive players to celebrate after making a "big" play, such as the Trotter "Hammer" or the Merriman "Spaz".

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Ya know, I'm really sick and tired of high fives. Everytime some RB breaks a few tackles and makes a touchdown his teammates come and give him a high five. It's about the team not the individual.

I agree. It's all crap.

They also need to outlaw the pat to the butt. They won't do it though cuz if they did Bill Cowher would be lost.

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
Just wait until some player attempts the "leap" and some opposing fan is sitting in the mix with a waiting fist or atleast a shove to knock them right down. Before long just like what happen in baseball will happen in football...a fan from the attending crowd will get involved in the game in a negative manor. There are reasons for those sidelines and those high walls keeping fans off the field. Wait until some little kids finger gets jarred up in one of the face masks and gets ripped right off when the player gets pulled down by his teammates there to join in on the celebration. At least where the other celebrations are concerned there are no liabilities for lawsuits, just hurting some feelings. It really is only a matter of time before something negative comes from this, I mean think about it, only a matter of time before 30+ homecrowds are getting involved in this. Not to mention people are just simply going to be poking their eyes out after seeing it the 50th time by week 2.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Zippy Speedster said:
Just wait until some player attempts the "leap" and some opposing fan is sitting in the mix with a waiting fist or atleast a shove to knock them right down. Before long just like what happen in baseball will happen in football...a fan from the attending crowd will get involved in the game in a negative manor. There are reasons for those sidelines and those high walls keeping fans off the field. Wait until some little kids finger gets jarred up in one of the face masks and gets ripped right off when the player gets pulled down by his teammates there to join in on the celebration. At least where the other celebrations are concerned there are no liabilities for lawsuits, just hurting some feelings. It really is only a matter of time before something negative comes from this, I mean think about it, only a matter of time before 30+ homecrowds are getting involved in this. Not to mention people are just simply going to be poking their eyes out after seeing it the 50th time by week 2.

Damn, you beat me to it.

Sure, the probability of coming into contact w/ some lunatic during "the leap" is a million to one, but if I were a high profile athlete (i.e., a target), I'd think twice before launching myself to a crowd of strangers.

Also, considering the alcohol consumption before and during the game, well, maybe the probability is greatly reduced.

The NFL should ban the Lambeau leap w/ intentions of protecting the players. I realize that a lot of people will say "well it hasn't happened yet", but as mentioned above, it's probably only a matter of time.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Zippy Speedster said:

Lol, thats a good point. What if TO scores for us in Greenbay, say in the playoffs or sometime we play them in the reg season. What if he does the "Leap" in their home field. Sounds like that would be leagle...and I bet really piss of the crowd. I didn't say in the rules that only the home team can do that...TO or any reciever could do that at away games...lol.