Reaction score
Link

Jackson wants out
Nose tackle asks to be cut or traded
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: July 28, 2005

Green Bay -
The Green Bay Packers will have every one of their signed players on board when the first full-squad training camp practice commences Friday, but it doesn't necessarily mean all of them will have grins on their faces.

The first to express his public displeasure with management was nose tackle Grady Jackson, who reported for a mandatory meeting Wednesday night but in a Thursday meeting with general manager Ted Thompson and vice president of player finance Andrew Brandt said he didn't want to play here anymore.

"I just told them I want to be cut or traded," Jackson said as he departed Lambeau Field after his meeting with the two executives. "I just talked to them and told them how I feel."

Asked what response he got, Jackson said: "They said they aren't going to do it, it's not going to happen. I wish it happened because I feel like if they don't want me here, then they should get someone else who they think can do the job."

Jackson stopped short of saying he wouldn't give 100% once in uniform, but he made it clear that his heart was not with the organization the way it was after signing a two-year, $2.31 million contract at the end of the 2003 season. He said he thought the Packers' refusal to upgrade the deal after a year in which he said he played hurt was a slap in the face.

He said he gave some thought to not reporting but decided it would be financially unwise given that the team could fine him $6,000 a day. When he arrived in camp, he went directly to the front office to discuss his situation.

"They act like they don't want to respect me," Jackson said. "The simple fact is that if I'm ranked in the top 20 or top 10 of run-stoppers, then I feel like they need to honor that. They're not honoring that.

"I feel like, get someone else to do the job, let him do the job and let me go."

Jackson was asked several times whether he would give less than 100% for the Packers, but each time he said no. He said he thought his best chance for the future was to play for himself and then hope another team trades for him or makes an offer after the season, when he is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent.

Asked if his heart would be in it, this season, Jackson said, "It's hard to say. Probably will, probably not. I feel like I'm in the top 10 of D-tackles - run-stopper D-tackles - and I'm not getting paid like Ted Washington, Sam Adams and Pat Williams, and what's the different between us? That's how I look at it."

Quite awhile later, wide receiver Javon Walker, another Packer who is unhappy with his contract, left Lambeau Field. Walker was not willing yet to discuss his return to the team, one day after he decided against holding out.

Walker said he would address the situation soon but he gave no clue as to his reasons for reporting after skipping a mandatory minicamp and threatening to holdout out of training camp.

Unlike Jackson, Walker did not have a sit-down with Thompson, the Packers' first-year general manager. Thompson said he expected to talk with Walker soon, but hadn't had the opportunity to do so.

On Wednesday, Thompson heard from a number of fans at the team's shareholders meeting that the Packers should not give in to Walker's demands to renegotiate the final two years of his contract. When asked whether the Packers had done anything for Walker, Thompson said no.

"We don't comment on what we discuss with players or agents, but nothing's changed," Thompson said.

Several media stories quoting sources from the Walker camp have suggested that the Packers dropped the $18,000 in fines the wide receiver accrued for missing a three-day minicamp in April in exchange for him returning, but Thompson said that wasn't true.

"None of those things have been determined," he said.

As for Jackson's request to be traded or cut, Thompson said he preferred not to address a private conversation between himself and a player. He said he thought Jackson could be a productive player for the Packers and was eager to see him on the field for the first time.

Thompson said he found it hard to believe either Jackson or Walker would give less than 100% once he took the field.

"From everything I've been told, and I don't know these fellas as well as a lot of people in this building, both of them are very professional as they go about their craft," Thompson said. "They conduct themselves in a professional manner."

Jackson, who is scheduled to make $665,000 this year, $65,000 of which was advanced to him earlier this year, said he didn't feel a connection with Walker because he has only one year left on his contract and thinks it is not out of line to reward him for his services. Last year, Jackson missed five games because of a dislocated kneecap but returned to play in 10 others and was a solid contributor when in the lineup.

Since he joined the team on Nov. 4, 2003, the Packers are 15-6, including playoffs, when he has played and 2-4 when he hasn't.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the Packers," Jackson said. "It's with upstairs, it's not the Packers. (It's) the business side I'm unhappy with. It's not my teammates and this and that. It's just from the business."​