Packers waive CB Joey Thomas

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Any interest? Probably not. Pretty highly regarded before last year's draft.

Packers waive second-year cornerback Joey Thomas

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
November 2, 2005
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers waived second-year cornerback Joey Thomas in a surprising move Wednesday.

Thomas, who briefly replaced starter Ahmad Carroll earlier this season, was benched Sunday at Cincinnati after he fell down on a key third-down play in a 21-14 loss to the Bengals. He was replaced as the nickel back by rookie Mike Hawkins.

He was angered by being yanked, saying he did not deserve such treatment, especially after Carroll has kept his job despite numerous penalties.

Thomas, a third-round pick last year from Montana State, made 16 tackles and broke up three passes in six games this season, including one start against Cleveland on Sept. 18. He played in 14 games last year as a rookie.

Last season he and Carroll, the Packers' first-round pick in 2004, got into a much-publicized fistfight after a position meeting, which observers said Thomas won handily. Thomas entered training camp as the starter ahead of Carroll after staying in Green Bay throughout the offseason and fine-tuning his game. He was supplanted by Carroll after nagging leg injuries forced him to miss several weeks during the preseason.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
Any interest? Probably not. Pretty highly regarded before last year's draft.

Packers waive second-year cornerback Joey Thomas

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
November 2, 2005
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers waived second-year cornerback Joey Thomas in a surprising move Wednesday.

Thomas, who briefly replaced starter Ahmad Carroll earlier this season, was benched Sunday at Cincinnati after he fell down on a key third-down play in a 21-14 loss to the Bengals. He was replaced as the nickel back by rookie Mike Hawkins.

He was angered by being yanked, saying he did not deserve such treatment, especially after Carroll has kept his job despite numerous penalties.

Thomas, a third-round pick last year from Montana State, made 16 tackles and broke up three passes in six games this season, including one start against Cleveland on Sept. 18. He played in 14 games last year as a rookie.

Last season he and Carroll, the Packers' first-round pick in 2004, got into a much-publicized fistfight after a position meeting, which observers said Thomas won handily. Thomas entered training camp as the starter ahead of Carroll after staying in Green Bay throughout the offseason and fine-tuning his game. He was supplanted by Carroll after nagging leg injuries forced him to miss several weeks during the preseason.

This guy has a lot of very interesting skills but he's very lite. Doesn't have a frame to put on weight IMO. Could be interesting thou.

RedLine

Reaction score
Seems crazy to just cut Thomas like that. He must have really pissed off someone. I think he has talent. With the injury to Henrey we may have some interest. Just not sure if Bill wants to deal with him.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
He doesn't sound like the type of player Parcells is willing to deal with.....in other words a knucklehead.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
When the Packers start cutting CBs free you need to stay away.

Hiero

Reaction score
I remember a lot of people wanting to draft him at safety. maybe big bill should give him a look, a lot better than Dixon and scott.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I remeber this kid flying up the draft boards as a top "small school" prospect. I think he had a very good combine....and a solid hitter.

Who knows...maybe FS material. 6'1/295

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I'd be for giving him a look, but I'd be leery of a guy that Jim Bates is ready to send packing.

Reportedly, he and Carroll don't exactly get along (Thomas reportedly thumped him in a fight), so maybe one had to go and the Pack decided to stick with the guy with the bigger contract.

He was originally at University of Washington, but left because the team tried to move him to tailback then safety.

Some slight flags, but I'd take a look at him. He is raw considering he played at Montana State, but has some nice upside.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/joey_thomas

superpunk

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I remeber this kid flying up the draft boards as a top "small school" prospect. I think he had a very good combine....and a solid hitter.

Who knows...maybe FS material. 6'1/295
At 6'1, 295 lbs, he should consider being a lineman.;)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
He doesn't sound like the type of player Parcells is willing to deal with.....in other words a knucklehead.
:hammer:

I liked his skills in college but there are several red flags with his character, even going back to college.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

I recall reading this past offseason that Coach Parcells noticed him at the Senior Bowl practices, so who knows.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
LOL...ooopss. I meant 195 of course...silly me.

then I guess the only explanation for his poor performance in coverage is that he sucks.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Hell, we signed Dixon and Scott, the least we could do is take a look at this guy.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
abersonc said:
then I guess the only explanation for his poor performance in coverage is that he sucks.

Honestly...have no clue about his performance...have not watched him at all since the draft. At combine showed some skills, but that's kid stuff.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Is the waiver wire based on last years standings or the current seasons record? I don't know that we'd be in a position if its based on this season if BP and Jerry were even inclined to take a look.

Joey Thomas

Prospect Profiles

Joey Thomas
Position: Cornerback
College: Montana State
Height: 6-0
Weight: 195
Hometown: Seattle, Wash.

Analysis | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW
Rising star who was regarded as the best shutdown cornerback in the NCAA Division I-AA ranks … The former all-state high school quarterback originally enrolled at the University of Washington, but left the program when the coaching staff reneged on its promise to play him at cornerback (tried to convert him to halfback, then safety) … The two-time All-American and All-Big Sky Conference selection possesses outstanding quickness and leaping ability … "Joey tilts the field in our direction," MSU head coach Mike Kramer said. "His ability to shut down any receiver we face is a tremendous, tremendous asset. He makes our game plan a lot easier knowing that no matter what kind of receiver they have on the other side of the ball, Joey will lock him down." … Started 39 of 42 games at MSU, recording 122 tackles (84 solos) with two sacks for minus-12 yards, seven stops for losses of 23 yards, 11 interceptions for 45 yards in returns, 41 pass deflections, a blocked kick, nine kickoff returns for 154 yards (17.1 avg) and a 9-yard gain on a rushing attempt.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Lean, but well-muscled athlete with a good bubble, slender hips, long arms and legs, split high and showing good muscle definition in the arms and calves … Stays close to receivers, especially vs. double moves, locking on to his assignment and refusing to allow any cushion … Shows a strong hand punch in press coverage … Smooth and quick in his backpedal, showing above-average hip flexibility to transition fast with no wasted motion … Plants and drives to break up slants … Has the speed to cover, track and jump to make plays on the ball in the air downfield … Has the sudden acceleration needed to recover when beaten or when pursuing plays across the field … Tracks and locates the ball well, timing his jumps with good body control and will not hesitate to compete for the pigskin in a crowd … Very aggressive in run support, avoiding the trash well by using his hands to defeat cut blocks … Physical tackler who will face up and explode into the opponent upon contact … Takes well to hard coaching and is willing to help out the less-experienced teammates after practice … Fiercely competitive with a passion for the game, excelling when facing top-level competition.

Negatives: Locks on and runs with the receiver well in man coverage, but guesses and gambles too often (can be fooled by play-action) … When he peaks into the backfield or gambles on the play (giving a big cushion), he generally pays for it … Smooth in his backpedal, but will shuffle his feet, at times, causing him to be late on his breaks … Will extend for the ball, but lacks natural hands (prefers to cradle) … Lacks maturity off the field (confident, but borders on arrogant) … Has great speed, but would be a dangerous option as a punt or kickoff returner because he does not field the ball properly and fails to wait for blocks to develop.

AGILITY TESTS
4.4 in the 40-yard dash … 1.43 10-yard dash … 355-pound bench press … 425-pound back squat … 370-pound front squat … 264-push jerk … 291-pound power clean … 38½-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-2 broad jump … 3.93 20-yard shuttle … 31 7/8-inch arm length … 9 1/8-inch hands … Right-handed.
HIGH SCHOOL
Attended John F. Kennedy (Burien, Wash.) High, playing football for coach Bob Bourgette … Two-time all-state and all-area selection as a quarterback … Rushed for over 100 yards four times and completed over 60 percent of his passes as a senior … Ranked second in the state with eight interceptions on defense as a junior.
PERSONAL
Family Science major … Born Aug. 29, 1980 … Resides in Seattle, Wash.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
During that draft BP was supposedly wanting Joey Thomas but the Packers took him well before the Cowboys next pick came up.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
During that draft BP was supposedly wanting Joey Thomas but the Packers took him well before the Cowboys next pick came up.

Yep, Mickey said that the Packers broke the Cowboys' hearts by taking him. They really wanted him, and were reportedly trying trade up to get him. .

I would trade Joey Thomas for Nate Jones's roster spot. I don't even know what Nate Jones does. I don't know why Green Bay released Thomas, but this is what bad teams do ... they let the cloud of losing effect their decision making process, and they make rash, dumb mistakes like this in overreaction.