Packers waive CB Joey Thomas

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
Any interest? Probably not. Pretty highly regarded before last year's draft.

Packers waive second-year cornerback Joey Thomas

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
November 2, 2005
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers waived second-year cornerback Joey Thomas in a surprising move Wednesday.

Thomas, who briefly replaced starter Ahmad Carroll earlier this season, was benched Sunday at Cincinnati after he fell down on a key third-down play in a 21-14 loss to the Bengals. He was replaced as the nickel back by rookie Mike Hawkins.

He was angered by being yanked, saying he did not deserve such treatment, especially after Carroll has kept his job despite numerous penalties.

Thomas, a third-round pick last year from Montana State, made 16 tackles and broke up three passes in six games this season, including one start against Cleveland on Sept. 18. He played in 14 games last year as a rookie.

Last season he and Carroll, the Packers' first-round pick in 2004, got into a much-publicized fistfight after a position meeting, which observers said Thomas won handily. Thomas entered training camp as the starter ahead of Carroll after staying in Green Bay throughout the offseason and fine-tuning his game. He was supplanted by Carroll after nagging leg injuries forced him to miss several weeks during the preseason.

the Packers are dumb, they knew he was going to be a gamble when they drafted him in the 3rd round, alot of potential, yet very raw, guess they just didn't have the patience

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Yep, Mickey said that the Packers broke the Cowboys' hearts by taking him. They really wanted him, and were reportedly trying trade up to get him. .

I would trade Joey Thomas for Nate Jones's roster spot. I don't even know what Nate Jones does. I don't know why Green Bay released Thomas, but this is what bad teams do ... they let the cloud of losing effect their decision making process, and they make rash, dumb mistakes like this in overreaction.
Yep I recall Mickey stating that the Cowboys thought highly of Joey Thomas.

I hope we give hima looksee guys like Jacque Reeves and Nate Jones need to be pushed plus Aaron Glenn isn't getting any younger.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
doesn't he fall into the waiver wire routine where quite a few teams ahead of us have first crack at him?