PalmBeachPost: Carter takes first step in quest to return to NFL

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1804635 said:
I just don't see any team being interested in Carter even if he was drug free. It isn't like he was a great QB before the suspension and he has been out of NFL caliber competition for so long that he is no better than a undrafted rookie trying to break into the NFL.

Yep.

At least it looks like he's finally admitting he has a big problem... Though the Cowboys did check him into a rehab clinic (in New England, I think) at least once when he was with us.

Not sure I've seen him admit to the press that he needs help, though, so maybe that's progress.

Oh well. Main thing is that the bad ol' days of him QBing our team are way back in the rear view mirror.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
The Quincy Carter era.....what a waste of time.

I can't believe people continually defended that clown.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1804418 said:
It's not hard to figure out how this thread is going to turn out. :laugh2:

Exactly.

And I don't see why this was posted in this forum. It shouldn't even be in the "Sports" forum. OT is more like it.

Smith22

Reaction score
I don't see him making it back to the NFL, but I wish him the best.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
Cbz40;1804408 said:
Carter takes first step in quest to return to NFL

By Charles Elmore
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Saturday, December 01, 2007

WEST PALM BEACH — Quincy Carter touched down at Palm Beach International Airport at 6:33 p.m. Thursday to check himself into the Hanley Center, a drug-rehab facility.
Half a continent away in Dallas, his former NFL team prepared to face the Green Bay Packers in a game commanding national attention.

Walking out of Concourse B, Carter prepared to face himself.

"I need to work on myself and I also want to get back into the NFL," he said.

"Ultimately I want to begin a new life and do the right thing - have joy in life rather than dragging myself down by smoking."

The sting has faded little from the August day in 2004 when the Cowboys released Carter, the quarterback they once valued so highly, amid allegations he failed a drug test.

Carter pleaded guilty Wednesday to a misdemeanor charge of possessing marijuana in Shreveport, La., where he has played for the Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings of the af2 indoor football league.

In May, he was suspended from the Battle Wings for missing team meetings. He came back to throw a franchise-record eight touchdown passes in one game. On the drug charge, he was a given a suspended jail term, six months probation and a $300 fine.

At age 30, Carter knows he will face a difficult time getting an NFL team to take a chance on him again.

But say this in his favor: Carter agreed to stop in an airport and say a few words before he entered a facility whose clients typically choose to remain unpublicized.

Carter did so at the urging of a Hanley consultant and another former Cowboys player, Hollywood Henderson.

Cocaine, among other things, put Henderson in the headlines more than two decades ago. The two have spoken at length this week.

This should not be a secret, Henderson told him. Going public, and making yourself that much more accountable, increases the chance of success. Henderson said he has embraced that accountability for 24 years.

"Let me tell you the eerie connection," Henderson said by telephone from Dallas. "I was 30 years old when I got sober.

"It just so happens he was a Cowboy and is the same age. I think we made a connection. I'm not going to fix him, but I believe Quincy Carter wants to change his life."

We exalt competition on the field as an emblematic struggle, an epic contest of muscle and mind.

The hardest struggles come with little cheering. They pit an athlete against the one person he cannot escape, not matter how fast or strong he is.

The stories may involve front-page headlines, such as the dogfighting case of Michael Vick.
Or the season-long suspension of Pacman Jones.

Or they may take place as a player falls further and further from the spotlight, as Carter has.
Carter became a starter for the Cowboys his rookie season out of Georgia in 2001, highlighted by a 20-13 victory against the Giants that displayed his running and passing skills.

But in 2004, Dallas abruptly released Carter, who still seemed very much in the running to start despite ups and downs on the field. The roster spot that opened up eventually made way for Tony Romo, who has led the Cowboys to an 11-1 start this season, the best in franchise history.

Carter went on to win two of three games as a spot starter for the Jets, but they, too, released him in 2005.

"He had a relationship with marijuana," Henderson said. "His compulsion to smoke was more important than his contract and his career."

Carter enters a program scheduled to last between four and 16 weeks.

"I see Ricky Williams playing again," Carter said, referring to the Dolphins running back who suffered a muscle tear in his brief return this season. "I only failed one test. Ricky failed about five or six."

Some media reports in 2004 maintained Carter was already enrolled in the NFL's drug rehabilitation program after the 2002 season.

A NFL spokesman declined to say how many times Carter tested positive, but those familiar with league policies say no one is permanently banned and a return is possible if doctors and others agree a player has committed to taking the necessary steps.

The most important struggle may be taking place inside of Carter right now.

There is often a pull of emotions in such moments - anger at perceived past injustices, defensiveness, comparisons to the way others have been treated, all mingled with a desire to make changes.

"I think it's a huge step, not only dealing with marijuana, but dealing with the fact that my employer wrongfully released me and I was not compensated like I was supposed to be," Carter said. "I don't know. I don't want to say the wrong thing ... I'm willing to work on myself first and look myself in the mirror first and kind of go from there."

The next step for Quincy Carter the player can be sorted out in four weeks or more.
Quincy Carter the man deserves his top focus now.
Cmon...NFL again? Sad joke. He cant stay focused enough on himself, let alone being focused to be back on the NFL. Quincy...stay focused on being healthy physically and mentally.

cowboyed

Reaction score
air0208;1804581 said:
I'll believe it when I see it. This guy has failed WAY too many times.

Even if he gets back into the league it would be tough for him to compete. The lack of an agile mind and emotional immaturity undid him. Once he hits a certain stress level back its back to the Bong Show.

Also getting back to the NFL is not a matter of comparing himself to Ricky Williams by stating I failed one test, Ricky failed six. Ricky didn't fare to well in his start and now he is on IR. Also Ricky was under contract still with the Dolphins and they were hard up for a running back.

Which team would take a chance on Carter in 2008? His best chance is if LA gets a team and they call it the Puffers.

jimmy40

Reaction score
aquavita;1804543 said:
I like quincy and think he's better than about half of the QBs in this league when he's straightened up. Laugh if you want, but think about it.
OK I thought about it, BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. He can't even stick with the junior varsity of Arena League.
I think we all know who Quincy smokes pot with.

Jay-D

Reaction score
Hey Quincy, here's some advice:

Why don't you just shut up, and stick with the drugs? People like you and Ricky Williams are NEVER going to stop smoking and snorting, because you just like the drugs too damn much. You've both thrown away your NFL careers more than once. Careers that most people would do anything to have. You've both let countless members of your teams, your friends, and your family down over and over again. There comes a time when we just gotta face the facts and call a spade a spade, old buddy.

Let's just stop wasting everybody's time and money and emotional support. You like being a drug addict. You're good at being a drug addict. So maybe, just maybe, that's your true calling.

In the words of the great Emmitt Smith....."a tiger doesn't change it's spots."

Angus

Reaction score
"I think it's a huge step, not only dealing with marijuana, but dealing with the fact that my employer wrongfully released me and I was not compensated like I was supposed to be," Carter said.

Sounds like he is still in denial. But i hope he can get straight.

:)

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
aquavita;1804543 said:
I like quincy and think he's better than about half of the QBs in this league when he's straightened up. Laugh if you want, but think about it. Almost any team you can think of is having real QB issues right now, he could help them.
Sorry dude, he isn't all that and Carter would be lucky to make it to the practice squad. Carter is 30 and he has been out of NFL for too long, no team will touch him.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
DutchieF.jpg

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
hey you cant hate on a guy for trying to turn his life around. Hate on the player but dont hate the guy for seeing his faults and atleast making the attempt to change.

good luck to him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Quinthy's NFL TD celebration once he makes it big back in the league

pipe from the sock

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aquavita;1804543 said:
I like quincy and think he's better than about half of the QBs in this league when he's straightened up. Laugh if you want, but think about it. Almost any team you can think of is having real QB issues right now, he could help them.
Wow. Just wow.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I wish him the best but he has blown it so many times already I can't imagine him getting another shot in the nfl. His one chance at a comeback at all may be if he can get involved with the new league that was mentioned last summer if that league is still going to be formed.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
aquavita;1804543 said:

Of course, i'm glad it worked out the way it did, because we got Romo, but give the guy at least a little credit.
:omg:

Uh, I'm sorry?