Palmer $118 million deal

burmafrd

Reaction score
Wraps him up untill 2014. Looks like about as cap friendly as you could get with that kind of number. Just makes me think that you really cannot afford too many stars if you want a complete team. In 3-4 years, what happens if they need to spend? the Bengals have a young team- so they are in decent shape.
But there is no way they will be able to afford any big re-ups after this. Just the way it is- even if the cap explodes to $110 million in the next couple of years.
Can you imagine how much it would cost to tie up Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin now? the Colts have come close- though they lucked out with Edge's injury in that he did not get the deal he might have otherwise. Imagine 1993 and us having to re sign all 3? Put that in todays cap- and we would probably have to put at least a third of the entire cap on 3 players. No way you could afford to keep or build much beyond that.

lspain1

Reaction score
Correct burmafrd, but would you do it differently if you had those three guys today? I think you do whatever it took to keep them as Cowboys even though it mortgaged the future a bit. How would the fans take it if you let them walk away for a big paycheck elsewhere?

There are two big paydays in Palmers contract in Year 1 and 2 I believe. Nothing else is guaranteed. But the Bengals did what they had to do to tell the fans they were committed to winning. Would you take Palmer for $118 Mil today? I think I just might. How much did Eli get?

FiveTime

Reaction score
If Jerry's wallet was $118 million lighter and Palmer was a Cowboy, I would be jumping for joy. Is Chad Johnson included in this deal?

"He is the better pass catcher but I'm the better receiver," Keyshawn speaking on his cousin Chad.