Panthers owners throwing drink on fans!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What's revisionist? Young was undersized and plenty were saying Stroud had the higher ceiling in that draft.

Young was worth a 1st round pick but not trading multiple firsts.

No way Young was worth that investment with the number of prospects for '24. None.
They were universally considered the top two QB prospects. I thought you were saying he wasn't thought of that highly. If you wanna argue what was given up fine but you do what you have to do to get a franchise QB.

RS12

Reaction score
Since he doesnt have a number one draft pick, maybe taking his 2nd rounder would get his attention. Supposedly coaches network telling each other to avoid him at all costs.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
They were universally considered the top two QB prospects. I thought you were saying he wasn't thought of that highly. If you wanna argue what was given up fine but you do what you have to do to get a franchise QB.
I'm talking about giving up the draft capital, not where he was evaluated.

There were plenty nervous about him though. Alabama even lied about his height/weight to pump up his capital and when Todd McShay reported it and his real measurables people got hesitant.

Just a quick snip from an pre-draft article:

"Young won’t look anything like a modern NFL quarterback—he won’t look like an NFL quarterback at all. He’ll look like a regular guy who snuck his way into the NFL combine, threw on the players’ gear, and is just trying to not get noticed. He will officially register as a uniquely small player—one that will force one NFL team to take one of the greatest risks, one of the biggest plunges, that we’ve seen in any draft cycle. And he’ll start his journey to become one of the league’s greatest outliers."

Blitzen

Reaction score
I'm talking about giving up the draft capital, not where he was evaluated.

There were plenty nervous about him though. Alabama even lied about his height/weight to pump up his capital and when Todd McShay reported it and his real measurables people got hesitant.

Just a quick snip from an pre-draft article:

"Young won’t look anything like a modern NFL quarterback—he won’t look like an NFL quarterback at all. He’ll look like a regular guy who snuck his way into the NFL combine, threw on the players’ gear, and is just trying to not get noticed. He will officially register as a uniquely small player—one that will force one NFL team to take one of the greatest risks, one of the biggest plunges, that we’ve seen in any draft cycle. And he’ll start his journey to become one of the league’s greatest outliers."
You guys are concentrating waaay too hard on the QB. It’s not that Bryce is so bad (and he may never live up to the 1st overall pick)-it’s that the Panthers gave up two 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders, and DJ Moore (which was absurd on top of the picks). They have no offensive line and no legitimate weapons. These are the type of moves that GM’s that are on a 3-4 year timetable must try when they did not succeed with their previous moves. Matt Rhule fired after 2 years. Frank Reich fired after 11 games this season (shortest tenure in NFL history).

The GM began in 2021. You can tell he’s got almost no time to wait for development. This is the opposite side of the spectrum for NFL GM’s than in Dallas (where you get a lifetime contract). There is no chance for success as a QB or franchise with impulsive decisions like that.

phillycard

Reaction score
I am surprised there were actually fans at the stadium for a Panthers game. What’s the point of going to watch the team lose with the added insult to injury that the Panthers traded the top pick in the draft to the Bears?
Think this was in Jacksonville.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'd invite any Jerry critic to take a look at what's going on in Carolina. David Tepper is an embarrassment not only to the league, but my entire community. There are currently petitions circulating locally calling for his removal and the Panthers beat has completely turned on him. There is such a long list of inept things he's done while owning the team - the drink throwing is only the most recent debacle. I guess the skill set of a billionaire hedge fund guru doesn't translate well to being a football decision maker.

I feel so much second hand shame for friends of mine that spend their hard earned money on Panthers PSLs.

Flamma

Reaction score
What's the back story here? I mean no justification for it either way but was there a previous exchange of words or something?

It seems odd that *anyone* would toss a beer on someone just out of nowhere

I'd be curious to see/hear about the chain of events that led up to this clip.
Just frustration is my guess. They made a horrible trade for Bryce Young. They're in Jacksonville and the game is not going well at all. Se he's hearing these fans cheering all game, and is probably in a bad mood to begin with. Now Young throws a pick and that set him off.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I'd invite any Jerry critic to take a look at what's going on in Carolina. David Tepper is an embarrassment not only to the league, but my entire community. There are currently petitions circulating locally calling for his removal and the Panthers beat has completely turned on him. There is such a long list of inept things he's done while owning the team - the drink throwing is only the most recent debacle. I guess the skill set of a billionaire hedge fund guru doesn't translate well to being a football decision maker.

I feel so much second hand shame for friends of mine that spend their hard earned money on Panthers PSLs.
I'm not defending Tepper by any means but I don't necessarily like the "it could be worse" mantra either

Just because Tepper is doing a deplorable job from both a football and personal life perspective, doesn't absolve Jerry from his documented shortcomings as a GM and as a man

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This guy is a sorry character.

Already read about all the meddling he did on the QB selection.

Now throwing drinks like a spoiled brat.

Looks like we already have our Dan Snyder replacement.

Frank Reich had that same deer-in-headlights look that Norv Turner had when he was fired by Snyder.