Parcells handling of Q.B's

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
Why all the handwringing over Parcells/Henson? Henson will be just fine. Bill has a way of testing his young Q.B's. Likes to see mental toughness in them. If they cant take the heat from the head coach or from competition from within no way they can take the mental rigors of playing QB in the NFL. Bp has a plan for Henson, always has. Look for Henson to be our starter no later than opening day 06. Need a clear sign? Check out Bledsoes contract. In essence its a one year deal. Also, go check out what BP did with Simms back in his Giant days. Scott Brunner had almost 1000 pass attempts his first 4 years in the league? ONE THOUSAND, 250 a year. Did he end up winning rings with BP, NOPE. But Simms did. Would bet anything if Simms would be asked who he thinks BP is groomiing as the long term answer it would be a no brainer. Henson,....in a LANDSLIDE! :bang2:

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
Tell ya another thing....In NO WAY do I believe Testeverde was brought in here to be a backup. NO WAY. The VRF had full knowledge Of Carters drug problems. They would have had to of right? No way was BP gonna have Q lead this team long term. Well before anything came out about Quincy BP and JJ both made the statement many times.." we may be a better team this year but our record wont reflect it". Ahhhhh, does that give you a clue maybe?...LOL He also stated in his 1st year that..." we only have ONE real QB on this team" well, Hutch and Q are both gone, in fact early in his second training camp. That only leaves Romo. My bet is that Romo was the ONE Q.B. Proofs in the pudding....they are GONE, he is STILL HERE. Now heres the real clincher. 1st off forget Hutchinson, he was NEVER in BP's plans. O.K, early last training camp besides Hutch we had Q , Vinny, Romo and Henson. You only carry THREE Q.B's. Are you gonna cut Vinny who they litteraly JUST SIGNED?...Nope, o.k he's safe. Are you gonna cut Henson who they just traded for? NOPE he's safe. Now its down to Romo and Q. Who you gonna cut? Lets see, you had Payton and BP both raving about Romo, in fact Payton even pushed to have Romo have a crack at starting. Now compare that to a drug addicted Quincy who's drug problems the team most certainly knew about. We the FANS didnt know but you can bet your last doller the team did. The answer is simple. The second Vinny was signed Q was a dead duck. "no pun intended..LOL". The VRF simply couldnt afford to go public with the decision right away because it would have cast 04 as a rebuilding year coming off a 10-6 year. Its all right there for anyone to see. Henson was handpicked by BOTH BP and Jerry. He IS the future of this franchise. Cant wait! What does any of this have to do with Henson? ALOT! It shows the VRF's mindset and the reasoning of why DREW was brought here in the 1st place....

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I like a good conspiracy theory:) but in this case... I think Romo was odd man out...I think Bill believed in Q or wanted to believe in Q...And for all of Romo's moxie I have yet to see any real good Qbing from him or anything for that matter that would make me think he would be worth developing...But I do not attend practices nor am I privy to any inside info so who know Romo may just be playing opposum in pre-season games

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
BP's alot smarter than some give him credit for. ALOT smarter. Heres an example. In Q and BP's only season together some wondered aloud where the BP of old was. Why he seemed on the surface anyway to be going a little easy on Q. Simple, he knew Q probably wasnt gonna be the guy anyway. Plus BP probably wanted to see what kind of charecter he had. In other words, if Q STILL was involved with drugs even after being named starter and having the benefit of BP going easy on him what would he be like when BP turned the heat up? well, we all saw the answer didnt we!

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I like a good conspiracy theory:) but in this case... I think Romo was odd man out...I think Bill believed in Q or wanted to believe in Q...And for all of Romo's moxie I have yet to see any real good Qbing from him or anything for that matter that would make me think he would be worth developing...But I do not attend practices nor am I privy to any inside info so who know Romo may just be playing opposum in pre-season games
I certainly understand your feelings on the subject. Thing is though, he's still here while the dufus brothers Q and Hutch are both gone. NOTHING in this world speaks louder than that. Anything else is just pure speculation.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
Heres another bit of evidence. Maybe someone can find the article and post it. Anyway, early in training camp last year an interview/article was done on Tony Romo. In it he was asked his thoughts on being cut due to the log jam at Q.B. He basically LAUGHED right at the reporter. He really did, its there if you read it. I mean, he didnt just come off as confident, he came off like he was looking at the reporter as if he were a moron. Like Tony knew something WE DIDNT. Go look it up, its THERE, litteraly laughing right in the reporters face...LOL Gotta boogie. If I have time maybe I'll hunt it down and post it later unless someone beats me to it....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A few notes:
The Valley Ranch Braintrust knew about QC's off-field issues in full and then still gave him the job. He handled that job well enough to be the returning starter. However he was on strike 3 and when he swung and missed they let him go. VT was brought in as insurance and BP ultimately chose to ride with him instead of getting a better solution brought in. The folly of that decision still boggles me. With QC on the thin ice he was on, we really should have had a better backup solution, IMHO.

Romo is a golfer. Basically thats all you need to know. BP detests guys who don't live, breathe and die for football. Golf? A hobby to support charities not a career path. Romo is not going to unseat Henson as long as BP is here. He may be used as a token in Henson's development but thats his only function under Bill.

Bledsoe to me is a lot like Brunell last year. He is an older QB who needs a good OL. He holds the ball too long. The only real difference to me is that Bledsoe relies a lot less on his feet and has not been robbed of his main assets yet. Hopefully thats enouhg to allow Bledsoe to play 1 year at a reasonable level so we aren't forced to play Henson before he's ready and ultimately Ramsey him as the Skins did by drafting a 1st round QB. The very worst case, disaster of a season scenario for Dallas would be to have a Commander season of last year. 6 wins, benched vet qb, underperforming potential QB scares you into trading up for a franchise QB in following draft.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
jterrell said:
A few notes:
The Valley Ranch Braintrust knew about QC's off-field issues in full and then still gave him the job. He handled that job well enough to be the returning starter. However he was on strike 3 and when he swung and missed they let him go. VT was brought in as insurance and BP ultimately chose to ride with him instead of getting a better solution brought in. The folly of that decision still boggles me. With QC on the thin ice he was on, we really should have had a better backup solution, IMHO.

Romo is a golfer. Basically thats all you need to know. BP detests guys who don't live, breathe and die for football. Golf? A hobby to support charities not a career path. Romo is not going to unseat Henson as long as BP is here. He may be used as a token in Henson's development but thats his only function under Bill.

Bledsoe to me is a lot like Brunell last year. He is an older QB who needs a good OL. He holds the ball too long. The only real difference to me is that Bledsoe relies a lot less on his feet and has not been robbed of his main assets yet. Hopefully thats enouhg to allow Bledsoe to play 1 year at a reasonable level so we aren't forced to play Henson before he's ready and ultimately Ramsey him as the Skins did by drafting a 1st round QB. The very worst case, disaster of a season scenario for Dallas would be to have a Commander season of last year. 6 wins, benched vet qb, underperforming potential QB scares you into trading up for a franchise QB in following draft.
Im in TOTAL agreement with you on Romo not unseating Henson. HE WONT. This will be Hensons team sooner more than later. In my earlier posts I was just showing that in my mind the real battle was between Q and Romo in essence because Vinny and Henson werent going anywhere. Although I do think Romo may very well make a nice number 2 man. He certainly has the golf thingy down right..LOL

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Since Troy Aikman retired we have had a glaring need at QB. The list of guys who have played there since his release isn't a who's who, it's a why. None of them have been QBs who could start for another NFL team yet were handed the reins of the flagship franchise of the NFL which has a proud tradition of solid QBs.

People have wanted to pretend some of these guys could develop into a good QB.

I cannot understand why Bill Parcells wanted to keep Hutch and Q in 2003. It really is a mystery to me. In my opinion he squeezed every bit of effort out of Q that year but he had to do it by putting him on a leash. Those were his words, not mine so don't anyone bite my head off.

When everything went down with Q's release it was revealed that it was not Q's first failed drug test. He had in fact failed one leading up to his meltdown game in 2002 against the Cardinals. Of course Valley Ranch knew of that failure. Every team owner is informed, but the owners are not supposed to make that info known to the Coaching staff and I believe Bill and Jerry when they said Parcells knew nothing of it.

Q's job was safe only if he played lights out. I don't agree with the Testaverde was brought here to be a backup idea. I've said it before, I knew in March that the Cowboys were not sold on keeping him. Testaverde himself said in his PC that he was going to be given a chance to start.

It didn't take many practices for Bill to see that Vinny could still throw the ball pretty well. At that point Q was gone. Parcells was comfortable with someone he was familiar with. By that time Jerry had been notified of the 2nd failed test so he didn't fight it at all.

Testaverde's biggest drawback was his age. If not for that he probably is back this yer. However, it just so happened another of Bill's familiar faces was made available.

I'm not sold on Bledsoe because I want to get on with building for the future, but I'm not naive enough to think he isn't the best option we've had since Troy exited stage left. Of course he is.

For the first time in a long time we're handling QB right. I admit I'm impatient and want to see Henson out there. I don't apologize for being a QB elitest. I want to see whether the kid has the stones to do the job or not. If not, I'd like to get on about the business of moving on.

Whether I enjoy admitting it or not, Parcells has done the best he could at QB and is handling things right. He's not rushing anyone and he absolutely got the best he could have out of Q and Vinny. It's too bad they were so bad, but that's life.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I still believe Bill made a huge mistake in not playing Henson in the last few games of the season. Vinny was NOT playing well and we were NOT going to make the playoffs. He could have put Henson in and played him for a quarter or two and pulled him out if the heat got to be too much.

More than anything else, Henson needs playing time. Protecting him year after year will not develop him into a starter. He needs to get in the game and play, period.

Last year I said that signing Vinny would hurt Henson's development and I was shouted down on a couple of forums, but sa it has turned out I was right, signing Vinny has hurt Drew's development. If not for Vinny, Carter would proabably have been the starter until he was benched and Henson would have played, thus getting a chance to develop last year.

With Bledsoe as the starter, how much playing time will Henson see this year? If Parcells was not willing to sit Vinny last year when we had no chance of making the playoffs, what are the chances of him benching Bledsoe when we have a good shot? How about zero.

The notion that Henson will be the starter in 2006 is a fantasy. He will NOT get any playing time this year unless Bledose gets hurt (God forbid!).

The point of my rant is this: Henson is NOT our QB of the future, not according to Parcells. For whatever reason, Parcells sees something in him that precludes him giving the kid a chance. Maybe he's right and maybe he's wrong, we won't know that for a few years at least, but he had a chance last year to see what the kid had and didn't take it. Now there will be no more chances unless Bledsoe goes down. Even then it wouldn't surprise me to see Romo thrown in instead of Henson.

The two opportunities Henson had last year he showed me that he has a good arm, good pocket awareness, and is tough. He played very well in the final minutes of the Ravens game, going 6 for 6 and a TD, but struggled to handle the blitz the Bears threw at him. Most QBs struggle in their first start especially when the other team throws everything in the book at him. Even though he only completed 4 of 12 passes I still saw some good things from him in that game.

Bill is NOT always right and has made his share of mistakes over the years. I believe his handling of Henson last year was one of those mistakes and it will cost us any potential Henson may have as he isn't likely to ever get a chance to develop in Dallas.

Here's to hoping Bledsoe can stay healthy and win games for us for the next couple of years.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
I still believe Bill made a huge mistake in not playing Henson in the last few games of the season. Vinny was NOT playing well and we were NOT going to make the playoffs. He could have put Henson in and played him for a quarter or two and pulled him out if the heat got to be too much.

More than anything else, Henson needs playing time. Protecting him year after year will not develop him into a starter. He needs to get in the game and play, period.

Last year I said that signing Vinny would hurt Henson's development and I was shouted down on a couple of forums, but sa it has turned out I was right, signing Vinny has hurt Drew's development. If not for Vinny, Carter would proabably have been the starter until he was benched and Henson would have played, thus getting a chance to develop last year.

With Bledsoe as the starter, how much playing time will Henson see this year? If Parcells was not willing to sit Vinny last year when we had no chance of making the playoffs, what are the chances of him benching Bledsoe when we have a good shot? How about zero.

The notion that Henson will be the starter in 2006 is a fantasy. He will NOT get any playing time this year unless Bledose gets hurt (God forbid!).

The point of my rant is this: Henson is NOT our QB of the future, not according to Parcells. For whatever reason, Parcells sees something in him that precludes him giving the kid a chance. Maybe he's right and maybe he's wrong, we won't know that for a few years at least, but he had a chance last year to see what the kid had and didn't take it. Now there will be no more chances unless Bledsoe goes down. Even then it wouldn't surprise me to see Romo thrown in instead of Henson.

The two opportunities Henson had last year he showed me that he has a good arm, good pocket awareness, and is tough. He played very well in the final minutes of the Ravens game, going 6 for 6 and a TD, but struggled to handle the blitz the Bears threw at him. Most QBs struggle in their first start especially when the other team throws everything in the book at him. Even though he only completed 4 of 12 passes I still saw some good things from him in that game.

Bill is NOT always right and has made his share of mistakes over the years. I believe his handling of Henson last year was one of those mistakes and it will cost us any potential Henson may have as he isn't likely to ever get a chance to develop in Dallas.

Here's to hoping Bledsoe can stay healthy and win games for us for the next couple of years.

Sadly I am in agreement except for the God forbid part;)

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
THUMPER said:

I beg to differ somewhat. 1st off, check out Bledsoes contract, the details. Its kinda meant as a one year deal, maybe 2 but as a backup. Second , check out how BP handled Simms, the playing time a stiff like Scott Brunner got. In the end it all paid off for Simms. How did Testeverde do in his time under Bill with the Jets? Ohhh, only the best he's EVER done in his career. How about Bledsoe under BP in NewEngland? Same as Testy. Were gonna be fine! OOOPS forgot. How about Hostettler? Oh yeah, WON A SUPERBOWL under Bill. YUP! were gonna be fine as wine. Make book on it...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Henson will get his chance, Parcells realizes that being away from the game was going to take Henson some time. I find it funny because Parcells did not throw a young QB who had been away from the game for 3 years that means he does not think Henson can do it, I think that is more of the mentality of the fans and not that of Parcells.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hos said:
Since Troy Aikman retired we have had a glaring need at QB. The list of guys who have played there since his release isn't a who's who, it's a why.

Nice...I like that...then again I don't because it tells us how far we have fallen in terms of QBs on a team that has been known for great QBs. :mad:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Nice...I like that...then again I don't because it tells us how far we have fallen in terms of QBs on a team that has been known for great QBs. :mad:

Money played a part in the why with some of the players we brought in. QB is one if not the highest paid position in football and for a good while we did not have the cash to go after more qualified QB's which is why we signed Hutchinson and took a chance on Leaf they came in at cheap prices with little risk against our cap. I would agree the big mistake was not drafting a QB while Troy was still on the team allowing a young QB to learn behind Troy

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Money played a part in the why with some of the players we brought in. QB is one if not the highest paid position in football and for a good while we did not have the cash to go after more qualified QB's which is why we signed Hutchinson and took a chance on Leaf they came in at cheap prices with little risk against our cap. I would agree the big mistake was not drafting a QB while Troy was still on the team allowing a young QB to learn behind Troy
Lot of truth in that. We tried to win with bargain of the month QBs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Lot of truth in that. We tried to win with bargain of the month QBs.

When your cap strapped what else can you do? We took gambles in several players who were at the end of their career or coming off injury with a lot of doubt surrounding them. We just did not have the money to go after quality players and QB was one of those position.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to let me know how I can get copies of all the practice film you've obviously managed to get your hands on. I mean since some of you just know Henson is a lock to eventually start and Romo is this golfing dufus headed straight towards the waiver wire, I can only assume a bootleg copy of all practices exists amongst a few of you and I would love to have a copy for myself.
wink.gif

I agree with many of you that BP should have played Henson AND Romo after the N.O. game. But he didn't and all we have to go on is meaningless pre-season games and those measly 2 1/2 quarters that Henson did play.

It's hilarious to me how people are actually breaking down Henson's 6 for 6 "mop up" in junk time vs Baltimore as well as his Thanksgiving game performance. It's all we have I guess, but one can hardly tell much from any of that. Hell, some of you guys must have thought Clint Stoerner was the next Brett Favre after his 1st half play against the Giants in 2002. I wonder what you thought after the game though?

Face it guys...there just isn't enough information to crown either guy "the future" or a "washout." Can we wait until we see them play a significant number of snaps in the regular season before outright declaring one or the other is "the answer"???
bang_head.gif

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Waffle said:
Can we wait until we see them play a significant number of snaps in the regular season before outright declaring one or the other is "the answer"???

no...

munkee

Reaction score
Parcells most definitely knows more about the game than anyone here. But he is far from perfect and I wouldn't assume he has some grand plan in place for the QB's. If my memory serves me correctly this is the man that past on Delhomme and Volek. Each could have been had for a song.