Parcells is not stupid

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If you look at the Vandy pickup you can reasonably think only four things.

1. Parcells is stupid.

Why else would you pick up a kicker that can't kick off then bemoan the fact he can't kick off. I don't think that Vandy's inability to kick off is suddenly thrust upon the team. This was a well known fact. So Parcells would be stupid to believe Vandy had suddenly developed the capacity to kickoff.

2. Parcells is insane.

Another reason for him to pick up Vandy then complain he can't kick off is he was not competent at the time. I find that hard to believe.

3. Parcells is telling a lie.

Well I believe he is telling the truth. I don't believe Vandy can kick off well enough. In fact he may be injured too much to kick off at all and then be available for FG duty. But even if he was totally well he still could not kick off well enough. That's my opinion and seems to be most everyone else's

4. Parcells is telling the truth.

Ok I said I believed him.

So why would he publically complain about a pick not performing?

It's easy. Parcells is letting Jones and every elso know that this is what you get when you don't listen to him. I believe J Jones put a lot of pressure on getting Vandy. Jones wouldn't listen to Parcells protests so Parcells gave him his way. And now this is what Jones gets for doing so. Not to mention the rest of the organization.

It all makes sense if Parcells is talking to Jones. Here you go Jones. You got what you wanted and now you have to live with two kickers and the possible repercussions of losing a roster spot.

JMO. If this is a repost please forgive.

What do you girls and guys believe?

canters

Reaction score
Mind games with Vandy? Can't see us siging a K without BP being on board. TO is another story however.

ghst187

Reaction score
I don't think ANYONE we've brought in has been brought in without BPs direct input and final approval
kind of tired of all the conspiracy theories that JJ forces players on BP...I don't buy it.
Why aren't the same kind of theories abounding in Wash where Snyder buys all of the overpriced "yesterday's toys" and Gibbs is left with garbage? I would venture to guess that its much worse like that in Wash than in Dallas....

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
If you recall it was Parcells that said he had to pressure JJ into signing him. JJ did not want to spend money on a kicker

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
If you recall it was Parcells that said he had to pressure JJ into signing him. JJ did not want to spend money on a kicker

Thats what I remembered. Jerry has never wanted to spend the kind of money on a kicker that he gave Vandy.

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
well Jerry gave up that option of not spending when he got rid of the old Kicking coach. I can do the math on the net difference in pay, and that was a bad business decision on JJ's part, dumping the old kicking coach (or letting him go)

superpunk

Reaction score
HighTechDave said:
well Jerry gave up that option of not spending when he got rid of the old Kicking coach. I can do the math on the net difference in pay, and that was a bad business decision on JJ's part, dumping the old kicking coach (or letting him go)

I believe his current protege just missed back to back to back to back (4) field goals on sunday.

Not the best example to cite this week. :D

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
HighTechDave said:

IIRC getting rid of Hoffman was also a Bill Parcells led move.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrongf here but I don't remember Suisham kicking off nearly this well last year at all. I actually thought he hit them pretty short last year.

Maybe at the time they thought they would be gaining very little with Suisham!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I agree 100%, Jobberone. Jerry said on his pregame show before the Jax game that they pretty much knew that they'd need a kickoff man when they signed Vandy. Yet Parcells talks almost every day about how much he hates dressing two kickers.

The two don't add up. And I think it's pretty easy to see what happened.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Last year he had 14 kickoffs with an avg distance of 58.9 yards which would average the 11 yard line.

Vandy can get close to that!

That has to be it - what happened to suisham over the summer.

He average 69 yards on 6 in Washington and in Jax he hit 60,70,70 on three not counting the onside.

This boy was on steroids over the summer!;)

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Did it ever occur to anyone that Parcells just likes to complain? He has always complained about some player or other for as long as I can remember. It is just his personality, he likes to belly-ache about something all the time.

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Did it ever occur to anyone that Parcells just likes to complain? He has always complained about some player or other for as long as I can remember. It is just his personality, he likes to belly-ache about something all the time.

nailed it Thumper

:bow:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Wonder if McBriar can learn to kickoff, .. he sure has the leg for it.

Seems like a logical option to me.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
Wonder if McBriar can learn to kickoff, .. he sure has the leg for it.

Seems like a logical option to me.

This has me puzzled too. I've been kicking things all my life and if you can drop kick a long distance you shouldn't have any problem kicking a dead ball out of the end zone a few times too.

Mash

Reaction score
Its always Jerry Jones fault....

if not him....then it must be QC.....:)

In Bill we trust.....

sago1

Reaction score
It was well reported during FA that Parcells, Ireland and Jerry Jones' son Stephen tried to talk Jerry Jones into paying the big bucks to sign Vinaterie, who came to NE when Parcells was the H/C to Parcells familiar with him. JJ didn't want to ante up the money for Vinaterie.

Finally after Vinaterie was signed by Colts (and a few option FG options got away), Parcells, Ireland & Jones son finally convinced Jones to put out the big bucks for Vanderjagt despite strong probability he couldn't kick off. I think Parcells complaining about making decisions re kicker is all theater but also to remind Jones we wouldn't have this problem if we had signed Vinaterie (of course Vinaterie not injuried but might not have been if he had been in Dallas).

Stautner

Reaction score
sago1 said:
It was well reported during FA that Parcells, Ireland and Jerry Jones' son Stephen tried to talk Jerry Jones into paying the big bucks to sign Vinaterie, who came to NE when Parcells was the H/C to Parcells familiar with him. JJ didn't want to ante up the money for Vinaterie.

Finally after Vinaterie was signed by Colts (and a few option FG options got away), Parcells, Ireland & Jones son finally convinced Jones to put out the big bucks for Vanderjagt despite strong probability he couldn't kick off. I think Parcells complaining about making decisions re kicker is all theater but also to remind Jones we wouldn't have this problem if we had signed Vinaterie (of course Vinaterie not injuried but might not have been if he had been in Dallas).

I missed this reporting - I never read that Jones refused to do what his coach and management pushed hard for.

Obviously it can and probably does happen, but frankly I'm a little surprised that this kind of info would be made public knowledge by Bill, Stephen, Jerry and Ireland - it would be out of character for any of those guys to question Jerry in the media - or for Jerry to allow it.

Nevertheless - it really doesn't matter. I personally would prefer Vinatieri, but the team has to make decisions that include economic and other factors, and the reality is that we don't know that Vinateiri would have chosen Dallas over Indy anyway.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
canters said:
Mind games with Vandy? Can't see us siging a K without BP being on board. TO is another story however.

BP is a age old wise veteran of the game... I dont see him playing those games(re: Vandy/TO) with Jerry the Owner...

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Some people on this board have an amazing ability to see into BP's head. They can read his thoughts, see what he feels, in fact they see things that he doesn't even know he thinks :D