Parcells is not stupid

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
FLCowboyFan said:
Some people on this board have an amazing ability to see into BP's head. They can read his thoughts, see what he feels, in fact they see things that he doesn't even know he thinks :D

:laugh2:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I can't believe that Vandy's kickoffs are 12-15 yards shorter. That is just awful.

superpunk

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
I can't believe that Vandy's kickoffs are 12-15 yards shorter. That is just awful.

IIRC, he was talking about the total package resulting in 12-15 less yards - i.e. Vanderjagt's kicks do not spend as much time in the air, in addition to being shorter, and thus the returner is getting it before the coverage arrives. I really doubt you could find a 12-15 yard difference in straight distance off the leg on any kickers in the league, top to bottom.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I will always question Bill's intelligence and sanity after signing and then starting Vinny T.

Stautner

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I will always question Bill's intelligence and sanity after signing and then starting Vinny T.

You thought the QB that he inherited (Quincy) was a much more attractive option .....?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Stautner said:
You thought the QB that he inherited (Quincy) was a much more attractive option .....?

Does that really matter? Vinny had proven over many years to be a below average QB. He was not a long term solution and really wasn't much of a short term band aid either. If he had been, then Bill would have kept him around as a back up last year. At the time I did think Quincy was better. Still do. I didn't think Quincy was great or anything like that, but he was young. Plus I never looked at it as Vinny vs. Quincy. I would have taken just about anybody over Vinny at that point in his career. I would rather go with an unknown over someone known to be a poor QB.

DipChit

Reaction score
First of all I dont believe "Jerry didnt want to spend the money". He spends all kinds of money on players.. why not spend some on a guy thats been pretty automatic when it comes to FG's?

I think BP just likes things to bellyache about sometimes. Quit worring about the "extra roster spot" and just get the guys who do hold a roster spot to play as well as they can.

If Vandy makes his kicks but Kicking off isnt a good idea, while Suisham does a good job with that, thats fine. They're both bringing something to the table during the game. If you only went with one kicker whats the person who would take the others ones place actually doing. Standing around looking at the cheerleaders for the most part I'm guessing.

Stautner

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Does that really matter? Vinny had proven over many years to be a below average QB. He was not a long term solution and really wasn't much of a short term band aid either. If he had been, then Bill would have kept him around as a back up last year. At the time I did think Quincy was better. Still do. I didn't think Quincy was great or anything like that, but he was young. Plus I never looked at it as Vinny vs. Quincy. I would have taken just about anybody over Vinny at that point in his career. I would rather go with an unknown over someone known to be a poor QB.

Heck yeah it matters - a hell of a lot.

You seem to think that Parcells had a lot of time to build his team and handpick his QB before picking up Vinny, when the reality is that Parcells had to take the team he inherited and he only picked up Vinny just before training camp in 2004 as insurance against Quincy failing. Remember ...... Vinny only becamse the starter once Quincy got booted for drug use. Before that Quincy was Jerry's hand picked boy and Bill inherited him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
sago1 said:
It was well reported during FA that Parcells, Ireland and Jerry Jones' son Stephen tried to talk Jerry Jones into paying the big bucks to sign Vinaterie, who came to NE when Parcells was the H/C to Parcells familiar with him. JJ didn't want to ante up the money for Vinaterie.

Finally after Vinaterie was signed by Colts (and a few option FG options got away), Parcells, Ireland & Jones son finally convinced Jones to put out the big bucks for Vanderjagt despite strong probability he couldn't kick off. I think Parcells complaining about making decisions re kicker is all theater but also to remind Jones we wouldn't have this problem if we had signed Vinaterie (of course Vinaterie not injuried but might not have been if he had been in Dallas).
Vinateiri was actually scheduled to visit with the Cowboys the day after his visit with the colts. They made him an offer he couldn't refuse, so the Cowboys were stuck with Vanderjagt if they wanted an elite kicker. They had flirted a little with Brown of the seahawks but he was restricted and the only way they could steal him was if the seahawks used all their cap room on Hutchinson which didn't happen.

joseephuss

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Vinateiri was actually scheduled to visit with the Cowboys the day after his visit with the colts. They made him an offer he couldn't refuse, so the Cowboys were stuck with Vanderjagt if they wanted an elite kicker. They had flirted a little with Brown of the seahawks but he was restricted and the only way they could steal him was if they used all their cap room on Hutchinson which didn't happen.

Didn't they look at Ryan Longwell as well? I can't remember.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Ok I said I believed him.

So why would he publically complain about a pick not performing?

It's easy. Parcells is letting Jones and every elso know that this is what you get when you don't listen to him. I believe J Jones put a lot of pressure on getting Vandy. Jones wouldn't listen to Parcells protests so Parcells gave him his way. And now this is what Jones gets for doing so. Not to mention the rest of the organization.

It all makes sense if Parcells is talking to Jones. Here you go Jones. You got what you wanted and now you have to live with two kickers and the possible repercussions of losing a roster spot.

It has been consistently and historically reported that Parcells and Jones have good rapport and communicate openly on all football related matters. I don't think Parcells would use the press and show up Jones publically. Do you really think Jones would put up with mind games from a coach he is paying 4 million a year to get results?

Conversely Parcells wouldn't put up with an owner/general manager who pre-empted his player selection or undermined the process relative to team offensive and defensive needs.

Give both these guys a little more communication, maturity and football experience credit.

And why is it when there is a negative result with a player it had to be a Jones decision, but when we get a good, low mental maintenance player it had to be because of Parcells.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
canters said:
Mind games with Vandy? Can't see us siging a K without BP being on board. TO is another story however.

So it's your opinion that BP would defer to JJ over a kicker but not on a WR or 'the WR or player'?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I don't think ANYONE we've brought in has been brought in without BPs direct input and final approval
kind of tired of all the conspiracy theories that JJ forces players on BP...I don't buy it.
Why aren't the same kind of theories abounding in Wash where Snyder buys all of the overpriced "yesterday's toys" and Gibbs is left with garbage? I would venture to guess that its much worse like that in Wash than in Dallas....

I didn't say BP didn't approve it. I said something different. And anything I say doesn't have to be true. JMO over something that seems unusual. I don't think it's a conspiracy but it is a headscratcher.

I didn't say it was a conspircy BTW. That's your choice of words.

To any and all, I don't think I can read minds and I certainly don't know Parcells. All I can do is wonder why he would publically complain about this in the manner he has. He certainly is a worriwort and if you like a whiner but this seems different. And it is noteworthy.

Again JMO on a forum for opinions. Sorry for the late reply.