Parcells' parting gift to Witten

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I heard a reference to this story on the pregame last week, and the Parcells thread here jogged my memory to look for it. Sorry if already posted.

=============================================

Thursday Afternoon Sports Smörgåsbord
Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 04:00:54 PM

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2007/12/thursday_afternoon_sports_free.php#more

Let me be the first to insert a ball-gag on those “Bill Parcells deserves all the credit” stories that have already started making the rounds as the Dallas Cowboys’ success gets further examined by the national media. I’ll give him this: Parcells saw something in Tony Romo. (Just like Joe Simpson?) I’ll also give him this: He always was and forever will be a Hall of Fame *******. Right, Jason Witten? When word circulated last January that Parcells was officially resigning, the coach called the tight end into his Valley Ranch office. Jason, take it from here.

“I went in there expecting some kind of sad farewell, but his message to me was that I sucked. He gave me about 15 things I needed to improve on and told me if I didn’t do them I’d always be average. I didn’t know if there’d be a hug or anything, but I didn’t see it going down like that.”

As a parting gift, Parcells did give Witten the game ball from his first win as Cowboys coach -- against the Giants on Monday Night Football in 2003 -- and even signed it. “To: Jason. From: Bill Parcells,” Witten recalls. “No ‘best of luck’ or anything. It was a little strange.” ...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Parcells is the master motivator. He will push, push, push players to the breaking point. years from now Witten will say that meeting motivated him and Parcells was best thing for his career early on.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
You mean they didn't braid each other's hair and talk about ponies until their menstrual cycles synchronized?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
this should be a good thread.

he sent aikman an autographed picture of himself after aikman asked for his signature after a game in 90. parcells said i will send you something nice and sent him the picture in a frame with the same type of writing.

Aikman said it is in his office and he has always been happy he sent it to him.

Oh well richie witt spent the whole time parcells was here writing negative articles about him, how is he any better? he is a first class ****** also.

oh well I cant wait to read how parcells is the devil and has done nothing but bad.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
That is so funny. I love BP, but sometimes you gotta ease up a little bit.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;1843749 said:
oh well I cant wait to read how parcells is the devil and has done nothing but bad.
Or, maybe we'll read what a motivational genius he is. ;)

Heck, now I see why Witten had that 15-catch game last week. :p:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I remember hearing that, and I still can't believe he actually gave him that game ball.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theebs;1843749 said:
Oh well richie witt spent the whole time parcells was here writing negative articles about him, how is he any better? he is a first class ****** also.

It's a good thing Whitt wasn't around when Landry was here. I hate to see what he would say about him.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;1843752 said:
That is so funny. I love BP, but sometimes you gotta ease up a little bit.

I agree, that story is hilarious. I think Jason should feel privileged, I doubt he called Nate Jones in there and gave him the same talk.

The fact that Parcells took Fasano with such a high pick though, leads me to believe that the guy really did think Witten would just be a receiving tight end his entire career.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Great story.

Bill knows how to motivate certain players.

He doesn't waste his time with guys who he doesn't like. He clearly thinks that Witten can be the best TE of the generation and that is why he gave him that advice.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Martin excited to see 'father figure'

By Andrea Szulszteyn
AP Sports Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Curtis Martin remembers his first practice for Bill Parcells.

Entering his rookie season with New England in 1995, Martin wanted to prove he was worthy of becoming the starting running back. Parcells wanted to show Martin he had to work hard for the job.

So after the 300-yard shuttle run drill required of rookies, Parcells decided to have a two-hour practice.

"It was all the rookies," Martin recalled. "He made us keep running the same running plays over and over again. And every running back dropped out with tight backs, tight hamstrings. Before long, there were no halfbacks, no fullbacks or anything.

"He just kept giving me the ball. It got to the point where I was almost walking the plays. It's like me and him were in a standoff. I was looking at him like, 'Keep running these plays, but I'm not going to drop out of this practice.' He's looking at me like, 'You're going to break eventually.' I was willing to stay there until it was dark outside. From that day on, it had an effect on me."

Parcells and Martin meet again today, though on opposite sides of the field. Martin, now 30 and one of the best running backs of the last eight years, leads the Jets (0-3) against Parcells and the Dallas Cowboys (1-1).

Martin played for Parcells in New England and with the Jets. Ten players remaining from when Parcells coached the Jets will start against the Cowboys.

Martin should be the focal point for the Jets. They have failed to run the ball successfully this season, ranking last in rushing.

Parcells believes it is only a matter of time before Martin has his first big game of the season.

Parcells enjoyed the time with him. Martin missed most of his final year at the University of Pittsburgh with an ankle injury, but Parcells sent Maurice Carthon to find out what he could about the running back. New England chose Martin in the third round of the draft.

No matter what happens today, Martin will have a chance to talk with his former coach. Martin said he is thankful to Parcells not only for drafting him, but for making him into the player he is today.

"Bill and I, we're not the most talkative people to one another," Martin said. "You can have a best friend who you don't have to talk to every day to know that they're your best friend. We have that type of a relationship even though it's more of a father-figure type thing."

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Uh...if he had anything important to tell him about being a better TE, I'd hope he would have already told him.

Simply repeating it all in that context is just being a *******.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
TheCount;1843761 said:
I agree, that story is hilarious. I think Jason should feel privileged, I doubt he called Nate Jones in there and gave him the same talk.

The fact that Parcells took Fasano with such a high pick though, leads me to believe that the guy really did think Witten would just be a receiving tight end his entire career.

That, or he needed a 2nd starting TE to run the 2 TE offense....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1843755 said:
Or, maybe we'll read what a motivational genius he is. ;)

Heck, now I see why Witten had that 15-catch game last week. :p:

Romo list of things to work on... check... pro bowl ... check....

Witten list of things to work on...check...pro bowl ... check....

BP is a horses buttt but if gives me a list of 15 things to work on I am going to get to work:)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1843771 said:
Uh...if he had anything important to tell him about being a better TE, I'd hope he would have already told him.

Simply repeating it all in that context is just being a *******.

It flew over your head,

He was telling Witten what he needed to do to be GREAT. Parcells has always gushed how GOOD Jason is.....
People forget how young Witten is.....

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
TheCount;1843761 said:

Or he saw the chance to create Mark Bavaro Part II and couldn't resist passing it up.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nors;1843779 said:
It flew over your head,

He was telling Witten what he needed to do to be GREAT. Parcells has always gushed how GOOD Jason is.....
People forget how young Witten is.....
Being coherent isn't one of your strong suits.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WItten wasn't the greatest of blockers last year, probably about 10 of the 15 things Parcells left him w/ were that