Parcells' parting gift to Witten

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Nors;1843779 said:
It flew over your head,

He was telling Witten what he needed to do to be GREAT. Parcells has always gushed how GOOD Jason is.....
People forget how young Witten is.....

good point, Parcells was raving about Witten earlier in the season on MNCountdown, how he just loves to play football, is a football guy, comes from a football family etc.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think its funny. Could you just imagine Jason sitting down and Bill starts off by saying.

"You suck"

Next thing you need is Bill in the stands before running plays yelling out to witten.....

"You will not make this block..........jack-***"

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheCount;1843761 said:
I agree, that story is hilarious. I think Jason should feel privileged, I doubt he called Nate Jones in there and gave him the same talk.

The fact that Parcells took Fasano with such a high pick though, leads me to believe that the guy really did think Witten would just be a receiving tight end his entire career.

We were switching to a 2 TE offense. You need - yep, you guessed it - TWO TEs to run the TWO TE offense.

He drafted a starter with that pick. What he hell is the freakin' problem?

theogt;1843771 said:
Uh...if he had anything important to tell him about being a better TE, I'd hope he would have already told him.

Simply repeating it all in that context is just being a *******.

:rolleyes:

Let's see... BP is the future Hall of Fame coach...

You're the internet gum flapper...

Yeah, I'll side with BP on this one.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack;1843899 said:
:rolleyes:

Let's see... BP is the future Hall of Fame coach...

You're the internet gum flapper...

Yeah, I'll side with BP on this one.
I'm sure that's Dan Snyder's excuse anytime someone criticizes Joe Gibbs.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;1843915 said:
I'm sure that's Dan Snyder's excuse anytime someone criticizes Joe Gibbs.

If I were an NFL GM and for some weird reason my only two choices to hire as Head Coach were Joe Gibbs and You... guess who I'm hiring?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack;1843920 said:
If I were an NFL GM and for some weird reason my only two choices to hire as Head Coach were Joe Gibbs and You... guess who I'm hiring?
Perhaps you could hire me to remind him not to call consecutive timeouts.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;1843925 said:
Perhaps you could hire me to remind him not to call consecutive timeouts.

That I'll do. But anything else regarding football... gotta go with Joe, even if he's an overrated, washed up, has-been.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Witten is having his greatest season. Now whether that had something to do with it is arguable.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1843742 said:
Jason, take it from here.

“I went in there expecting some kind of sad farewell, but his message to me was that I sucked. He gave me about 15 things I needed to improve on and told me if I didn’t do them I’d always be average. I didn’t know if there’d be a hug or anything, but I didn’t see it going down like that.”

As a parting gift, Parcells did give Witten the game ball from his first win as Cowboys coach -- against the Giants on Monday Night Football in 2003 -- and even signed it. “To: Jason. From: Bill Parcells,” Witten recalls. “No ‘best of luck’ or anything. It was a little strange.” ...

When Jason told that story on Inside thew Huddle, Tony followed it up with something to the effect of "Oh, but don't act like you weren't his baby boy."

I think Parcells didn't treat the occasion like they would never be seeing each other again, because he knew they would.

Just my take on it.

JPM

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1843748 said:
You mean they didn't braid each other's hair and talk about ponies until their menstrual cycles synchronized?
I hear Belicheck does that with his players.

superpunk

Reaction score
Faerluna;1844022 said:
When Jason told that story on Inside thew Huddle, Tony followed it up with something to the effect of "Oh, but don't act like you weren't his baby boy."

I think Parcells didn't treat the occasion like they would never be seeing each other again, because he knew they would.

Just my take on it.

I gotta start watching that, and people gotta stop trusting print-blurb-excerpts.

"I-I don't know. I put him in a box. I didn't kill him, alright? And don't edit this for your broadcast so it looks like I'm screaming, "I killed Earl Milford!""

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
superpunk;1844064 said:
I gotta start watching that, and people gotta stop trusting print-blurb-excerpts.

"I-I don't know. I put him in a box. I didn't kill him, alright? And don't edit this for your broadcast so it looks like I'm screaming, "I killed Earl Milford!""
Fixed it for you. Had no idea it would filter like that.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Faerluna;1844022 said:

Just my take on it.
Yeah, I saw that episode.

It seems to me BP knew Witten is a very good TE and wanted to let Witten know that if he improves certain areas, he could be one of the best TEs. BP is a hard guy and can be arse but he'll to just about anything to ensure those players who are willing to learn have the necessary tools to reach their potential.

At least BP didn't invite Witten into the jaccuzi, like Romo. :D