Parcellschology 101

followthestar

Reaction score
bill wants to win, but he also wants to evaluate. he does, we all agree, have a lot to evaluate before the season starts. so when he doesn't blitz, i wonder if just maybe he wants to see how his secondary will hold up. will they get frustrated? will they stay on top of their assignments, or start making mental mistakes? how will the new secondary, perhaps our biggest weakness last season, hold up?
when he makes substitutions, he's not putting the best player there. he's putting a player there who he needs to evaluate more. when he calls a play, he's not necessarily calling the one most likely to succeed, he's calling one most likely to give him information, and hopefully also be successful.
we found some bright spots, and we found a lot to still be concerned about. we found out the Cardinals may not be so bad after all. and as we already knew, we have a lot of work to be done before the games count...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
FtS, nice post.

We know Bill's 'goals' last night were not the same as Denny Green's.

On defense in particular, it appeared to be a test of reaction.

At least one player got an A no matter what the question.

He was always around the ball, or making the tackle.

Anthony Henry.

The first team O tho, had to act more than react, and they got manhandled. The penalties stemmed mostly from that.

But thanks for pointing out what is not always so obvious.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
We ran a very vanilla D: Nickle on 3rd down only. Very few blitzes.

His main concern about our new 3/4 D was could we stop the run, could our young LBs read passs or run, how would the LBs and secondary play in coverage, and how would Glover perform at nose tackle.

Over all I thought the D played pretty well. FS still a concern.

OL another story.......

Bledsoe???????

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
he did blitz though, and virtually none of them worked

its also disturbing that when we rushed 4 we got nowhere near the QB

looked like the same crap we've seen for years from Zimmer as DC...just has no clue how to pressure QB's...I saw alot of preseason football Friday and Sat, and we had by far

1) the worst OL

and

2) the worst pass rush

David

Woods

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
We ran a very vanilla D: Nickle on 3rd down only. Very few blitzes.

His main concern about our new 3/4 D was could we stop the run, could our young LBs read passs or run, how would the LBs and secondary play in coverage, and how would Glover perform at nose tackle.

Over all I thought the D played pretty well. FS still a concern.

OL another story.......

Bledsoe???????

From what I can make out, the OL needs some serious work.

If the season started next week, is Petitti the front runner at RT?

It seems the competition is between Rogers and Petitti right now.

burmafrd

Reaction score
RT is what we have to worry about RIGHT NOW. Between his inexperience and his bad ankle, Pettiti is not the guy for now. Tucker is toast. ROgers injured=AGAIN.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Woods said:
From what I can make out, the OL needs some serious work.

If the season started next week, is Petitti the front runner at RT?

It seems the competition is between Rogers and Petitti right now.

With Roger's knee injury I think you would have to say that Petiti is the front runner.

Woods

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
With Roger's knee injury I think you would have to say that Petiti is the front runner.

I hope we bring in a veteran and cut Tucker to make room.

I hope Petitti can nail down the position, but it's a lot asking a rookie to switch sides and hold the fort . . . esp. while he's battling an ankle injury.

burmafrd

Reaction score
With Pettiti's bad ankle and inexperience, its much more likely to be Vollers.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:

if he goes with Petteti, we might be in serious trouble...he needs alot of work

with none of the backup guards looking decent (so Allen could be moved to RT) and Vollers looking like a waiver wire scrub, the starting RT might not be on our roster right now...

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
With Pettiti's bad ankle and inexperience, its much more likely to be Vollers.

Vollers was awful last night...guy is one of the slowest people I have ever seen out of a stance

other than Tucker, Vollers was by far the worst OL out there...

David

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
he did blitz though, and virtually none of them worked

its also disturbing that when we rushed 4 we got nowhere near the QB

looked like the same crap we've seen for years from Zimmer as DC...just has no clue how to pressure QB's...I saw alot of preseason football Friday and Sat, and we had by far

1) the worst OL

and

2) the worst pass rush

David

I will admit I was expecting us to put alot more pressure on the QB. Then again we do play AZ in the regular season.......did BP really want to show them all that much?

The OL was a joke.

Bledsoe so far after 1 preseason game and with no blocking was and is a bandaid.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
if he goes with Petteti, we might be in serious trouble...he needs alot of work

with none of the backup guards looking decent (so Allen could be moved to RT) and Vollers looking like a waiver wire scrub, the starting RT might not be on our roster right now...

David

Exactly.......BP has three options at RT which you mentioned above. We'll have to wait and see which way he goes.

burmafrd

Reaction score
There is not a whole lot out there to pick up at RT- so we are in trouble.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd said:
There is not a whole lot out there to pick up at RT- so we are in trouble.

Exactly - there is nothing to be had at this point - it's too late. Much like last year and the CB situation, we thought we had better than we actually do.

RT is a disaster for us and frankly, how could one not see this coming?

Vollers and Tucker are bad, real bad and we can rely on Rogers for a whopping 2 plays a game. He's been hurt since the day he arrived here.

Too early to tell on Pettiti, but in fairness to him - he's a rookie.

Not good.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge said:
Exactly - there is nothing to be had at this point - it's too late. Much like last year and the CB situation, we thought we had better than we actually do.

RT is a disaster for us and frankly, how could one not see this coming?

Vollers and Tucker are bad, real bad and we can rely on Rogers for a whopping 2 plays a game. He's been hurt since the day he arrived here.

Too early to tell on Pettiti, but in fairness to him - he's a rookie.

Not good.
Should Rogers continue to be nicked up in camp, hopefully Pettiti will begin receiving much more first team reps. Even as a rookie, he's a much better option at right tackle than Tucker or Vollers, imo. Bledsoe is going to need as much protection upfront as possible because he doesn't improvise very well when the pocket begins to collapse.

Heck, in word association tests, when the word 'scramble' is thrown at Bledsoe, the first word out of his mouth is 'eggs'. We need for this OL to gel. Fast.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I will admit I was expecting us to put alot more pressure on the QB. Then again we do play AZ in the regular season.......did BP really want to show them all that much?

The OL was a joke.

Bledsoe so far after 1 preseason game and with no blocking was and is a bandaid.
We all knew that about Bledsoe,if we cant protect him we are DOOMED! unless we start one of the younger guys :p: But BP want do that ;)

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Should Rogers continue to be nicked up in camp, hopefully Pettiti will begin receiving much more first team reps. Even as a rookie, he's a much better option at right tackle than Tucker or Vollers, imo. Bledsoe is going to need as much protection upfront as possible because he doesn't improvise very well when the pocket begins to collapse.

Heck, in word association tests, when the word 'scramble' is thrown at Bledsoe, the first word out of his mouth is 'eggs'. We need for this OL to gel. Fast.[/QUOTE]

Very astute obsevation DE....... :D