Parsons confirms 3-4 base and initial position

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't care what they call it , just stop embarrassing yourselves when the other team has the ball...................
The biggest mystery of last year was how bad that team was and still managed to be top 5 in turnovers.......that's with them not getting any turnovers at the beginning of the season as well. That's the only thing I hope makes it to next years defense.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't think there is any doubt we are running 4 DL in our nickel package. What has been debated is our base package. It sounds like Quinn has told Parsons this will be a 3-4. I think the aim is for our 6th round draft pick to start as the Nose

Apparently Woods has been released, so there's literally nobody else on the team with the size to play on the nose, Hamilton comes the closest at 315 lbs, but that's borderline for that position.
So yeah it's a good bet.

Btw, if you look at the Cowboys official website, Bohanna is listed at 360 lbs...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he is referencing the Seattle style base defense, surely with some modification. The positioning of the Leo resembles a 3-4. He plays wide and can either put his hand on the ground or rush from a standing position.

The DTs for the most part would not line up at 0. The "NT" would look more like a 1-tech or a 1i-tech.

You can call it a 4-3, but it resembles a 3-4 and uses similar principles. It would not be the traditional 3-4 in which you have a fire plug, 0-tech NT and bulky, run-stopping ILBs. You are concentrating on more disruptive inside players.

I think that is DQ's aim. But I could easily be wrong.

That LEO description sounds just right for Lawrence because he didn’t seem comfortable standing up last year.

I think your overall assessment is spot on.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Everyone thinks we are moving to the 3-4, which is not true. Against the run it will look like a 3-4, but they will be playing a traditional 4-3 most of the time in the nickel
Isn’t that a contradiction?
(Do you mean a traditional 4 down linemen look?)

fivetwos

Reaction score
DQ literally said that in "base" they will look like a 3-4.

Nickel only has 2 LBers...so it's not a 4-3. This is what they're in 60-70% of the time.
Do you see Parsons as an outside guy or inside?

He seems to have the skills to get around the edge, but will they use him that way....like your traditional 34 rush OLB?

Is he a backup to 54 or 55 initially? Or are they all on the field at once in this "base."

I realize there will be multiple looks, just asking in general.

I DO know what I see, I just always know what it is.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Pretty sad when that's what you have to hope for huh?

But I'm with you, When you expect a team to pick up a 3rd and 16 every time, the only way to go is up.
( LMAO) they ( the opposition) were getting consistently adept in converting on that particular down & distance,huh?
Hopefully, it'll be but a distant memory, pressing forward from now on.:starspin:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I have to say that confuses me a bit. To me, the advantage of the 3-4 is in its ability to disguise things, especially blitzes and pressure. The trade off is having less size and numbers on the line of scrimmage in the run game.

Why run that in base downs only to change it up in obvious passing downs? That doesn’t make sense to me.

It's 3-4, but it's going to look like a 5 man front with the SAM lined up outside the tackle (typically on the strongside). So it's not that different from your nickle defense formation (outside of the coverages), other than the personnel you have at LB and how close you line them up to the line of scrimmage.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
That LEO description sounds just right for Lawrence because he didn’t seem comfortable standing up last year.

I think Gregory will stand up some. But I bet Lawrence keeps his hand in the dirt. I'm hoping that's where the Cowboys are smarter and less dogmatic. Let the guy be comfortable.

I do think Gregory and Parsons are the Keys to success. Lawrence will give you pressure, but if they are to really harass the QB, those two will need to get it done.

I doubt they want to throw too much at Parsons, too early, but eventually I would think they move him around a lot to create mismatches. Will, Mike, Sam, maybe Leo in some situations.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It may be that when he says they will be in a "base" 3-4, they will start off with like (just as an example) Bohannon over the center, with Lawrence and Gregory on each side of him on the LOS. But before the snap they will change it up by bringing a linebacker down on the los, etc. In other words base is simply how they line up before the play, not how they will be lined up at the snap.
"Base" can have different meanings....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Do you see Parsons as an outside guy or inside?

He seems to have the skills to get around the edge, but will they use him that way....like your traditional 34 rush OLB?

Is he a backup to 54 or 55 initially? Or are they all on the field at once in this "base."

I realize there will be multiple looks, just asking in general.

I DO know what I see, I just always know what it is.
Honestly idk lol.

I mean in the nickel he has to be inside and replace one of 54 or 55, you're wasting his speed and athleticism if you don't do that. But there are probably packages where he comes off the edge and all 3 are on the field. I don't think you draft him and just make him an edge though.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

They'll rotate, but I see Lawrence spending a good amount of time at the 5T with Gregory wide at LEO (goes with his speed & bend) then using Jaylon / Parsons at SAM.

conner01

Reaction score
Everyone thinks we are moving to the 3-4, which is not true. Against the run it will look like a 3-4, but they will be playing a traditional 4-3 most of the time in the nickel
In most cases it will be 20-30% of snaps since that’s what we’ve been in base the last few years

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
DQ literally said that in "base" they will look like a 3-4.

Nickel only has 2 LBers...so it's not a 4-3. This is what they're in 60-70% of the time.
I don't think he meant 4-3 like we know. Some say 4-3 but really mean 4-2-5. Considering Cox is great in coverage it could be 4-3 as well

conner01

Reaction score
Maybe but sounds like DQ has told Parsons it is a 3-4
Parsons hasn’t played a snap in nfl
He honestly may not realize the base defense is not used the majority of games

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Gregory will stand up some. But I bet Lawrence keeps his hand in the dirt. I'm hoping that's where the Cowboys are smarter and less dogmatic. Let the guy be comfortable.

That seems like the natural fit for both. Most draft analysis thought Gregory’s best fit was as a standup OLB in a 3-4.

I do think Gregory and Parsons are the Keys to success. Lawrence will give you pressure, but if they are to really harass the QB, those two will need to get it done.

I agree. They’re the more natural pass rushers with speed and bend. That’s not a knock on Lawrence but their body types are different.

I doubt they want to throw too much at Parsons, too early, but eventually I would think they move him around a lot to create mismatches. Will, Mike, Sam, maybe Leo in some situations.

Agreed. They would be smart to do that at some point, depending on how quickly he picks things up. I hope they can get Lee to stick around in some capacity to help him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They'll rotate, but I see Lawrence spending a good amount of time at the 5T with Gregory wide at LEO (goes with his speed & bend) then using Jaylon / Parsons at SAM.

I’m not so sure about that but we’ll see.

quickccc

Reaction score
The biggest mystery of last year was how bad that team was and still managed to be top 5 in turnovers.......that's with them not getting any turnovers at the beginning of the season as well. That's the only thing I hope makes it to next years defense.

probably because Nolan finally came to his senses, got his azz outta the coach-booth and to the sidelines, listen and communicate to his players as to simplify the wild wild west chaotic
defense so his players can finally see what they are doing, and not have to think out on the move what they were trying doing, .. not to be as choose and confuse what they were doing,
but damn if it didn't take soooo freakin' long,..

it was no big mystery to me, .. that debacle of a defense was led by Nolan. it wasn't all Nolan, (as he did have some players that flat could not play) but Nolan damn sure led the charge
and it most reflected upon him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Honestly idk lol.

I mean in the nickel he has to be inside and replace one of 54 or 55, you're wasting his speed and athleticism if you don't do that. But there are probably packages where he comes off the edge and all 3 are on the field. I don't think you draft him and just make him an edge though.
Ok fair enough.

I keep hearing 34, also about Parsons' rush skills....but I don't see him in the Demarcus Ware type role.

He has that kind of ability, but I just see a different type of player.

Meaning.....I see more Devin White than Demarcus Ware.