Passing was working on 1st down

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why was Devin Smith out there instead of Cedrick Wilson? Devin is a deep threat type of runner. Cedrick is more of a short-to-intermediate type of route runner. The Saints were constantly bringing the heat. What was a deep route runner doing in the game when the offense needed help immediately on each pass play?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m nervous that Gallup is the missing link. We got lucky that Miami is a bad team as it was ugly early on. That #2 is important.

Did Dak ever look at Devin Smith? The TE's were doing ok, why try to force the ball so often to Cooper.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Allot of the run plays seemed to be Dak checking out of / audible calls. Not saying it was Daks fault but the Saints kept giving Dak a look that signaled him to change the play.. they would creep up into a blitz look then change when Dak changed ... crowd noise definitely played a huge factor and scheme by saints d

Hadenough

Reaction score
Allot of the run plays seemed to be Dak checking out of / audible calls. Not saying it was Daks fault but the Saints kept giving Dak a look that signaled him to change the play.. they would creep up into a blitz look then change when Dak changed ... crowd noise definitely played a huge factor and scheme by saints d
The defense knew what he would check down to and kept dictating that. Of course Dak is so slow running a no huddle offense so that wont work to counter it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
yup...I'm wondering if Kellen had orders from the carrot to play it close to the vest....And it backfired.

Honestly...that didn't look like a Kellen game plan to me. Lack of play action...no long passes to stretch the defense. Something looks fishy to me.

Coach Garrett does it again. He thinks by playing it conservative will win games. Guess that backfired on him. His coaching style is being exposed. He is the real culprit in why our offense has sucked throughout the years. Time to just dump him and his stupid playbook once and for all.

Aven8

Reaction score
Did Dak ever look at Devin Smith? The TE's were doing ok, why try to force the ball so often to Cooper.

Smith is a utility piece IMO right now. Not a #2 yet. Guy is 27 and has barely played.

sean10mm

Reaction score
It's crazy how suddenly they Cowboys were running on 1st down all the time and quit using play-action like somebody threw a switch marked "be stupid again" before the Saints game. They abandoned all the play-calling improvements of the last 3 weeks and went back to calling plays like it was 2017.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This offense was able to burn three mediocre to bad defenses that tried to stack against the run. It failed to do the same to a really good defense, or at least not enough. It get to championship level, this team's offense needs to be able to shred even high quality defenses with the pass. It sucks that we wasted our own defense's superb performance. We held them to no TDs and only 12 points. You ought to be able to win with that kind of performance. That's only two touchdowns with the extra points. You could even miss one of the extra points and still win.

I hope the offense can become a "stack the box and we'll make you pay via the pass" one.

sean10mm

Reaction score
This offense was able to burn three mediocre to bad defenses that tried to stack against the run. It failed to do the same to a really good defense, or at least not enough. It get to championship level, this team's offense needs to be able to shred even high quality defenses with the pass. It sucks that we wasted our own defense's superb performance. We held them to no TDs and only 12 points. You ought to be able to win with that kind of performance. That's only two touchdowns with the extra points. You could even miss one of the extra points and still win.

I hope the offense can become a "stack the box and we'll make you pay via the pass" one.

The problem was they didn't TRY. It was run every 1st down and no play action like it was 2017 all over again.

shabazz

Reaction score
a very boring game to watch.

Dak made very few plays.

I thought that the pass down the seam to the backup tight end was right on the money. What concerns me is his returning to bad habits when under duress. His footwork and decision making was atrocious at best. We all know that he can perform well when he has all day to throw and that's why he's in the NFL. Some of us saw this game coming and were hoping he could have elevated his play to the next level

Some of us have never witnessed a Cowboys Super Bowl and some have to go back almost 3 decades. We take no joy in watching this disaster and overpaying him seals our fate for years to come. If we can win a SB by playing the like of the Skins and Phins, I say sign him long term, but that's just fantasy. He MUST elevate when Zeke is stopped. He is the most important player on the Team

I know, I know....this must mean we hate him.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The problem was they didn't TRY. It was run every 1st down and no play action like it was 2017 all over again.

That was perplexing. Play action is this wonderful technique that is perfect for this team's needs. It's like WTH? Why not pull it out of the bag of tricks when needed? Even some fake play actions could have helped. May they've overrated this O-line and think they can just steamroll over everyone.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Hell, the Patriots run game appears to be dead without their fullback and 2 starting OL and they STILL spam play action, because even against Tom Brady teams will get wrong-footed sometimes if a play looks like a run, no matter how much more they should commit to the pass against a bad running team.