Pat Watkins

CPonder14

Reaction score
What is your take on his play so far through 14 weeks of the 2007 NFL season?

To be honest I have not really noticed him all that much. He is 6'5" so its kind of hard to miss him but I do.....I guess it means he is not getting beat a whole lot, but it seems he is always a step late for a pick.

I love his special teams work btw:cool:

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
I have noticed that when he is on the field he is actually in the right place at the right time and making plays. He isn't starting, but he is taking advantage of the time that he does get. He plays in some of the packages and has done well. The evidence in that statement may be found by realizing that his name is being mentioned when he is involved in a run of the mill play for the defense. Last season he was mentioned at the end of long pass plays that went badly.

He is getting better, has more confidence and is playing smarter across the board. His special teams play just solidifies his value to the team. He definately has proven that he was worth the draft pick in 2006.

Reaction score
Pat has held his own, I do see the improvement from last year to now... He's a special teams monster though, blowing up everything in site!

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
hes getting there...cant ask so much at this pt. but he surely does miss sum tackles..

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
He hasn't really gotten beat and he's made a couple plays. He has a lot of potential and I see him starting for us down the road.

That's not bad for a former 5th round pick.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
dangerdoom;1834625 said:
He hasn't really gotten beat and he's made a couple plays. He has a lot of potential and I see him starting for us down the road.

That's not bad for a former 5th round pick.

I don't think he'll start. I think we re-sign Hamlin.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
The only memorable play for Watkins this year, to me, was the Patriots PI call where he's in good position and makes a boneheaded step the wrong direction and right into Moss and gets the PI.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yeah he messed up that play. He looks pretty good to me and I don't cringe when he goes in. In fact I am getting used to him on the pass defense packages. He is an incredible ST player. I'm hoping he can push a starter eventually.

Nexx

Reaction score
one thing that i took from his rookie year was that he was always in good position, but almost never played the ball well. hard to judge his play this year because he just hasnt had the amount of snaps for a full evaluation. for the most part he seems to have held his own this season. excellent on specials teams.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Nexx;1834653 said:
one thing that i took from his rookie year was that he was always in good position, but almost never played the ball well. hard to judge his play this year because he just hasnt had the amount of snaps for a full evaluation. for the most part he seems to have held his own this season. excellent on specials teams.

LOL!!! Great Sig.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Ozzu;1834647 said:
The only memorable play for Watkins this year, to me, was the Patriots PI call where he's in good position and makes a boneheaded step the wrong direction and right into Moss and gets the PI.

You already forgot about his key TD against the Vikings? That's pretty funny.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Ozzu;1834647 said:

What? That was a horrible call. He was playing the ball all the way.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
TheCount;1834661 said:
You already forgot about his key TD against the Vikings? That's pretty funny.

Ha. I honestly forgot about that one. Add that to the list!

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Little Jr;1834662 said:
What? That was a horrible call. He was playing the ball all the way.

Early in the play he was and if he sits down where's at, he's in a good position to pick it off. He doesn't do that though. It's like he decided at the last second to cover the receiver and stepped towards Moss and right into him.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
I guess I am the only one who saw Greg Jennings run around him and score a TD or the miss tackle he had when Jennings went for 40 yds or the gimme int he dropped. I think his play has improved from last year but that doesn't say much because he was terrible last year. I do see potential and he is awesome on ST but I would like for him to make more plays when he is in the game.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1834732 said:
I guess I am the only one who saw Greg Jennings run around him and score a TD or the miss tackle he had when Jennings went for 40 yds or the gimme int he dropped. I think his play has improved from last year but that doesn't say much because he was terrible last year. I do see potential and he is awesome on ST but I would like for him to make more plays when he is in the game.

You aren't the only one

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
deerpic1.jpg

cowboyz

Reaction score
i think he's playing very safe, which is good to build up his confidence. maybe next year he'll be more confident to take some chances.

but the way he got beat by gb is worrying because his height just doesn't allow him to make quick moves.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
JoeCorrado;1834611 said:
I have noticed that when he is on the field he is actually in the right place at the right time and making plays. He isn't starting, but he is taking advantage of the time that he does get. He plays in some of the packages and has done well. The evidence in that statement may be found by realizing that his name is being mentioned when he is involved in a run of the mill play for the defense. Last season he was mentioned at the end of long pass plays that went badly.

He is getting better, has more confidence and is playing smarter across the board. His special teams play just solidifies his value to the team. He definately has proven that he was worth the draft pick in 2006.
I completely agree with your post Joe.