Patrick Crayton

Nexx

Reaction score
Clove;2276747 said:
Don't dismiss Crayton please. He's no number 2 but he's very valuable to this team as a 3rd guy. Their will be teams that he will eat alive, just be happy we have Austin.

the cowboys have dismissed him 2 weeks in a row, 2 wins.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Anyone else get this feeling with Crayton?

If we're playing a team with a subpar corner matched up against him, he's a lock for 50-80 yards. If the team has a good corner opposite him (like Philly or Green Bay), he's liable not to catch a single ball.

To me, that's his MO. He's a force against weak secondaries, a ghost against good ones. HOPEFULLY, Austin might just develop into that No. 2 role over the course of this season.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
RainMan;2277582 said:
Anyone else get this feeling with Crayton?

If we're playing a team with a subpar corner matched up against him, he's a lock for 50-80 yards. If the team has a good corner opposite him (like Philly or Green Bay), he's liable not to catch a single ball.

To me, that's his MO. He's a force against weak secondaries, a ghost against good ones. HOPEFULLY, Austin might just develop into that No. 2 role over the course of this season.

I'm not sure he has the physical qualities to consistently beat good corners. That's why I still say he's a better 3rd than a 2nd. Austin, if he keeps improving, is a better fit in the 2nd wideout spot.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Everyone knows that Crayton is better out of the slot. Garrett used T.O. in the slot quite a bit tonight.

More troubling is that Crayton's rep of having the "best hands on the team" is getting shot full of holes, his hands have been failing him (either dropping passes that hit him in the mitts or fumbling after a catch) lately.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Nexx;2277578 said:
the cowboys have dismissed him 2 weeks in a row, 2 wins.
His first game, he was pretty special. You're not going to give all those receptions back are you?

Nexx

Reaction score
Clove;2277634 said:
His first game, he was pretty special. You're not going to give all those receptions back are you?

special? 6 catches for around 80 yards is special?

do you know miles already has more yards caught and just as many touchdowns after missing the first game and playing sparingly last week?

darren hambrick had a few good games, remember the game at Washington? i hope you werent backing for the rest of his career after that one game. hambrick kinda reminds me of crayton. against a bad team he could look decent but when you needed him to step up in an important game or against a good team he shriveled up like a linemans wee wee in a ice bath.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Crayton is a zone hunter. He'll struggle if faced with man coverage all night.

sago1

Reaction score
Actually Crayton's had a lot of good games against the Giants, except for the playoff game. It just happens that sometimes we need him & sometimes we need a speed WR opposite TO like Austin who can take it to the house. Bet the Packers were devastated to keep TO in check just to see a relatively newbie WR hurt them so badly later in the game. Hope we see a lot more of Austin. BTW: Also hope to see Stanback continue to develop. Austin's got pretty decent speed but Stanback has shown great speed. If I look deep into my crystal ball, I could just make out in the distant future our 2 starting WRs--Stanback & Austin with Hurd as the possession WR.

Reaction score
Clove;2277634 said:

Reserve that language for someone who actually is....

Like a Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss....

Not for a 4.65 WR who cant get open when he isn't in the slot.

Crayton sucked in years past and he continues to suck...

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2277801 said:
Reserve that language for someone who actually is....

Like a Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss....

Not for a 4.65 WR who cant get open when he isn't in the slot.

Crayton sucked in years past and he continues to suck...
My problem with crayton like others have mentioned is that he only shows up when playing a crappy secondary. and in big games lately when he has had his few chances he has dropped the ball... if T.O gets hurt for any time we are so screwed unless we make a unexpected trade for a WR any day now but i seriously doubt it cause no one is available...

links18

Reaction score
For anyone to say Crayton sucks is just ridiculous. He is what he is. A strong #3 receiver that has been playing over his head as a #2 and is starting to come back to earth a bit. He doesn't suck.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
iceberg;2279252 said:
there are 2 threads now bashing crayton and i just don't get it. yes he had a drop. bad one. TO had one before.

these are likely the same people who just HAD to have another WR going into the season but the problem isn't so muc crayton is MIA, the problem is actually a good one.

we have a plethora of weapons and only so many balls to go around.

those who don't like crayton will be glad to come in here after every game and dog on him till he's no longer a cowboy and then follow his career around like a puppy dog going SEE I TOLD YOU!! every time he has a bad game on another team.

it's just such a joykill i gave up on the forums for the most part except for a touch of venting here and there till i can finally make the clean break.
part of the reason that Romo struggled in the first half was that other than Witten on 3rd down no one was getting open, T.O was being doubled and tripled. that should have been the perfect opportunity for Crayton to step up and make the Packers pay for all their attention on T.O. Yet Crayton couldnt get going against single coverage. thats unacceptable luckily Miles austin in the 2nd half stepped up and made the plays that crayton couldnt make. this isnt about hating Crayton its about pointing out that he needs to step up if he's really our #2 WR to take off the pressure from Romo and T.O

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Da Hammer;2279288 said:
part of the reason that Romo struggled in the first half was that other than Witten on 3rd down no one was getting open, T.O was being doubled and tripled. that should have been the perfect opportunity for Crayton to step up and make the Packers pay for all their attention on T.O. Yet Crayton couldnt get going against single coverage. thats unacceptable luckily Miles austin in the 2nd half stepped up and made the plays that crayton couldnt make. this isnt about hating Crayton its about pointing out that he needs to step up if he's really our #2 WR to take off the pressure from Romo and T.O

it really doesn't matter what he does, man. if he has a great game next week, his haters will jsut be along to say he still sucks. when he has a bad game they'll be along to say "i told you so!"

crayton is what he is. a good but not great WR. given the weapons we have on this team he's more than adequate to help get the job done. if we DID HAVE a valid #2 running around people would just have someone else to yell at because they didn't get the ball 10+ times in any given game so they suck.

i hate the IGS.

later all.

Reaction score
links18;2279264 said:
For anyone to say Crayton sucks is just ridiculous. He is what he is. A strong #3 receiver that has been playing over his head as a #2 and is starting to come back to earth a bit. He doesn't suck.

When you are paid 15 million dollars and drop the only ball thrown your way the entire game because you couldn't get open on the others...

You suck..

links18

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2279322 said:
When you are paid 15 million dollars and drop the only ball thrown your way the entire game because you couldn't get open on the others...

You suck..

TO dropped 2 balls. Witten has had two deep balls bounce off his hands in the 1st two weeks, Barber dropped a screen pass. Crayton may be overpaid, but he doesn't suck.....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boyzmamacita;2276828 said:
His arm strength impressed me too. If TO had come down with that pass in double coverage I would've jump through my roof. TO sorta pouted all game, but he needs to realize that the more weapons we have, the better.

TO does look like he's pouting, but I think he just really doesn't like getting jammed hard and doubled all game. What I mean by this is I think he can generally separate his own personal frustration from what's in the team's best interest, but I don't think that keeps him from looking pissed off while it's going on. As long as we're winning, at least.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
iceberg;2279306 said:
it really doesn't matter what he does, man. if he has a great game next week, his haters will jsut be along to say he still sucks. when he has a bad game they'll be along to say "i told you so!"

crayton is what he is. a good but not great WR. given the weapons we have on this team he's more than adequate to help get the job done. if we DID HAVE a valid #2 running around people would just have someone else to yell at because they didn't get the ball 10+ times in any given game so they suck.

i hate the IGS.

later all.
i dont think anyone here "hates" Crayton, last year there wasnt too much negative stuff said about him until he came up short in the playoff game. maybe some people dislike him after that game i know im not his biggest fan after that game but i dont think anyone hates him. if he performs i think he will have plenty of credit for doing so. he got credit for having a very solid week 1 against the browns but i think people are disappointed that in the next couple games against good D's when the defenses have been so focused on stopping T.O that crayton hasnt taken advantage of the great opportunity. He's very important to this team against good D and will be the deciding factor in a couple games whether we win or possible lose

Reaction score
links18;2279328 said:
TO dropped 2 balls. Witten has had two deep balls bounce off his hands in the 1st two weeks, Barber dropped a screen pass. Crayton may be overpaid, but he doesn't suck.....

TO also catches TD's.... Witten moves the chains.... The Barbarian is a beast all game..

Crayton makes himself team spokesman and backs it up by dropping balls.

For a guy with 'the best hands on the team', I'd rather have 2008 Keyshawn than him.

links18

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2279361 said:
TO also catches TD's.... Witten moves the chains.... The Barbarian is a beast all game..

Crayton makes himself team spokesman and backs it up by dropping balls.

For a guy with 'the best hands on the team', I'd rather have 2008 Keyshawn than him.

I don't disagree that Crayton is overpaid and runs his mouth too much, but he doesn't suck. We can always package some picks and try to get Roy Williams from Detroit so Crayton can go back where he belongs, #3 in the slot.