Patrick Peterson: "We have to force Dalton to beat us"

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We must be watching different teams then. I see 8 men in the box against us numerous times. That is what stacking the line means. 8 or more in the box. Care to share a link that proves otherwise? Now this year, they haven't been doing it as much because they have been able to throttle Zeke with their front 7. I'm still waiting for Dak or any QB to win consistently with no running game. I used to say had Miami gave Dan Marino a great RB, they would have won a couple of Superbowls. Teams like Miami, Houston (Warren Moon era), Atlanta, (Deion era) where all great passing teams that never won a Superbowl. Teams need a running game to take that next step. How many did John Elway win prior to TD? None. When Emmitt held out, our offense went nowhere. Believe me, if Dak never had Zeke, he would not have accomplished nearly as much as he has. Not a knock on Dak just how I see how QB's need a decent running game to balance themselves out. Brady never had a great running back but they still ran the ball and they always had a top 10 or top 5 defense. Plus Brady is more of an exception than a rule. I would take him in his prime any day over Mahomes.

What made our 90's Cowboys such a dominant team was their ability to control the clock, and grind teams down and score. High powered offenses never did well against them because Dallas would just pummel them with the run game, (Because most high octane passing teams are always paired with sucky defenses) slow the game down, keep those high powered, pass happy offenses on the sidelines and score on them almost at will. Then they would trot out a top 10 or 5 defense to go after their QB.
Your eyes are deceiving you then.......

But according to NFL.com’s Next Gen Stats, Elliott has faced less 8+ men in the box situations than any other time in his entire four-year career. In 2019, Zeke has run against eight or more defenders in the box just 18.04 percent of the time. During his rookie season, when Elliott led the league in rushing yardage (1,631 yards), that percentage was up to 28.88.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Your eyes are deceiving you then.......

But according to NFL.com’s Next Gen Stats, Elliott has faced less 8+ men in the box situations than any other time in his entire four-year career. In 2019, Zeke has run against eight or more defenders in the box just 18.04 percent of the time. During his rookie season, when Elliott led the league in rushing yardage (1,631 yards), that percentage was up to 28.88.
That could be a very misleading stat you provided and here is why. Let's say Dallas in lined up in a running formation and the defense is stacking the box with 8 or 9 guys. Let's say Dak audibles out of the run play and passes the ball instead. Since Zeke didn't run that time, do they still count that as a stacked box situation? I think not. Yet, the defense was in a run stopping mode. Stats are very easy to skew toward one's point of view my friend.

bewp7

Reaction score
well if the cardinals want to sell out to stop the run i think the cowboys would be just fine with that! cowboys have a few guys called cooper, gallup, lamb who would be very happy!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That could be a very misleading stat you provided and here is why. Let's say Dallas in lined up in a running formation and the defense is stacking the box with 8 or 9 guys. Let's say Dak audibles out of the run play and passes the ball instead. Since Zeke didn't run that time, do they still count that as a stacked box situation? I think not. Yet, the defense was in a run stopping mode. Stats are very easy to skew toward one's point of view my friend.
They are but this is far more proof than you've shown for your claim. Only thing you said was the eye test....which is odd because if you watch the Cowboys you'd see Zeke isn't facing a stacked box.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cards have one the very best pass defenses in the league.
So this is their goal every week.
Take away the run and force offenses to try to beat their strength

Wait what?

So use their weakness to make the other team play into their strength? Hmmm! :huh:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

"We have to force Dalton to beat us."

So, that's their game, is it?! Just wait 'til we turn that red rifle loose -- then, they'll change their tune!! :muttley:

Last edited:

davidariust24

Reaction score
He's ready for him, and sounds like he doesn't respect him. Sounds like thinly veiled trash talking to me, and he comes off like an arrogant prick with a smug smile on his face.

Sounds like he thinks he's getting an easier job with Dak injured - and in the back of his mind, he's thinking he'll pick Dalton off.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...rson-we-have-to-force-andy-dalton-to-beat-us/

"It will also change the way defenses approach stopping them. Dak Prescott was on a pace for record-setting passing numbers before breaking his ankle, but teams are likely to shift their attention to other areas now that Dalton’s running the offense.

During the podcast he hosts with former NFL cornerback Bryant McFadden, Peterson noted Dalton’s history as a starter in the league but said they’d prefer the ball in his hands to having Ezekiel Elliott as the focal point of the offense.

"Stop the run,” Peterson said. “Definitely gotta stop the run and force — not saying he can’t do it — but we have to force Andy Dalton to beat us. We feel if you take the ball out of Ezekiel Elliott’s hands, there’s more opportunities for bad things to happen if the ball is in the air.

The offense can help out the defense on Sunday by putting points on the board and playing from in front. That would make it hard for Dallas to stick with the run game and make it likelier that winning or losing will rest heavily on Dalton’s shoulders."
If zeke runs free its a win. Its that simple

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on that opposing team that comes into a game and says "we dont care about the run, we will let them drive the field all day long as long as they don't pass" this has nothing to do with any QB ever... Imagine if you will this scenario.....
"we wont to hold them to 3 or less yards per first down so we can get them in as many 3rd and longs to convert as we can...." I know its crazy...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's not like it would be shocking if their defense stacks the LOS.

They'd just copy what so many teams have already done to us!

Gotta wonder if he realizes that it's what we'll be expecting. :D

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They are but this is far more proof than you've shown for your claim. Only thing you said was the eye test....which is odd because if you watch the Cowboys you'd see Zeke isn't facing a stacked box.
1)Asks for stats supporting your claim
2) Gets stats supporting your claim
3) Calls stats fake news while providing no proof of his claim

Welcome to modern America

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
We must be watching different teams then.
. Then they would trot out a top 10 or 5 defense to go after their QB.

This, where will be Jerry going shopping now to get the top 10-5 Defense ? Current one is ranking in the 30s. LOL

lukin2006

Reaction score
uh. wait until the Dallas d is unleashed on Arizona's O...will not matter what Dalton does.