Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson to retire

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson to retire

FOXBORO, Mass. - New England linebacker Ted Johnson announced his retirement Thursday after a 10-year NFL career, saying he decided to retire rather than risk further injury following a series of concussions.

A member of three Super Bowl champion teams in New England, Johnson notified the team of his decision a day before veterans were scheduled to begin training camp.

His retirement further weakens the inside linebacker position. Tedy Bruschi, the other starter there, has said he will sit out this season after suffering a minor stroke last winter.

Johnson, 32, was drafted by the Patriots in the second round of the 1995 NFL Draft out of Colorado, the 57th overall player selected. The 6-foot-4, 253-pound linebacker started 106 of 125 regular season games from 1995 through 2004 and was credited with 865 career tackles and 11 ½ sacks.

In addition to playing on all three Super Bowl winners, he also played on the 1996 team that lost to Green Bay in the title game. He started 15 of the team's 16 games last season after starting only two and playing in only eight in 2003 because of concussions.

"It is with deep regret that I have decided to retire from football," Johnson said in a statement issued by the team. "The decision was not an easy one, but life sometimes has a timetable all its own. I can no longer ignore the severe short- and long-term complications of the concussive head injuries I have sustained over the years."

"I am proud of all that Ted Johnson has done for the Patriots, both on the field and in the community," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said. "I know that he positively impacted the lives of thousands of Patriots fans and I fully expect that he will continue to be a positive role model in our community."

Redzone Tools

Email story

Print story

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Johnson is a great guy..he had some serious muscular related injuries some folks said he'd never come back from, including one where his biceps muscle "rolled up like a nightshade"...or so he said it felt like ...it was claimed he was prone to these injuries thru over-training.

Regardless, he worked hard to come back from each and every one of them.

But concussions are a different story...he made the right decision.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Wow loss after loss this pats dynasty is starting to fall, they've lost two souls of there D, and there coordinaters, that gap is getting real small now.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
We played Pats close in 2003.

The gap to Eagles, Pats narrows.....

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
He was a dang good player, and the sort of guy the league was happy to have around. Congratulations to him on a great career.

Yet another one of the players from BP's tenure gone from the Pats. They're down to 3 or 4 now I believe. McGinest, Brown, and Vinatieri are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Say hello to the 4-3 in Pat's land.;)
There's a lot of talk up here about moving Vrabel inside.

Don't know how legit it is.

I head on the radio some nonsense about bringing Phifer back...he's way past his prime now, I doubt it happens.

I also heard Boulware's name mentioned...

as well as Orlando Ruff, Anthony Simmons, and even Kevin Hardy.

All speculation.

But Belichick will figure something out. And I think coaching backers this year is Eric Mangini, who did such a sweet job with the defensive backs last year after Law and Poole went down.

So maybe the next ILB is Troy Brown. ;)

ravidubey

Reaction score
Johnson had been on the decline and Belichek had to be planning to replace him anyway. It's Bruschi that's the key loss because it was unexpected. I think New England must seriously look at the Hardy's and Bouleware's that are out there or possibly ditch the 3-4 as was suggested.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Johnson HAD been on the decline. For some time.

And Mumbles knew it. So I 'spect this retirement had at least a bit to do with Ted knowing he wasn't going to be seeing as much time on the field. He already took some paycuts so that prolly wasn't the issue.

So there has to be some plans in the works..Bruschi's stroke occurred early this offseason..so Mumbles saw two holes coming. And there was no mad rush to sign lbs.

It does look like more 4-3 now, and that gives the Pats some additional leverage re Seymour.

But then again, it won't surprise me in the least if they end up base 3-4, and Belichicken makes a Pro Bowl ILB of Vrable and turns Dan Klecko into one as well.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
They signed 2 LB's this offseason. Don't forget Colvin is now healthy and ready to start again.....

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Nors said:
They signed 2 LB's this offseason. Don't forget Colvin is now healthy and ready to start again.....

Monty Beisel and Chad Brown are nowhere as good a player or a leader than Johnson and Bruschi. Colvin still did play last year. But then again we are talking about Baby Bill and Pioli making the roster moves.

VirusX

Reaction score
Atleast he got to go out with some hardware unlike 95% of football players.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Brown and Weiss are players

I guess Phifer will be back. Johnson has been on the cusp of not playing for a few years now. Its a hit to the team for sure to lose the 2....

BillsFan

Bledsoe for MVP
Reaction score
I won't believe they are declining until I see them lose in the playoffs.

That being said, they might not even make the playoffs. The Patriots schedule is unbelieveably brutal.

Oakland
at Carolina
at Pittsburgh
San Diego
at Atlanta
at Denver
Buffalo
Indianapolis
at Miami
New Orleans
at Kansas City
NY Jets
at Buffalo
Tampa Bay
at NY Jets
Miami

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BillsFan said:
I won't believe they are declining until I see them lose in the playoffs.

That being said, they might not even make the playoffs. The Patriots schedule is unbelieveably brutal.

Oakland
at Carolina
at Pittsburgh
San Diego
at Atlanta
at Denver
Buffalo
Indianapolis
at Miami
New Orleans
at Kansas City
NY Jets
at Buffalo
Tampa Bay
at NY Jets
Miami
On paper, the Patriots are showing more weaknesses before the beginning of this season than at the end of the 2002 season. And we all know how that season turned out for New England.