Pats' McDaniels promoted to coordinator

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Pats' McDaniels promoted to coordinator

The New England promoted 29-year-old quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels to offensive coordinator Friday, making him the youngest coordinator in the NFL.

Charlie Weis left as coordinator after the 2004 season to become coach at Notre Dame, and no one took his place in 2005. McDaniels and coach Bill Belichick split most of the play-calling duties.

McDaniels joined the in 2001 as an assistant in the scouting department and was a member of the defensive coaching staff for three seasons before becoming quarterbacks coach in 2004.

That year, quarterback produced the highest rating of his career, 92.9, which was also the second-highest single-season passer rating in team history. Brady's 28 touchdown passes ranked second in the AFC and tied his career high from 2002.

The move is the latest shuffling on the staff. Earlier this week, linebackers coach Dean Pees was appointed defensive coordinator, replacing Eric Mangini, who left to become coach of the New York Jets after one season as New England defensive coordinator. The 35-year-old Mangini is the youngest head coach in the NFL.
Mangini, in turn, replaced Romeo Crennel, who left after the 2004 season to become coach of the Cleveland Browns. The Patriots, winners of three of the past four Super Bowls, were eliminated by the Denver Broncos last Sunday in the second round of the playoffs.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WHAT!!!! The pats did not go for a big name coach....The pats are....

THE DEVIL!!!

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Wow! Only 29 years old and coaching Tom Brady.......maybe our Cowboys should look towards some YOUNG coaches for new inovative ideas?

JPM

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Wow! Only 29 years old and coaching Tom Brady.......maybe our Cowboys should look towards some YOUNG coaches for new inovative ideas?

No we have to sign old, expensive coaches....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:

Tom Brady knows that offense inside and out. I doubt McDaniels is giving him pointers, more like the other way around.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
So let's not be shocked if we go a full year without an official OC...infact it's a real possibility.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I pity the Pats. We are so much better off with our experienced and wise Maurice Carthon as "Offensive Coordinator"/Assistant Head Coach. We know he just has a plethora of innovative ideas. Because we all know Maurice is here out of merit as opposed to being closely associated with a certain head coach. What were the Pats thinking going with a YOUNG and innovative coach.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I pity the Pats. We are so much better off with our experienced and wise Maurice Carthon as "Offensive Coordinator"/Assistant Head Coach. We know he just has a plethora of innovative ideas. Because we all know Maurice is here out of merit as opposed to being closely associated with a certain head coach. What were the Pats thinking going with a YOUNG and innovative coach.

Maurice Carthon is a Cowboys coach again?

HOORAY!!!

braw

Reaction score
I was always taught If it isn't broke then don't fix it. 3 SB in the last 4 years. Why change a good thing.

No playoff wins in the last 6 years( something is broke now it must be fixed). How can you promote from within when the team is not winning. Thats like using the same broken parts to fix whats broken.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Like who? I have wondered about the ages of some of our coaches and their experience. I know BP just turned 64. With the exception of Zim who is knocking down $1m per, I thought the other guys were on the lower end of the salary scale. I would like to see BP bring in some guys, young or old that had an impressive resume.

superpunk

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

I'm so glad we resigned Mo. Had no idea Romeo let him go already.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It must be nice to be 29 years old and know you'll have an NFL head coaching offer (and a $750k-$1.5 mill salary) within 24 months.