Pats v. 1992 Cowboys

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
ESPN's Sal Paolantonio wrote today that if the Patriots complete their perfect season, they will be the greatest Super Bowl team in history. He says no other team would be close, although I think Jimmy Johnson and his '92 Cowboys might have something to say about that.

Sal, a longtime Hashmarks supporter, compared the Patriots to the '89 49ers, the '85 Bears and '72 Dolphins. I've read so much lately about the Dolphins' weak schedule (.367 winning percentage) that I'm afraid Bill Belichick might hang 50 on them.

Sal indicated that the '85 Bears and '89 49ers weren't in the same class as the 2007 Patriots, but I'd sure love to see Mike Singletary (next Baylor head coach?) and that defense take a crack at Tom Brady.

I actually think the aforementioned '92 Cowboys team that beat the Bills, 52-17, in Super Bowl XXVII would be a better test for the Patriots than either the '85 Bears or the '89 49ers.

Michael Irvin compares favorably to Randy Moss, although Moss is a bigger-play threat. Emmitt Smith obviously wins the matchup with Laurence Maroney, and Tom Brady and Troy Aikman (left) are pretty close, with each quarterback leading his team to three Super Bowl titles. I do think Brady gets the nod because he won his Super Bowls without a couple of Hall of Fame talents at receiver and running back.

The Patriots have the edge in the passing game because Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth are better than Alvin Harper and Kelvin Martin.

The Cowboys have the better offensive line with left tackle Mark Tunei, left guard Nate Newton, center Mark Stepnoski and right tackle Erik Williams all being Pro Bowl-caliber players.

I think the Patriots have more talent on the defensive line, although the Cowboys started Tony Tolbert, Tony Casillas, Russell Maryland and Charles Haley. Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork are virtually unstoppable for the Patriots.

New England also has better players at linebacker. Adalius Thomas is one of the best athletes in the league, but I think he's probably the fourth or fifth best player on his own defense right now. Ken Norton was a great linebacker for the Cowboys, but Robert Jones and Vinson Smith don't measure up.

The Cowboys had Issaic Holt and Kevin "Pup" Smith splitting time at one cornerback position and Larry Brown starting at the other. Former Baylor great Thomas Everett and James Washington started at the safety spots.

I think Asante Samuel and Ellis Hobbs probably win at cornerback, but it's a wash at safety, where Eugene Wilson and Rodney Harrison start for the Patriots.

I talked to Newton about this matchup last week, and he's convinced his team would find a way to win. I'll ask Aikman next time we talk since he's a little more objective.

On a neutral field, I think this is a pick'em. What do you guys think?

i think the 1992 team would beat the pats. emmitt would get 30 carries and keep brady off the field. Our O-Line would destroy the Pats in the run game.....

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
With the rules of the game in 92...the Cowboys would freaking crush them!

With todays half azzzed football rules, maybe the Patriots* would have a chance.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
5Stars;1764514 said:
With the rules of the game in 92...the Cowboys would freaking crush them!

With todays half azzzed football rules, maybe the Patriots* would have a chance.

Possibly, but I don't think so. I really think the 92, 93, 94 or 95 Cowboys would eat this Pats team alive. So would the 94 Niners.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
LeonDixson;1764521 said:
Possibly, but I don't think so. I really think the 92, 93, 94 or 95 Cowboys would eat this Pats team alive. So would the 94 Niners.

There are a few team from that era that would beat the hell out them. The RedStinks would probably beat them!

I love football...but, really, fooball nowdays compared to that era is sissy football.

Brady would crap his pants when he saw Haley come onto the field bleeding from the mouth even before the game begin.