Twitter: Paxton Lynch is free

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For the life of me I will never understand how highly touted players flame out to the degree that they are getting cut from CFL teams. How NFL scouts got this one so wrong is amazing.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I cant believe Jerry wanted this guy. Not panning out in the NFL then getting cut in the CFL gotta suck.

plymkr

Reaction score
Meh. I d rather find somebody with at least a prayer of developing. Three year rule applies at this point, you are what you are. In this case not an NFL QB.
True, I agree, I'd really like to draft someone as a developmental guy or backup. Like 3rd or 4th round. Or bring in a younger veteran that has game experience ala Trubisky. If Dak goes down for an extended period then we're in trouble . A draft pick or a Trubisky could be good if we've reached Dak's ceiling then I'd like to kick the tires and see if we can develop Dak's successor.

I do agree with you and @Jake that Lynch isn't a guy to invest in. As @Jake pointed out he's been on 3 or so NFL teams and was cut by a Canadian team. So for Lynch I'm thinking straight warm body for camp. I seriously would like to see us try and start developing a QB to replace Dak cuz I feel he won't get a 3rd contract with us.

Majic

Reaction score
We are one of the worst teams in the NFL for evaluating QBS. Since 1989:

Aikman (fell into our lap with first pick, but then we draft Walsh with another first rounder although we did get something for him.)
Musgrave-didn't last long and we had to sign Beuerlein
Carter-drafted too high
Stanback-doesn't really count as they drafted him to play WR
McGee-lasted a couple of years but no more than a backup
Dak-great pick
White-Didn't stay long but played well for the Jets this season in a couple of games
DiNucci-has to pick up his play this off season else he will be gone

Other mentions:

Romo-lucky to get him, only because of Payton's persistence
Paxton Lynch-One of the biggest QB busts in recent years, reportedly had an attitude issue (last in first out of building) , Cowboy's scouting report would make interesting reading
Connor Cook-missed out on Lynch and this was the next target. If it wasn't for the Raiders we would have drafted him over Dak
Moore-proved to be a competent back up in the NFL, yet we thought not and released him very early

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Jerry was within an eyelash of trading up to get him in 2016.
I’m sure this was all part of the grand Jones plan- develop him in Canada then grab him and…championship.
Which shows what the Cowboys/Jerry know about evaluating QB talent.
Just as well we haven’t used a first round pick on a QB since the supplemental draft of 1989, although that brings its own problems.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So just what are the odds that an NFL bust and CFL bust can suddenly blossom into a top-10 quarterback?

I'd say about 1.000 to 1.

No way I am getting him...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Paxton Lynch was just selected by the Michigan Panthers in the 12th round of the USFL draft. They took QB Shea Patterson #1 overall. :muttley:

jrumann59

Reaction score
Lynch has been released by 3 NFL teams, spent a season unemployed, then rode the bench in Canada for a year before getting released.

Why bring him in? Because has was once a first round pick? That was six years and four teams ago. It's not happening for Paxton Lynch.
Couldn't be worse than Gilbert Grape that so many here wanted to waste a spot on.....