Pay = wins?

Sully

Reaction score
So let's throw this out....

Dallas plays Prescott his record breaking deal.
The Dallas plays Lamb his record breaking deal( or close to it).
Then Dallas pay Micah Parson his record breaking deal.

Now, in the next 5 years, Cowboys still ( still referring to have not been to one in 30 years)
do NOT even get to a NFC Conference game. Will these signings been worth it?
Note: You pay these players these HUGE deals, you can continue to expect zero BIG name signings in free agency PLUS, will have to
let go other players who will want to be "taken care of"

shabazz

Reaction score
One can make the argument that Lamb and Parsons haven't had to live up to a big contract because they haven't gotten one yet.

But the other guy in his 9th season with 2 big franchise paydays AND his last big contract?.....2-5 ain't getting me to break the bank on him again.

We've seen enough

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now, in the next 5 years, Cowboys still ( still referring to have not been to one in 30 years)
Note: You pay these players these HUGE deals, you can continue to expect zero BIG name signings in free agency PLUS, will have to
Well, you likely can't get that far in the playoffs without them. It's either pay them or trade them and hope you hit.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

They are worth it if you are still watching.... are you still watching??

Sully

Reaction score
One can make the argument that Lamb and Parsons haven't had to live up to a big contract because they haven't gotten one yet.

But the other guy in his 9th season with 2 big franchise paydays AND his last big contract?.....2-5 ain't getting me to break the bank on him again.

We've seen enough

Again-- I like Lamb, Parson and Dak, but I am NOT paying players for not having SUCCESS ( as a TEAM). Personal STATS are for players contracts, fans care about winning. Sorry, this franchise has lacks the latter.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
From my perspective, no. Not worth it. You failed in your team building strategy, in either resource allocation and/or talent evaluation.

Unfortunately my perspective means nothing and if the owner feels it's a succe$$ to make the playoff$ and be an early out then it i$ what it i$.

It does take more luck then ever in today's NFL so I think that does have to factor in. Did the team fall short on a quirky bounce of the ball, or did it collapse in embarrassing fashion.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I don't believe in Dak. I don't believe he is playing up to his current contract, and especially the contract he will want, in the big games, the playoffs. I'm not even sure he plays up to it in the regular season against top teams. The narrative is that in the regular season he pads his stats against the weaker teams and he pads his stats in garbage time against the great teams after they have handled us. That certainly seemed to be the case against Green Bay. It's time for something new at QB. Is that something currently on the team? I don't know. Hopefully this preseason gives us some clues. Either way, this should be Dak's last season in Dallas.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
It’s not about winning anymore just do you enjoy watching the game. If you want to consistently win you need a great QB who’s been around and keep the OL in shape to protect the QB. Then you need a pass rush. So I’d say you probably should keep Dak and Parsons. Also I can see the argument to let Parsons walk and go with a rookie or Rush at QB

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I don’t understand the fear of losing out on free agents or losing lesser talent…..

One the Cowboys don’t believe in free agency.

You can replace 2nd and 3rd tier players.

Sully

Reaction score
I don't believe in Dak. I don't believe he is playing up to his current contract, and especially the contract he will want, in the big games, the playoffs. I'm not even sure he plays up to it in the regular season against top teams. The narrative is that in the regular season he pads his stats against the weaker teams and he pads his stats in garbage time against the great teams after they have handled us. That certainly seemed to be the case against Green Bay. It's time for something new at QB. Is that something currently on the team? I don't know. Hopefully this preseason gives us some clues. Either way, this should be Dak's last season in Dallas.
I agree with your assessment. I do like Dak. He has no off the field issues and says all the right things after games. But you just can't reward a QB, with a record breaking contract, that can not get his team to even a single NFC Conference game. You can get any number of QBs that can produce that kind of stat. May not be STATS loaded but what matters is get your team WINS not contracts.

shabazz

Reaction score
Again-- I like Lamb, Parson and Dak, but I am NOT paying players for not having SUCCESS ( as a TEAM). Personal STATS are for players contracts, fans care about winning. Sorry, this franchise has lacks the latter.
Personaly ,I'd just sign Ceedee if there was only 1 choice. His playoff sucess is heavily dependent on Dak so when Dakota folds, he has little chance to succeed......and he can be franchised 2 more times if necessary

But Parsons? He folds come December and January and is no longer a game changer in those months there's no reason to make him the highest player in the league ( as a non qb)

Creeper

Reaction score

We are not going to see big name signings in free agency whether they sign the big 3 or not.

Money spent does not = wins. Bang for the buck equals wins. Overpaying players is not a winning strategy unless they do away with the CAP.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

ALL-IN..................Win when it matters (and get paid) or Get Lost!!!!
Love you, Jerry!!!! ;)

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

Dallas pays Prescott his record breaking deal.
The Dallas pays Lamb his record breaking deal (or close to it).
Then Dallas pays Micah Parson his record breaking deal.

Now, in the next 5 years, Cowboys still (still referring to have not been to one in 30 years)
Do you remember Dak's comments after his last big pay day? He said, and I paraphrase because I don't remember the exact comment, 'now is the time to go after a super bowl'. 4 years later and we're still waiting for him to keep his promise.

Increasing their pay isn't going to magically propel the team further in the playoffs. It will be much of the same, if they even make the playoffs this year.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well, this is why the contracts are secondary to the larger issue of "can this team as constructed compete for a super bowl". I don't have pet cats. I like players who perform when the moment calls for it and all of those guys failed 2024 b/c none of them showed up for GB. As a fan, I could care less if they make 50M or 50k. I care about the team winning.