Twitter: Payton: Backdoor conversation about coaching from 2 teams, Cowboys not one

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yall should change the title. It's FALSE.
The title and thread or not false, Payton actually said there were two teams that contacted him through backdoor channels in the video YOU posted.

Of course no team would contact him directly and even if they did of course he is going to deny it and say they would have to contact the Saints.

We as fans are just showing our guesses to who we think those teams are, which are opinions.

No one is saying he is going to be coaching a team in 2022 if that is your soapbox.

CWR

Reaction score
The title and thread or not false, Payton actually said there were two teams that contacted him.

We as fans are just showing our guesses to who we think those teams are, which are opinions.

No one is saying he is going to be coaching a team in 2022 if that is your soapbox.

It's not. My soapbox is him being quoted as saying Dallas wasn't one of the two teams. He never said that period. He merely stated he wasn't going any further with the conversation. Let's be accurate huh?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The situation to be seen going forward can easily change by 2023. There's a number of possibilities for Payton's future occupation. In the meantime, he seems destined to relax and have time to contemplate the future. It'll surely be a story to be told on another day. Anything's quite possible.

Reactions: CWR

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not. My soapbox is him being quoted as saying Dallas wasn't one of the two teams. He never said that period. He merely stated he wasn't going any further with the conversation. Let's be accurate huh?
He said Dallas was not one of them to the first direct contact question, but even if they were one that contacted him through "backdoor channels", he is going to deny it (anyone would in his position) because it would get him in trouble with the NFL and likely prevent the team that wanted him from getting him while also incurring tampering penalties.

I have no strong opinion on whether Payton will coach this year or next year, in New Orleans, Dallas or somewhere else, or even if he will return to coaching at all, so I am not pushing any agenda.

At this point though, after watching that video, what was posted in the thread title and the first post of this thread is completely accurate based on what we know right now.

You are free to have your opinion of course and I would suggest if it really bothers you that much, maybe you should avoid threads like this.

For me, it's the off-season so a little fun speculation based on comments and hints that could in any way impact the Cowboys is enjoyable. If it is too much for you, I strongly suggest avoiding it.

CWR

Reaction score
He said Dallas was not one of them to the first direct contact question, but even if they were one that contacted him through "backdoor channels", he is going to deny it (anyone would in his position) because it would get him in trouble with the NFL and likely prevent the team that wanted him from getting him while also incurring tampering penalties.

I have no strong opinion on whether Payton will coach this year or next year, in New Orleans, Dallas or somewhere else, or even if he will return to coaching at all, so I am not pushing any agenda.

At this point though, after watching that video, what was posted in the thread title and the first post of this thread is completely accurate based on what we know right now.

You are free to have your opinion of course and I would suggest if it really bothers you that much, maybe you should avoid threads like this.

For me, it's the off-season so a little fun speculation based on comments and hints that could in any way impact the Cowboys is enjoyable. If it is too much for you, I strongly suggest avoiding it.

First and foremost the direct quote from the Dan Patrick show @ 1:41 into the tweet, on this thread Dan asks him about the Bears and Cowboys. Payton says "no, no, thats where it stops." He is only telling Dan he's not answering the question. He isn't denying the Cowboys as one of the two teams.

It doesn't "bother me." I just assumed you'd want correct information put forth. I've seen multiple threads shut down for titles the mod seemed to believe were false.

I cant avoid a thread because it might be false, until I've actually read the content either? I don't have a soapbox. I'm trying to help you man. I personally don't believe Payton coaches this year.