Pedescleaux eager for NFL call

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Pedescleaux eager for NFL call
By DOUG NEWHOFF, Sports Editor
http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2009/04/24/sports/uni/football/11226515.txt

CEDAR FALLS --- As a youngster growing up in Louisiana, Everette Pedescleaux and his friends used to impersonate their New Orleans Saints heroes during their neighborhood football games.

By Sunday night, Pedescleaux could join some of the players he once idolized.

It's NFL Draft weekend, and the University of Northern Iowa defensive lineman is on the board.

He has worked his way onto the radar of a number of teams, several of which have flown him in for personal workouts and interviews. Some mock drafts have him going in Sunday's fourth or fifth round.

"There are some teams that have been calling me back and forth," said Pedescleaux, a 6-foot-5, 300-pound physical speciman who earned all-Missouri Valley Football Conference and All-America honors last season as a senior. "Everybody's gonna talk to you, but you don't really know if they're gonna take you or not.

"Right now, it's just a waiting game."

UNI head coach Mark Farley likes Pedescleaux's chances.

"Everette tested well and has done a lot of good things for the NFL guys," Farley said. "In some eyes, he has come out of the dark, if you will.

"What they like is his size and his athleticism. He ran good 40s at 315 pounds. To have that large of a man move that quickly is hard to find in itself."

Pedescleaux could play defensive tackle or end and fits either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. That's attractive to pro scouts, as well.

"They (NFL representatives) really keep us out of the loop, but I think he's probably in the top 10 nationally at defensive tackle," Farley said. "If they're flying you in and their defensive line gets to spend some time with you, that usually means they're pretty serious about you."

Farley has heard the questions about why Pedescleaux wasn't a full-time starter or more of an impact player at an early age.

"Early on, he was doing both sports (basketball and football), and it was hard to develop him in the offseason and get him in the weight room consistently," Farley said. "When we did, he just blossomed in size and strength.

"We didn't start him full-time because we had a good defensive line and we rotated a lot of people in there. He was a key member of that rotation, he was on our special teams and we even had him on offense at the end.

"I think he's gonna get drafted, I really do."

Pedescleaux is one of several Panthers with a chance to play at the next level. Defensive back Darrell Lloyd, offensive lineman Bob Swift, receiver Victor Williams, linebacker De'Veon Harris and defensive backs Terrell McMoore and Sean McMoore could also get opportunities.

Lloyd could be a late-round draft pick. If not, he will almost certainly get an opportunity as a free agent.

"He tested very well," Farley said. "With him, the question is whether he is a corner or a safety. It becomes a numbers game with who else is coming out for this draft and whether there are a lot of corners out there who could be safeties. The timing always has to be right."

Whatever happens this weekend, Farley said his players have worked hard to give themselves a chance.

"Bob Swift tested as well as Bob Swift could have tested," Farley said. "Victor has worked hard at this ... These guys spent countless hours preparing for this in hopes of getting an opportunity."

By Sunday night, some dreams will come true.

"I'm super nervous," Pedescleaux said. "It's on my mind all day every day. I can't wait until it's over with just so I know where I'm gonna be."

Contact Doug Newhoff at (319) 291-1467 or doug.newhoff@wcfcourier.com