By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Game of the week

Dallas at Green Bay, 8:15 p.m. ET |
video.gif
Preview | Endzone

The line: Cowboys by 2½
img10985599.jpg

When Flozell Adams and Co. give Tony Romo time, celebrations often follow. (AP)

The story: This is a reprise of last November's big game in Dallas, only something, er, someone is missing. That would be Brett Favre, who bowed out in the first half a year ago, yielding to Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers excelled then, and he's excelling now. He has done nothing wrong in his first two weeks, throwing for four touchdowns and completing 70 percent of his throws.

My question with Green Bay is not with its quarterback; it's with its offensive line. The good news is that Scott Wells is back at center, and rookie guard Josh Sitton is close to returning from a knee sprain. How the Packers' line handles the pass rush could determine the outcome here, though Rodgers has proven adept at creating second chances with his feet. If I'm Dallas, I try to keep him in the pocket.

If I'm Green Bay I do anything I can to pressure Tony Romo and trust Charles Woodson and Al Harris to make plays in the secondary. Cleveland sat back in coverage, and Romo shredded the Browns; Philadelphia blitzed him only nine times and suffered the consequences. There's a lesson there.

Something to consider: The Packers have never lost to Dallas in Green Bay, including the playoffs. They Cowboys are 0-5 there.

Three games I'd like to see

Carolina at Minnesota, 1 p.m. ET |
video.gif
Preview | Endzone: 0-2 Vikings

The line: Vikings by 3½
img10985691.jpg
Gus Frerotte will make his 83rd career start. (US Presswire)

The story: So Brad Childress finally gave up on Tarvaris Jackson. It's about time. Forget about developing a young quarterback. Now it's more about saving the season and, ultimately, Childress' neck.

Look at the schedule: The Vikings have Carolina this week, Tennessee the next and New Orleans after that. Childress can't afford to wait on Jackson. The clock is ticking on the coach's future, for crying out loud, and victories are needed now. This is the closest thing to a "must-win" out there, and it will be a struggle.

The Panthers traveled to San Diego and won without star playmaker Steve Smith. Now Smith is back, the Panthers are hitting the right notes with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart and Minnesota keeps its fingers crossed with Gus Frerotte. At least now the Vikings might discover what they have in Bernard Berrian.

Something to consider: In eight career home games Adrian Peterson has seven touchdowns and averages 120.3 yards rushing per game. That's just another reason the Vikings should be concerned by a sore hamstring that kept him out of practice Thursday.

New Orleans at Denver, 4:05 p.m. ET |
video.gif
Preview | Endzone: Cutler

The line: Broncos by 4½
img10985693.jpg
Eddie Royal will test the Saints secondary. (US Presswire)

The story: What would happen if you played a football game and the defense failed to show up? I don't know either, but we're about to find out.

This one looks more like a track meet, with the Saints and Broncos running up numbers that approach the national deficit. New Orleans couldn't stop Santana Moss. So how does it handle Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal? The Broncos couldn't catch Darren Sproles. So what do they do with Reggie Bush? See what I mean?

Forget about early reservations at Vesta Dipping Grill. This game will push junior's bedtime. If Jason Campbell can shred the New Orleans pass defense for 321 yards, how difficult will it be for Jay Cutler to match that ... in one half? The problem for Drew Brees will be to keep up. Take the "over" here. Any "over."

Something to consider: When Cutler has a passer rating of 100 or more the Broncos are 7-0. His rating at home is 98.7, and he has four TD passes in two of his past three starts there.

Pittsburgh at Philadelphia, 4:15 p.m. ET |
video.gif
Preview

The line: Eagles by 2½
img10985694.jpg
'Fast Willie' may find little room to run vs. Philly. (US Presswire)

The story: It's the Ed Rendell Bowl, with the Eagles and Steelers deciding who meets Penn State for state supremacy.

There are no mysteries here: The Steelers beat you with the run, the Eagles beat you with the pass. But there's a potential problem lurking for Pittsburgh. It must solve the league's No. 1-ranked run defense, with opponents averaging 2.7 yards a carry against Philadelphia. So this could be more about Ben Roethlisberger and his separated/sprained shoulder than Willie Parker.

Big Ben has been called on to throw 33 times this season -- or 37 times fewer than Donovan McNabb -- and he has been effective, with three TDs, eight incompletions and no interceptions. McNabb also has no interceptions, and he'll be front and center for Philadelphia again, not only because the Eagles love to pass but because virtually nobody runs on Pittsburgh. Pay attention to right guard. Shawn Andrews left Monday's game with an injury and is listed as doubtful.

Something to consider: Philadelphia has not lost to Pittsburgh at home since 1965.

Why Mondays shouldn't get you down

N.Y. Jets at San Diego, 8:30 p.m. |
video.gif
Preview | Endzone: Rivers | Endzone: 0-2 Bolts

The line: Chargers by 8½
img10985696.jpg
Brett Favre has 37 of his record 289 picks on MNF. (US Presswire)

The story: Philip Rivers said it's too early to be alarmed, and he's right. Hey, if it weren't for two last-minute plays and Ed Hochuli, the Chargers would be 2-0. But it's not too early to be disappointed -- and it's not with Rivers and the Bolts offense; it's with their defense.

In the first half of losses to Carolina and Denver, the San Diego D deserved an F. It stunk, giving up 610 yards and 40 points. That can't continue, especially against Brett Favre on a national stage vs. the league's 31st-ranked pass defense. This is where Favre performs his best, though the Jets better open the playbook if they want him to perform at all. Three runs inside your opponent's 4 is not why you acquired the guy.

The edge here is with San Diego, which is beginning to feel the heat of last year when it stumbled to a 1-3 start. Never fear, the schedule is here. After Monday, the Bolts draw Oakland and Miami.

Something to consider: Favre is 5-0 against the Chargers, but he has thrown 37 interceptions on Monday nights. The Chargers led the league last year in takeaways with 48, including an NFL-high 30 interceptions.

Crummy game of the week

Kansas City at Atlanta, 1 p.m. ET |
video.gif
Preview

The line: Falcons by 4½
img10985697.jpg
The 0-2 Chiefs turn to Tyler Thigpen to start. (US Presswire)

The story: So here's my question: We all know Matt Ryan quarterbacks Atlanta, but who knows anything about Tyler Thigpen? He quarterbacks the Chiefs, but it could be Damon Huard, Marques Hagans, you or me by the fourth quarter.

The Chiefs are reeling and not because Larry Johnson isn't sure what his role is. Nope, this has more to do with a revolving door at quarterback, where the Chiefs have tried four in eight quarters. Daunte Culpepper and Kelly Holcomb, stay by your telephones. Heck, Len Dawson, please stand by.
Lots of young players in this game, which means lots of mistakes. Please tell me Kansas City can score more than 10 points.

Something to consider: Atlanta's John Abraham has 14 sacks in his past 17 games.

Upset of the week

Carolina over Minnesota
img10985698.jpg
Steve Smith gets off the sidelines and in the action. (US Presswire)

The Panthers are 3½-point underdogs, but they showed me something when they went to San Diego and won ... without Steve Smith. Now Smith is back, and the Panthers are rolling.

Plus, they're not home. For some reason, Carolina plays better and seems more comfortable away from Charlotte. Before last weekend's come-from-behind victory over Chicago, they had lost 12 of their previous 18 games there.

Now they're not only on the road, they're indoors, and that has me leaning in their direction. The reason: They have won eight of their past nine in domes. Their only loss was in September 2006 in the Metrodome, but their chances this time go up, way up, if Adrian Peterson is sidelined.

Games within the games

Mike Martz vs. Lions management. Was he fired? Did he quit? All I know is he wasn't happy about the experience, and now he has a chance to take it out on the people who drove him out. J.T. O'Sullivan, start your engine.

img10985699.jpg
Brian Griese returns to Chicago as the Bucs' starter. (US Presswire)

Brian Griese vs. Bears fans. They booed him when he threw interceptions for the Bears, and he threw seven of them in two games against Detroit. The boos return, and maybe the interceptions, too, with Chicago's defense trying to force Griese into old habits.

Eastern Illinois vs. Eastern Illinois. It's Denver's Mike Shanahan vs. New Orleans' Sean Payton, both EIU alums, and, yes, it's a reach. I have Eastern Illinois in the pool.

Joey Porter vs. Matt Cassel. So Porter says Cassel is no Tom Brady. Duh. But it's probably not a good idea to say, "If it's not Tom Brady it shouldn't be that hard." Someone remind Porter that Cassel just handled a Jets team that knocked off Miami a week earlier and that New England has won its past 21 regular-season games.

Lane Kiffin vs. Al Davis. Is Kiffin really going to coach another week, or did I just see him strapped to a raft headed over Niagara Falls? Just swim, baby.

Five guys I want to be this weekend

1. Buffalo RB Marshawn Lynch. In his past five games at home he is averaging 98 yards rushing.
img10985708.jpg
Randy Moss had 4 TDs against Miami in 2007. (US Presswire)

2. Chicago QB Kyle Orton. He has won his past eight starts at home and is 9-1 at Soldier Field. Plus, the Bears have an NFL-best 60 wins in home openers.

3. New England WR Randy Moss. He aims for his third straight game with two touchdown catches against Miami, and the Dolphins pass defense ranks 30th.

4. Jacksonville RB Maurice Jones-Drew. He's shooting for his fifth straight game with a touchdown against the Colts.

5. Indianapolis WR Reggie Wayne. He has caught more than 100 yards in passes in his past three starts vs. Jacksonville, averaging 133 yards per game.

Just a hunch

It will be another rough afternoon for Houston quarterback Matt Schaub. Two weeks ago he was beaten up by Pittsburgh. Now he goes to Nashville, where the Titans sacked David Garrard seven times in the season opener.

It was no coincidence. When the Titans are home they're brutal on quarterbacks, ranking second only to Baltimore in sacks at home since LP Field opened in 1999. Since the beginning of the 2007 season the Titans are tied with Seattle for most sacks at home with 37. Memo to Sage Rosenfels: Start warming up.

Meaningful numbers

The St. Louis Rams are dreadful, and the numbers prove it. They rank last in total defense, last in total offense and are tied for last in points scored. Talk about consistent. One of the most revealing stats: The Rams are dead last in third-down efficiency, converting three of 24 third downs after failing on their first 13. Welcome to the Greatest No-Show on Turf. St. Louis has been outscored 79-16 and is 31st or 32nd in 16 offensive and defensive categories.