Peerless Price Given "Chance to Make Team"

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score

Price back, conditionally
Falcons will give receiver chance to win starting spot or job
Steve Wyche - Staff
Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Flowery Branch --- Peerless Price will not be released or traded before Falcons training camp begins July 25, but the wide receiver will have to earn a starting job --- and even a roster spot --- coach Jim Mora and president and general manager Rich McKay said Monday.

"I'm excited to give him a chance to compete to make the team and to improve along with the rest of the players," Mora said. "I know there's been speculation about Peerless and about his future here but, as an organization, we've decided that we want to see him compete and help this team be a better football team. That is the truth."

Price was not available for comment.

There were internal discussions about releasing the six-year veteran after two seasons in which he failed to perform up to expectations and the seven year, $42 million contract he was awarded after being acquired for a first-round draft pick in a trade with Buffalo in 2003. However, it was decided that his performance in minicamp and during organized team activities the past few weeks, along with a solid attitude, warranted his return.

"He's had a nice offseason in general, and we expect him to come in and compete in camp," McKay said. "We don't expect a change in plans between now and then. We hadn't from the beginning, but we do understand there's been a lot of chatter surrounding him because he was a high-priced free agent with some pretty high expectations."

Price had 45 catches for 575 yards with three touchdowns last season, considered pedestrian totals for a No. 1 receiver. In his first year with the Falcons, he caught 64 passes for 838 yards and three touchdowns.

Releasing Price would cost Atlanta $5.7 million against its salary cap next season because the remaining cap figure of his $10 million signing bonus would be accelerated. However, that potential hit does not appear to be the sole reason for keeping Price, because he could still be cut during the preseason if he doesn't perform to standards.

Price's experience and the lack of experience among the wideouts --- Dez White and Brian Finneran are the only other wide receivers with more than two years in the NFL --- factored into the decision.

"If you take Peerless out, who are your receivers?" Mora asked. "If you leave him, we've got five guys who can go out and make plays."

Atlanta drafted wide receivers Michael Jenkins and Roddy White in the first round the past two seasons. Jenkins is listed as Price's backup, but he has made enough strides to plant the seeds for a heated battle for the starting job in training camp.

"We're trying to promote competition, and everybody realizes the past two seasons, the competition at receiver's gotten stiffer and it should keep getting stiffer," Mora said. "We've got to get more production out of our wideouts and they understand that. They've got to make the tough catches, they've got to separate, they've got to make yards after the catch.

"Along those same lines, it's not just the receivers. It's the whole team --- offense, defense and special teams."

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
What a kick in the pants to Price... but I couldn't believe what Atlanta gave him in the first place as he wasn't NEAR worth that kind of contract...

I wouldn't be surprised at ALL to see TO on the receiving end of overthrown passes from R. Mexico this season...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
trickblue said:
What a kick in the pants to Price... but I couldn't believe what Atlanta gave him in the first place as he wasn't NEAR worth that kind of contract...

I wouldn't be surprised at ALL to see TO on the receiving end of overthrown passes from R. Mexico this season...

Wasn't he one of the pieces from Drew Bledsoe's glory year in Buffalo?

If the Falcons release him, we have to sign him up!

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Wow - I mean, everyone knows his numbers suffer because of Vick being a subpar QB. /sarcasm.