Penalties information

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Altering the game is semantic, virtually every penalty alters the game. If you get a false start on first and 10 while in field goal range during the third quarter, your first and 15 then leads to not being able to convert a 3rd and 3… that won’t be considered game-altering. But it absolutely is, it’s just not during a hyped up moment.
You have a point, but if we look at it your way then we had like 14 game altering penalties.

visionary

Reaction score
Penalties have been a huge issue all season
As in we lead the NFL in them.
This is inexcusable and the coaching staff needs to be held accountable.

Our coaches said this going into the season
Nothing new
I expect the same next year though there will be a lot of talking about it
Unless you have a disciplinarian HC who has real power this will not change

shabazz

Reaction score
Over half of the Cowboys penalties were pre snap. That's ridiculous in your 18th game of the season, and you're playing at home. Can't even blame crowd noise.

i usually have issues with the refs but all pre snap calls aren’t arbitrary and those have to be owned. All the holds and hands to the face looked legit as well

my problems have been with the phantom PI or alleged “grazing the Qb” calls we’ve gotten in the past

So other than a couple calls that could have been made holding Micah, my only issue is with the one ref that’s supposed to touch, place, or spot the ball, was literally the farthest person from where the next play was to be started…….other than that, I can’t blame the zebras for this loss

Silly

Reaction score
You guys always wrote that Green Bay would get away with holding calls.

Are these penalties just Mike teaching the Green Bay blocking techniques? And it is just not effective in Dallas because of the Refs calling a different game?

MajesticRey

Reaction score

Are these penalties just Mike teaching the Green Bay blocking techniques? And it is just not effective in Dallas because of the Refs calling a different game?
Correct. The refs love Green Bay/Rodgers.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I heard on Schein on Sports I believe is interesting. We had 8 penalties that altered the game. 4 against us when we had stopped SF from a first down but a penalty was called and they advanced the ball for a first down and 4 when we got a first down but penalties against us brought the ball back and our drives stalled. This is huge!
we had 7 pre-snap penalties....you go from a managable down and distance to a predictable pass call that allows the defense to pin their ears and rush the QB....

Doomsay

Reaction score

Same here, but…they are so ineffective at blocking in general that it would seem that not much technique was actually fought in.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah how many 3rd and 13 did we end up with..
1st penalty - Gregory...gave them a 1st and 5 (pe-snap)
2nd penalty - Gifford on a return - negated a long return so instead of starting at 18, backed to the 9 deep in our end
3rd penalty - Williams, turned a 3rd and 6 to 3rd and 16
4th penalty - Gregory, turned a 3rd and 5 to a first down conversion and new set of downs (pre-snap)
5th penalty - Collins - 1st and turned is now 1st and 20....
6th penalty - williams - 3rd and 4 turned into 3rd and 9 (pre-snap)
7th penalty - Collins - same dang play, now its 3rd and 14 (pre-snap)

8th penalty - Parsons - turned a 2nd and 11 to 2nd and 6 (pre-snap)
9th Penalty - Wilson - 1st and 10 is now 1st and 15
10the penalty - CD - 1st and 20 turns into 1st and 25 (pre-snap)
11th penalty - Dak - 1st and 10 turns into 1st and 15 (pre-snap)

12th penalty - Osa - it was first and 10, but advanced the ball 10 yards...
13th Penalty - Gallimore - 3rd and twelve, gave them a 1st and 10.
14th penalty - Gregory - turned a 2nd and 9 to a 1st and 10 and advanced the ball 10 yards.....

this made me shake my head. we shot ourselves in the foot. very undisciplined, since the same few (gregory do you hear me?), committed the same penalties over and over.....the pre-snap penalties are avoidable.....that was 50% of the calls. take those out and we had a very managable game with penalties.

its like we took two steps forward three steps back.

glimmerman

Reaction score
1st penalty - Gregory...gave them a 1st and 5 (pe-snap)
2nd penalty - Gifford on a return - negated a long return so instead of starting at 18, backed to the 9 deep in our end
3rd penalty - Williams, turned a 3rd and 6 to 3rd and 16
4th penalty - Gregory, turned a 3rd and 5 to a first down conversion and new set of downs (pre-snap)
5th penalty - Collins - 1st and turned is now 1st and 20....
6th penalty - williams - 3rd and 4 turned into 3rd and 9 (pre-snap)
7th penalty - Collins - same dang play, now its 3rd and 14 (pre-snap)

8th penalty - Parsons - turned a 2nd and 11 to 2nd and 6 (pre-snap)
9th Penalty - Wilson - 1st and 10 is now 1st and 15
10the penalty - CD - 1st and 20 turns into 1st and 25 (pre-snap)
11th penalty - Dak - 1st and 10 turns into 1st and 15 (pre-snap)

12th penalty - Osa - it was first and 10, but advanced the ball 10 yards...
13th Penalty - Gallimore - 3rd and twelve, gave them a 1st and 10.
14th penalty - Gregory - turned a 2nd and 9 to a 1st and 10 and advanced the ball 10 yards.....

this made me shake my head. we shot ourselves in the foot. very undisciplined, since the same few (gregory do you hear me?), committed the same penalties over and over.....the pre-snap penalties are avoidable.....that was 50% of the calls. take those out and we had a very managable game with penalties.

its like we took two steps forward three steps back.
And this happened in so many games we lost. And games we won. It happened most of the year. So why did we expect them to clean it up before the playoffs.
This is players doing it but coaching could have helped. Make them work on technique. I really think this O-Line coached changed the style of blocking and screwed them up. Colombo may not be a great coach but he took over at bye week the last year of JG and got them back in the groove of power blocking and nasty.

By the way thanks for the post I was wondering about the penalties and wasn’t surprised to see the same players doing some.

TheHerd

Reaction score
And the replays showed that every penalty was legit.
Agreed. But there were a bunch of similar plays not called the other way. Watch Parsons on the first 49er TD. We stunk, and we deserved to lose. But the refs had a very bad day. Doesn't need to be one of the other.

TheHerd

Reaction score
And this happened in so many games we lost. And games we won. It happened most of the year. So why did we expect them to clean it up before the playoffs.
This is players doing it but coaching could have helped. Make them work on technique. I really think this O-Line coached changed the style of blocking and screwed them up. Colombo may not be a great coach but he took over at bye week the last year of JG and got them back in the groove of power blocking and nasty.

By the way thanks for the post I was wondering about the penalties and wasn’t surprised to see the same players doing some.
The wins blinded many on here to overlook all the obvious things which were being screwed up all along. Penalties, poor clock management, missed blocks, dropped passes, terrible play calling. A win is great, but it doesn't change the facts that we were screwing the pooch on all these things all year long.