Penalties reviewable?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Not sure about this for last night’s game. If they don’t call the phantom trip, the run the clock out and Detroit still wins the point spread game. The game is more exciting at the end, so I guess there’s that sponsorship angle.
This is actually a truism I’ve seen statistic to support. Teams attempting comebacks do get more calls and non-calls. It’s not just a Cowboys things
True. Good point. If the Cowboys would have run the clock out, the Lions would have covered the 5.5 point spread. If the Cowboys would have kicked a FG to go up by 7, then the Lions most likely do not cover the spread. I think the game was leaning toward the Cowboys kicking and going up 7 with about 30 or so seconds left.

TheHerd

Reaction score
True. Good point. If the Cowboys would have run the clock out, the Lions would have covered the 5.5 point spread. If the Cowboys would have kicked a FG to go up by 7, then the Lions most likely do not cover the spread. I think the game was leaning toward the Cowboys kicking and going up 7 with about 30 or so seconds left.
If MM wasn’t an idiot that is likely ever would have happened, because based on the history of the game we probably don’t gain the 3 yards needed for the first down, but we do run the clock down.

Creeper

Reaction score
I believe teams should be able to challenge one penalty per game with the challenge flag. If You lose the challenge you're done. If you win the Challege you get another. This would hold Refs accountable. Let's face it. Refs make mistakes too. This penalty went against Dallas which put them at 1st and 25 and they got moved back to the 45 Yard line. When in fact it should have been 1st and 10 at the 15-yard line. to be fair Detroit could have also challenged the last play. That would have allowed a review and a clearer explanation for both teams as well as fans.

The tripping call was wrong. There was no tripping. Hutchinson put his leg out to trip Pollard, but he didn't trip him so no foul. On the other hand, Hendershot clearly holds Hutchinson. The give-away is how he turned him. That is holding. Had he just shielded him off the hole it would have been a legal block and Pollard still would have gotten 7 yards. I probably wouldn't have put Hendershot in that position to block Hutchinson to begin with.

This is one of the problems with the Cowboys running game. They do not get solid blocking from their TEs and WRs.

Cas2800

Reaction score
If MM wasn’t an idiot that is likely ever would have happened, because based on the history of the game we probably don’t gain the 3 yards needed for the first down, but we do run the clock down.
We would have had the automatic first down on the 15 with the tripping penalty.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
For such a big play in the game, The re-play was never shown on TV
The TV broadcast last night was horrible. Almost missed a Cowboys play because the ESPN crew was fixated on Terry Bradshaw in the luxury suite.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
They won't allow this. They need to be able to control outcome of games.

If it's a close game until the end and a team challenges a bad call made on purpose it will foil the plans to control outcome of game

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Sky Judge/replay ref is the answer for situations like this. It is not the perfect solution that will catch everything (ex: the eligible receiver situation on the 2-pt conversion still would have been up to the on field refs). However, the NFL needs to embrace technology to help the on-field refs confirm/overrule easy calls like this tripping penalty that would have taken only a few seconds to replay and get right. This penalty, facemasks, late hits, intentional groundings, proper spotting of the ball could all be easily verified by the Sky Judge

I believe this would result in an overall improvement in the on-field refs too because this would lessen their workload of things to watch for and instead, can focus on the real judgement calls like PI, holdings, etc.

TheHerd

Reaction score
We would have had the automatic first down on the 15 with the tripping penalty.
There was no tripping on 97. He tried but missed. Badly. How they called it on us is a great mystery. It would have been 2nd and three

RFABR

Reaction score
The TV broadcast last night was horrible. Almost missed a Cowboys play because the ESPN crew was fixated on Terry Bradshaw in the luxury suite.
2 or 3 times we could hear HERE WE GOOOO with a replay still running. Terrible

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For such a big play in the game, The re-play was never shown on TV
Yep i was telling the wife at the time it was probably a bogus call when they skipped the replay.

Only penalty that wasn't replayed last night.