Penalties Still A Problem?

robjgrif

Reaction score
By no means am I implying that the Cowboys have solved the excessive/stupid penalty problem but wow, it was great to not see another Cowboy flag fest. They were hit with a few, but not like the first two games. Let's hope the Boys keep acting on this and continue to reduce those down right annoying penalties!

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
One of the most annoying penalties that we get is the block in the back on punt returns. Do we need to show our players the difference between the back of a jersey, and the front of the jersey? If you can see his name on the jersey, don't hit him. It is horrible to see Pacman get a great return only to be negated by a block in the back. How many returns get called back because of that penalty? It seems like every other one gets called back.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
jswalker1981;2277718 said:
One of the most annoying penalties that we get is the block in the back on punt returns. Do we need to show our players the difference between the back of a jersey, and the front of the jersey? If you can see his name on the jersey, don't hit him. It is horrible to see Pacman get a great return only to be negated by a block in the back. How many returns get called back because of that penalty? It seems like every other one gets called back.

When your returned runs from one side to the other and then back and then possibly even back to the other side again, it is going to happen. Adam has to learn to take it north and south a bit more rather than going lateral everytime he touches it.

As to the point of the post, Penalties are a part of this years Dallas Cowboys. You aren't going to keep the same coaches and the same players but expect different results. You will see a couple more 100 yd penalty games and even one or two more double digit penalty games. This is your Dallas Cowboys of 2008. To expect different is a mistake.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2277793 said:
When your returned runs from one side to the other and then back and then possibly even back to the other side again, it is going to happen. Adam has to learn to take it north and south a bit more rather than going lateral everytime he touches it.

As to the point of the post, Penalties are a part of this years Dallas Cowboys. You aren't going to keep the same coaches and the same players but expect different results. You will see a couple more 100 yd penalty games and even one or two more double digit penalty games. This is your Dallas Cowboys of 2008. To expect different is a mistake.

I agree that AJ is causing some of the block in the back problems with his circular running.

But to capitulate to penalities is not what they are doing. I'm certain the staff and players are trying to avoid mistakes.

Reaction score
jobberone;2277807 said:
I agree that AJ is causing some of the block in the back problems with his circular running.

But to capitulate to penalities is not what they are doing. I'm certain the staff and players are trying to avoid mistakes.

He is.... Its hard to block for a guy like that.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Well at least in this game , the zebras didn't heavily flag any certain team...cough (boys) cough...

Boys: 7-54

Cheese: 8-68

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
robjgrif;2277692 said:
By no means am I implying that the Cowboys have solved the excessive/stupid penalty problem but wow, it was great to not see another Cowboy flag fest. They were hit with a few, but not like the first two games. Let's hope the Boys keep acting on this and continue to reduce those down right annoying penalties!

Yep the Cowboys did a better job last night, hopefully they will continue to do better. Also Mike Carey and his crew are probably the best officiating crew in football, they usually get the calls or non calls right from what I've seen of them over the years, not saying their perfect though.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
jobberone;2277807 said:
I'm certain the staff and players are trying to avoid mistakes.

I agree. The same that every coach has probably tried to get Flozell to not false start once a game but it still has happened for many many moons. This team is what it is and I think after three weeks, we are seeing what their foundation is. Unfortunately, penalties are part of their foundation.

Or maybe we just got them all out of the way in the first three games..

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2277926 said:
I agree. The same that every coach has probably tried to get Flozell to not false start once a game but it still has happened for many many moons. This team is what it is and I think after three weeks, we are seeing what their foundation is. Unfortunately, penalties are part of their foundation.

Or maybe we just got them all out of the way in the first three games..
I gotta throw alittle love toward Flo for hustling back to recover Romo's fumble, big play by him.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2277932 said:
I gotta throw alittle love toward Flo for hustling back to recover Romo's fumble, big play by him.

Actually, Flo has had a solid first three games. Has he false started at all yet?

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2277935 said:
Actually, Flo has had a solid first three games. Has he false started at all yet?

I think he did against the Fecals, can't remember if he did in the Cleveland Skidmarks game.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember. We have had lower penalty games during the last two years only for it to rear it's ugly head again.

It got to the point where it seemed the lower penalty games were in the minority while the larger penalty games were the majority.

Let's hold off and see how this thing goes because I have a feeling, and I hope I am wrong, we will see more problems from a number of penalties standpoint as the year goes on.:(

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2277942 said:
I think he did against the Fecals, can't remember if he did in the Cleveland Skidmarks game.

He did in the first 2 games, not this one. (based off of memory)

Doomsday101

Reaction score

It is a common call in every game, they know the difference but as the ball carrier is moving and cutting so are the defenders you are trying to block and thus blocking in the back is called quite often on every team

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

I hear what you're saying but take a look around the league. This is not a problem unique to Dallas. It's a problem with pretty much every team in the league.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score

That's what happens a LOT when your punt returner is constantly reversing directions while trying to hit a big play... candidly, I'm less than thrilled with Pac-Man thus far, both as a corner and as a returner... he needs to take those punts and bust it straight upfield, stop dancing around like that...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2277932 said:

And how 'bout a little love for TO on that interception?? On the replay, I saw where he got knocked down at about the 2, but he got back up and hustled downfield to make the tackle...

links18

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2278085 said:
I hear what you're saying but take a look around the league. This is not a problem unique to Dallas. It's a problem with pretty much every team in the league.

Well, I think the league needs to address this, because pretty much every other return gets called back. This is making that part of the game tough to watch....:mad:

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I think we did a great job last night on the penalty front.

Pac was the main reason for the KR penalties. One Romo intentional grounding was a good call, the other was bogus.

Now we did get away with about 3 obvious holds during the game, but I say it is about time, especially with all the holding our opponents seem to get away with against us....especially the Eagles and Skins.