Pending top contracts

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The variance, and this is where the true underlying issue is.... paying for staying "good" or paying for being "great".

Good gets you into the post season vs great gets you to a Championship, a possible Lombardi.

This front office has done a "good" job of putting themselves into a cap position to address what they have stressed as vital importance, fundamental to franchise concept, franchise belief,, we draft well, and invest in our own, that philosophy.

That's more of a question to this fan base more so than a statement.

Does your personal acclimation to the specific player out weigh your personal acclimation to this team?

Hard decisions are forthcoming, fat cap means absolutely nothing if your only investing in staying just "good".

Falco78

Reaction score
The variance, and this is where the true underlying issue is.... paying for staying "good" or paying for being "great".

Good gets you into the post season vs great gets you to a Championship, a possible Lombardi.

This front office has done a "good" job of putting themselves into a cap position to address what they have stressed as vital importance, fundamental to franchise concept, franchise belief,, we draft well, and invest in our own, that philosophy.

That's more of a question to this fan base more so than a statement.

Does your personal acclimation to the specific player out weigh your personal acclimation to this team?

Hard decisions are forthcoming, fat cap means absolutely nothing if your only investing in staying just "good".
While I see what you are saying our roster quality has been drastically improving!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
While I see what you are saying our roster quality has been drastically improving!
Agree absolutely,, the question still exists though.
Drafting well is the first level of obligation,, retaining good vs great on second contracts is the true evaluation, the true obligation.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I say we take a page from the Pats... they seem to be great every stinking season, and by NOT paying huge contracts to players. But, being as this cowboys team under JJ has done absolutely nada the past 23 years but smell a playoff game here and there, who in their right mind comes here, takes a so so salary or worst to a team that has shown it's not going any where near a SB? Players especially elite vets, ain't about keeping it real for a team who can't get in the out house of a SB.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I say we take a page from the Pats... they seem to be great every stinking season, and by NOT paying huge contracts to players. But, being as this cowboys team under JJ has done absolutely nada the past 23 years but smell a playoff game here and there, who in their right mind comes here, takes a so so salary or worst to a team that has shown it's not going any where near a SB? Players especially elite vets, ain't about keeping it real for a team who can't get in the out house of a SB.

Everybody wants to be the Pats... but they have the GOAT at QB (playing for half of what his market value is), and a legendary HOF coach.

Their blueprint is not complicated. They are a well run, professional organization from top to bottom, they are extremely well coached, and they have a rare, champion QB that knows how to win and “turn it on” in the postseason like no other QB in history.

Give me a coach like Belichik, a QB like Brady (at the reduced cap figure), an owner like Kraft— and then we can talk about “taking a page out of the Pats playbook”

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Everybody wants to be the Pats... but they have the GOAT at QB (playing for half of what his market value is), and a legendary HOF coach.

Their blueprint is not complicated. They are a well run, professional organization from top to bottom, they are extremely well coached, and they have a rare, champion QB that knows how to win and “turn it on” in the postseason like no other QB in history.

Give me a coach like Belichik, a QB like Brady (at the reduced cap figure), an owner like Kraft— and then we can talk about “taking a page out of the Pats playbook”

LOUDER!!!!!!!

silvrNblue

Reaction score

Right hawkeye, BUT read my whole post and I pretty much out line why they are able to put a winning product on the field... because they WIN and are basically the kings of the AFC and the SB. And do NOT be fooled, Brady does not "renegotiating" a damn thing. What he does is "restructure" which anyone who follows the NFL knows means more money up front in bonus type fashion so as not to deplete the cap. Believe me, Brady is gettn his $$$$

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Mercy, no way. They can't even beat an NFCE team in the SB, let alone a backup quarterback. o_O

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Mercy, no way. They can't even beat an NFCE team in the SB, let alone a backup quarterback. o_O
Who did they beat this year in the Sb... was that Miami, no, no, um must have been the BIlls, noo that can't be right, ohhh wait it WAS an NFC team. Please, Eagles had it all going last season, they got lucky Foles wasn't "Foles", you know the one who has seen what 3 or 4 teams since being drafted. I mean think about it, Eagles drafted him, then cut him Rams had him, KC had him and he then landed back in Philly. And anyone who watched him over that period knows, Fole's got lucky. Things just came together, funny, he didn't take them past the WC this season.....

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Right hawkeye, BUT read my whole post and I pretty much out line why they are able to put a winning product on the field... because they WIN and are basically the kings of the AFC and the SB. And do NOT be fooled, Brady does not "renegotiating" a damn thing. What he does is "restructure" which anyone who follows the NFL knows means more money up front in bonus type fashion so as not to deplete the cap. Believe me, Brady is gettn his $$$$

I don’t think your post addresses his point. His point is that you can’t expect to copy the Patriot mold without the parts that make them great—Tom and Bill. We don’t have the luxury of playing the long game, knowing they can win while letting top talent walk. We need to maximize our chances over a much smaller window.

garyv

Reaction score

The reason the Pats can stay competitive each and every year is Tom Brady and Bill Belecek. Really Brady is the key due to how he operates their system. It rarely matters
what players he has around him they are still successful. Its a rarity to have this.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then the other 31 teams should just give up and pay minimum wage for 53 UDFAs.

Belichick made Brady.

Replace Brady with Romo in 2006 and the Pats still win Super Bowls.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most teams can pay for great because they recognize it. The tricky part is not paying great money for good production.

Belichick gets more great for good money than anyone which is why he's successful. And he knows when to part with great wanting great money allowing him to retain balance on his teams.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Then the other 31 teams should just give up and pay minimum wage for 53 UDFAs.

Belichick made Brady.

Replace Brady with Romo in 2006 and the Pats still win Super Bowls.

There are more formulas out there to win than NE. What they do works for them. We have to find the way that works for us.

Get the OL back to being elite. Run Zeke and control TOP. Innovate the offense and develop more consistency in the red zone. Create a passing game suited to Dak’s strengths (RPO, rollouts, play action), and continue to add some talent on D and try and lock up home field in the NFC.

We are a “B” grade team right now. Should we reach our ceiling and play to potential and stay healthy at key positions— we can be a “B+ - A-“ team.

NE is just on another level. There are maybe 2-3 teams that can give them a run for their money.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

It definitely helps that they have played in the weakest division in the NFL for decades lol...the AFCE is a joke.

That said— they have a system and a “way” of approaching everything they do— and their success speaks for itself.

We don’t have anything that resembles their system— not in ownership, coaching, or culture. They are an outlier.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are more formulas out there to win than NE. What they do works for them. We have to find the way that works for us.

Get the OL back to being elite. Run Zeke and control TOP. Innovate the offense and develop more consistency in the red zone. Create a passing game suited to Dak’s strengths (RPO, rollouts, play action), and continue to add some talent on D and try and lock up home field in the NFC.

We are a “B” grade team right now. Should we reach our ceiling and play to potential and stay healthy at key positions— we can be a “B+ - A-“ team.

NE is just on another level. There are maybe 2-3 teams that can give them a run for their money.

Hard to compare any team with the Patriots.

The Rams however are a reasonable comparison. I say that the Cowboys roster has as much or more talent than the Rams roster. The difference was all coaching.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Hard to compare any team with the Patriots.

The Rams however are a reasonable comparison. I say that the Cowboys roster has as much or more talent than the Rams roster. The difference was all coaching.

They had an extra week of rest and preparation... Richard was running around doing interviews the week of the divisional game. Garrett’s teams have a great record against teams .500 or worse— and he gets owned by teams .500 or better.

The talent is there in some positions for Dallas. The coaching leaves a lot to be desired, and the culture has been a consistent problem since JJ took over.

Outside of a miraculous “cathing lightning in a bottle” type season where everything just comes together for us— it’s hard to see us overcoming our own issues and winning a championship. We beat ourselves far too often

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Best coach in the NFL that patches together a defense every year and makes them good. Tom Brad to run the offense and a great Oline coach and great offensive scheme.

We neither Tom Brady, Bellicheck or a good OC.