Twitter: Penn State had plans to move Micah Parsons to DE

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, lets walk this back a bit. Jerry has said he was the top defender in the draft. He never said that parsons was plan A. All insider accounts said we wanted one of those CBs. That makes sense b/c we had just lost Chido and had a big hole in the secondary.

This was another Zach Martin type pick where he wasn't necessarily the guy we wanted and we backed into a player much better than we had hoped. Jerry and crew had no idea this kid could play defensive end and be such an impact pass rusher. Good for us but lets not pretend this was by design.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
He can probably play all but a couple of positions on defense interior d line could be a bad place for him

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Ok, lets walk this back a bit. Jerry has said he was the top defender in the draft. He never said that parsons was plan A. All insider accounts said we wanted one of those CBs. That makes sense b/c we had just lost Chido and had a big hole in the secondary.

This was another Zach Martin type pick where he wasn't necessarily the guy we wanted and we backed into a player much better than we had hoped. Jerry and crew had no idea this kid could play defensive end and be such an impact pass rusher. Good for us but lets not pretend this was by design.
Someone put him there to see what he could do and they liked what they saw. And went with it.

Verdict

Reaction score
There is a lot to like about this kid besides his skill level. He seems to have a very aggressive”get it done” attitude on the football field. Relentless.

He seems to have a very good natural ability to work his way through “trash” effortlessly on his way to the QB. I don’t recall ever seeing that from any type of player before. His ability to “get small” and go through an almost non-existent hole in the line is really fascinating.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

No, they said during training camp he was an added option as a pass rusher. They knew he could rush the passer. Did anyone know he was this good at it? I don’t think even Parsons knew he would be this soon.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
The issue is his size...if he is made to be a DE, he would need to add some size. But the extra bulk may slow him down some which could be the difference from an elite speed demon to a 'solid pass rusher'. It's a good problem to have but since he's so good at LB too I prefer him to play there and blitz from all over the field. Cowboys have to play it right.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
As a Penn State alum and fan...

I was upset, obviously, that he opted out last year.

However, had he played in '20, his body of vwork probably would have led to a T10 pick. Therefore, in an irony for my NFL and CFB fandom, Parsons opting out in 2020 basically allowed him to slide to my favorite NFL team, the Cowboys.

Love my Nittany Lions, but I'm happy with the way things worked out. Will most likely see him in a Cowboys uniform much, much longer than the 3 or 4 years tops in the PSU blue and white.

J817

Reaction score
The issue is his size...if he is made to be a DE, he would need to add some size. But the extra bulk may slow him down some which could be the difference from an elite speed demon to a 'solid pass rusher'. It's a good problem to have but since he's so good at LB too I prefer him to play there and blitz from all over the field. Cowboys have to play it right.

Not getting why the only option is putting him at DE for some people. Kahlil Mack plays at 6’3 @ 247 Ib, while Parsons is at 6’3 @ 245 Ib. Von Miller is 6’3 250 Ib currently. Why cant Micah just play as a pass rushing OLB who goes into coverage occasionally?

J817

Reaction score
He's the perfect OLB in a 3-4 defense. Could you imagine if we had drafted Watts instead of Taco? DLaw, Gregory, Watts and Parsons rushing on passing downs would make the QBs soil themselves.

Doesn’t even need to be in a 3-4 though. Miller never played in a 3-4 in Denver if I remember correctly.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We are really fortunate that the corners were drafted ahead of us. Parsons might be the best player on our team, which is loaded with talent. That's crazy to think he is just a rookie.

Yep.... said this time last year, he was training and playing Madden (lol)

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, they said during training camp he was an added option as a pass rusher. They knew he could rush the passer. Did anyone know he was this good at it? I don’t think even Parsons knew he would be this soon.

Considering he sat out his last year of college and hadn't played since 2019, I would say he was a sort of crap shoot. Our FO has something nice to say about everyone in the draft. That doesn't mean squat. If they were that cock sure of him, they would have moved up or at the very least not risked a trade back before selecting him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Crazy part is, he hasn't reach his potential ceiling and will only get better.

Mahomes called him special saying he's like no other player in the league....playing LBer AND DE at a high level. But you're exactly right, wait until he starts understanding offensive schemes and audibles.

DEMFAN

Reaction score
As a Penn State alum and fan...

I was upset, obviously, that he opted out last year.

However, had he played in '20, his body of vwork probably would have led to a T10 pick. Therefore, in an irony for my NFL and CFB fandom, Parsons opting out in 2020 basically allowed him to slide to my favorite NFL team, the Cowboys.

Love my Nittany Lions, but I'm happy with the way things worked out. Will most likely see him in a Cowboys uniform much, much longer than the 3 or 4 years tops in the PSU blue and white.
My best friends son played for Penn State :) LYDELL SARGEANT. He hates Dallas, he called as soon as we drafted Parsons pissed off LOL