People are underestimating our O-Line's potential

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Consider, Flozell Adams was playing some of the best football of his career before his injury last year, and reports coming out say he has gotton stronger this offseason and is 100% healed. He is a pro-bowler if he can stay healthy.

Larry Allen, who will restructure IMO, is still a top 10 guard in the NFL based on strength alone, he is easily the strongest man in the NFL, maybe in NFL history. He is a fabulous run blocker, questionable in pass blocking now, but certainly better than average.

Andre Gurode/Al Johnson, I cant really defend these guys, just hope one steps up and claims the center spot.

Marco Rivera should be recovered from back surgery a year ago and is still a potential pro-bowler, better than LA at this point.

Jason Fabini is an unimaginable upgrade over Rob Pettiti no matter how you slice it

This O-Line, if it can stay healthy, will hold its own

Mansta54

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Consider, Flozell Adams was playing some of the best football of his career before his injury last year, and reports coming out say he has gotton stronger this offseason and is 100% healed. He is a pro-bowler if he can stay healthy.

Larry Allen, who will restructure IMO, is still a top 10 guard in the NFL based on strength alone, he is easily the strongest man in the NFL, maybe in NFL history. He is a fabulous run blocker, questionable in pass blocking now, but certainly better than average.

Andre Gurode/Al Johnson, I cant really defend these guys, just hope one steps up and claims the center spot.

Marco Rivera should be recovered from back surgery a year ago and is still a potential pro-bowler, better than LA at this point.

Jason Fabini is an unimaginable upgrade over Rob Pettiti no matter how you slice it

Well said dude. I'm still not comfortable at the center spot though. Johnson scares me..

goshan

Reaction score
It is hilarious how Flozell got better in everyone's eyes after he was injured. Before his injury, the oline was bad and most thought he was overrated.

Allen will be gone.

The oline is still in the bottom half of the league unless everything goes perfectly. Which won't happen.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Mansta54 said:
Well said dude. I'm still not comfortable at the center spot though. Johnson scares me..

Ummm Johnson lost us the raiders game, to backup ur point buddy, it was sad . . .

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

Actually, last year, Larry Allen was a much better pass blocker than a run blocker. He was horrendous in run blocking as he wasn't quick enough off of the snap to get a hand on anybody.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Well, I forget who said it, maybe Norm, but someone on theticket, best I remember. Anyway, he said that Al Johnson was working out hard, he had put on some weight too in offseason. Something, can't remember full details, but Johnson's bench press, etc, was increased. Only time will tell, but if he has gotten more power, and strength, then maybe he can help us.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Be honest, our O-Line is still a problem. Who knows which Flozell will show up this year. LA is a shell of what he once was, and the kid we signed has not been a full time starter. Al is what he is. He is as big and strong as he is gonna get. He has been hitting the weights that past 3 off seasons, and he is not mysteriously going to get bigger and stronger in one offseason without the help of Bond's trainer. Rivera too might be over the hill and hopefully Fabini will be an upgrade at RT, (won't take much).

So there you have it, TO will do us no good if teams rush 9 and get to Bledsoe before he has a chance to look for TO.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Mansta54 said:
Yes Center is still a big concern and needs to be addressed. Johnson is weak in the lower body and Gurode is just plain stupid...we need help.

At guard Rivera has a bad back and no matter how much recovery and such you have a bad back is still a bad back. And Larry Allen is old and slow now; not even close to what he used to be. Strength won't do you any good if you can't get to the guy to block him. Maybe Kozy can take up the slack in the Guard house; I hope so.

I am happy with our tackle situation now with Flo coming back and Fabini coming in. But don't forget both are coming off of injuries so our backup situation could come into play and that could use some work.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Here's the way I see it. With the additions of Kosier and Fabini, I feel MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE with our backups in LIMITED action. I would not be as set if the backups had to start for long periods of time.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
goshan said:
It is hilarious how Flozell got better in everyone's eyes after he was injured. Before his injury, the oline was bad and most thought he was overrated.

Allen will be gone.

The oline is still in the bottom half of the league unless everything goes perfectly. Which won't happen.

Well said. Another year on those tires is gonna do nothing positive for Allen. Flozell wasn't that great before the injury. He sure as heck at 50% is better than Tucker though.

I see reason for hope in the Al Johnson situation. It was recently reported on this site that he had been working hard in the weight program and had built on his strength. Plus, another year removed from surgery.

Rivera, how is 3 months of offseason suddenly got his back healed? Back injuries take careers to heal. Remember Don Mattingly? I will cross my fingers though.

I love the Fabini signing, though I think Petitti is the next Fabini. Pettiti wasn't doing bad till he got banged up.

I don't like the money that we gave the guy from Detroit, but I do love the flexibility he provides. I am scared to see what it would look like if Larry left though.

All in all, our line will be better. For one because we had the worst line in the NFL last year(MHO). Fabini and Flo back will make a huge difference in how explosive our offense will become(not to mention TO, but thats probably being discussed in the TO thread.) Bledsoe proved he can get the job done when given time. We don't even need a huge offense because our defense is really coming into its own. I think reasonable pass protection will be provided barring injury. I want to see the run protection. We had no run attack last year. And believe me, we tried. I am hoping TO can make the diffence in this whole offense. A guy you have to game plan for. Leaving Glenn and Witten not to mention Crayton free in single coverage..... You're gonna have to stop bringing the house with how much a team is gonna be burned. If this offense starts to gel ladies and gentlemen, I give you the next Super Bowl winners. The Dallas Cowboys!!!!!

Manster68

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

I remember posters absolutely shredding Flo a couple of years ago. People realized just how valuable he was last season.

HeavyHitta31 said:

I just don't get the sense that he will restructure. I hope you are right though.

HeavyHitta31 said:

Just how much bigger and stronger can Johnson get? The Cowboys, it seems, like it got stuck between a rock and a hard place. The only real valuable center in free agency was Bentley, and he was determined to be a Cleveland Brown. Centers in the draft are not that impressive either. So Dallas just might have to suck this need area up - meaning that I agree with you.

HeavyHitta31 said:

This is the guy I am hoping has a terrific comeback season. With his contract, Dallas can ill-afford to get rid of him.

HeavyHitta31 said:

I like the acquisition of Fabini, but I would hope people would cut Petitti some slack. He was a rookie for crying out loud. He will get better.

HeavyHitta31 said:

I am also convinced that the Cowboys will draft a tackle or guard with the 2nd round pick. Plus another offensive lineman on the 2nd day of the draft.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
:rolleyes:

Just..... :rolleyes:

Next?
I have to agree with him. Flozell was playing some mediocre ball before his injury. After watching Tucker for several games, mediocre ball may look great, but pre-injury there was plenty of gnashing of teeth going on here about Flo's inability to perform at the level we expect of him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Wow Gurode is now stupid and Rivera = Don Mattingly?

First of all please dont compare anyone to Mattingly who is perhaps the most overrated player in the history of sports. Or the state of medicine in the 80s to that what it is now.

Gurode by all accounts is a very intelligent person. Training instincts when you only have a second to react takes time is diificult when you are learning it from two different positions.

Sorry but that stuff was from the land of the weak.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
People should get used to the name Petitti around here. He is gonna be here for a long time. He will learn alot from Fabini

sago1

Reaction score
Last year so many people on this forum believed our OL would be awesome and one of the best in the NFL. Well, they weren't. In fact they were closer to being one of the worst. Now here we go again with many people believing our OL will be just great and we under estimating them. Adams returns and will play at his former pro bowl level, Allen still better then most other LG (if he's not cut), Riveria (turns 34) totally recovers from back surgery & returns to almost pro bowl level; do agree Fabini is big upgrade at RT for us. And we don't know what to expect from Gurode & Johnson--just hope for improvement from at least one. And of course we all hope for no injuries but reality says there will be some.

I'm not trying be negative but face a little bit of reality. What's the old saying--the war is won in the trenches. I like the defensive trench but have concerns whether we've upgrading our OL enough cause I'm afraid we've done just the minimum. I assume we will have some injuries on the OL at some point which is why it necessary to ensure we've got good backups. Currently our backups are Peterman (guess you can include Gurode) and Pettiti. We've go Colombo (don't know how his knee coming along) and do you really want to go to war with Tucker? Teams usually carry from 9-11 OL. I'd like to upgrade our backups just a little more. Don't think I'm expecting too much since I expect opponents to really come after Bledsoe before he can get the ball out. Steelers did it to Manning & teams will try doing it to Bledsoe.

heir

Reaction score
The Oline will be improve without a doubt. With Flo back, hoping he comes back to full strength, it gives more flexiblity to the oline. If Petitti is the RT and needs help we can send Witten or Hannam to that side to chip the ends. Like Parcells said, you can hide one one spot on the oline but you can' hide 2 spots. Last year's problems started when Flo got hurt and we had to help Petitti AND Tucker on both ends.

Viper

Reaction score
Can you have a good line with Bledsoe-so behind center?:confused: