People are underestimating our O-Line's potential

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Don Mattingly overrated? Before his injury, he was the best player in baseball. Don't let these bloated steroids stats fool yah.... Believe me, back then I watched every yankee game. He just played on a very bad team(except for Dave winfield) .

Eanwen

Reaction score
I certainly hope the o-line will be better, but in recent years I've been disappointed too many times to believe it at face value. :(

dmq

Reaction score
sago1 said:
I like the defensive trench but have concerns whether we've upgrading our OL enough cause I'm afraid we've done just the minimum. I assume we will have some injuries on the OL at some point which is why it necessary to ensure we've got good backups. Currently our backups are Peterman (guess you can include Gurode) and Pettiti. We've go Colombo (don't know how his knee coming along) and do you really want to go to war with Tucker? Teams usually carry from 9-11 OL. I'd like to upgrade our backups just a little more. Don't think I'm expecting too much since I expect opponents to really come after Bledsoe before he can get the ball out. Steelers did it to Manning & teams will try doing it to Bledsoe.

Welcome to the new NFL. You should see Washington's depth. It is survival of the fittest you stay health, you will win. Its the wildcard of any NFL season.

dallasfan

Reaction score
Our o-line will be better simply b/c no matter how inconsistent Flozzell is, he's way better than Torrin Tucker, and Fabini is just better than Petitti.

Mash

Reaction score
has been terriable for several seasons now.......false starts.....holding calls inside the 20's.

This line still needs alot of work. Adams is a good tackle....alot better than any backups we had.......but he still needs alot of improvement especially in concentration.

Allen is a huge pylon.......thats all.....if he gets his mitts on you....yes...ur done....but he rarely does...he cant pull.....he is useless in getting to the 2nd level....he is too top heavy....considering what he is being payed.....he might be the most overpaid player in the league considering his production.

Our centers need improvement.......from what Ive seen.....either the line calls are off.....or the blocking system implemented is flawed. We for several years now still cannot stop a zone blitz.

Rivera is a vet and played well in Green Bay but he was nothing special for us last year....was it his back?.......has he started to decline?......Backs dont heal. Im hoping he does come back to form but im not betting any money on it.

RT is a question mark......Petite did what a late round pick was expected to do....struggle.....Fabini is a upgrade....but what can we expect from him?...I know nothing about him......if he struggles like Rivera did last season than Bleadsoe is in heaps of trouble.

This OL is our weakest link.....the game is won in the trenches....I hope we draft more OL and hopefully hit on a few....but considering Bill track record with drafting OL for us.....that may be asking to much.

Our OL cant be any worse than last year......but if we are hoping for a pre-Adams injury performance from our OL......we will be disappointed again because that wasn't good enough either.

I hope some vets step up....Rivera,Fabini....Johnson...if not....Bill will once again...will play not to lose instead of trying to win because he doesn't trust our offence.

dmq

Reaction score
I live in NY and watch Jet games. NY has had a really good offensive line for many years now. The reasons, mostly Fabini and Mawae. I still can't believe Parcells didn't get Mawae. He either doesn't think Mawae can do the job(not likely.) Or he has more confidence in our Center depth chart than we seem to.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
dmq said:
Don Mattingly overrated? Before his injury, he was the best player in baseball. Don't let these bloated steroids stats fool yah.... Believe me, back then I watched every yankee game. He just played on a very bad team(except for Dave winfield) .

His career best OPS was only a hair over 900 and he never sniffed 1000. His career average was right around 800. Being on a bad team has little to do with ability to bat.

Fact is he was average and considering his position his offensive production was below average.

Go ahead and listen to WFAN and think he is worth anything. Fact is he was an average player on some very bad teams.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Really if you look at it Flozell was very important, I know he isn't the 2nd coming of Anthony Munoz but after he went down our sack total tripled.

dmq

Reaction score
You can stat me all day long. You obviously didn't watch much baseball back then.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Consider, Flozell Adams was playing some of the best football of his career before his injury last year, and reports coming out say he has gotton stronger this offseason and is 100% healed. He is a pro-bowler if he can stay healthy.

Larry Allen, who will restructure IMO, is still a top 10 guard in the NFL based on strength alone, he is easily the strongest man in the NFL, maybe in NFL history. He is a fabulous run blocker, questionable in pass blocking now, but certainly better than average.

Stopped reading right here. Try watching the games.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:
Larry Allen, who will restructure IMO, is still a top 10 guard in the NFL based on strength alone, he is easily the strongest man in the NFL, maybe in NFL history. He is a fabulous run blocker, questionable in pass blocking now, but certainly better than average.
There is a difference between top 10 and better than average. He is not in the top 10 barely better than average. His strength isn't an issue. We will know exactly what his situation is the end of next week. I won't be surprised if he is shown the door.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
There is a difference between top 10 and better than average. He is not in the top 10 barely better than average. His strength isn't an issue. We will know exactly what his situation is the end of next week. I won't be surprised if he is shown the door.

Name 10 guards better

Shields
Hutchinson
Steinbach (maybe)
Faneca
Waters
Wahle
Rivera (when completely healthy)
Woody (maybe, and hes only a part time guard)
Thomas (maybe)

That's about it as far as great guards go

dmq

Reaction score
Is it me or does LA need to be shown the door? Sure he can lift, but this is not cardio. Our line gets worse every year for 3 to 4 years now. Larry is on the bike half of Spring Training. This offensive Line reminds one of reading Relationship Rescue. Maybe its best we move on.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Name 10 guards better

Shields
Hutchinson
Steinbach (maybe)
Faneca
Waters
Wahle
Rivera (when completely healthy)
Woody (maybe, and hes only a part time guard)
Thomas (maybe)

That's about it as far as great guards go
How about the guards on the Broncos, Seahawks, Chiefs, Giants, Steelers, and every other team who has a semblance of a good running game?

Our guards whould be spending time watching game film of the Chiefs run blocking.