Recommended People aren't really familiar with Romo's contract

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Nice work GB but I don't think they make a glue strong enough to make it stick. People are convinced that a man that paid 140 million for the team can't manage a 133 million properly.

They find a narrative and cling to it. Same thing every year, just different guys to complain about. The cap, Romo's contract and restructures have been explained dozens of times but none of it sticks. It's mainly because most of the big time posters are negative and they jump in every thread with the same bad jokes about Jerry and Stephen.

Jerry being the guy that pulled together a team to buy the Cowboys for 160m with very little money of his own and now overseas a 3 billion dollar franchise and a state of the art stadium. But the intricacies of a 130m salary cap is beyond their scope. I get the frustration compared to past results, but what they don't get is the league has made it hard for the old Cowboys, Raiders, Niners and Commanders to be dynasties like before.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
This why I tell people on here that drafting a qb this year would be pointless. Just look at his contract. He is on this team no matter what until 2016. He has 2-3 more years, most likely 3. Looks like he will play 2014, 2015 and 2016.
2016 will depend on if we restructure hi next year which I don;t think we should since we will be around 26 million under the cap as of right now. After Tyron and Dez new contract might be alittle more like 18 million under the cap.

Rookies today have 3-4 year contracts. Drafting a QB this year in the 3rd or 4th just to play one year here before being a free agent would be a waste IMO.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Stephen is that you?

It's actually a misconception that cutting someone in June splits the proration in half. What happens is you pay the current years proration in year one, and in year two you pay the remainder. I've got to doublecheck Spotrac's numbers because they appear to be off on the dead money calculations, but I'm pretty hung over at the moment, so that will have to wait until tonight.

Nope. It's Jerry.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Im sooo confused... just tell me what year he is too expensive to keep and needs "the ware treatment." Paycut or be cut.

15m of his 2015's base salary of 17m will be guaranteed next March(7.5m of that is already guaranteed), so he is in for 2015.

Your question is impossible to answer since his play has not fallen off like Ware's did. If he goes through a couple bad years then the conversation can be made. Dallas made a 5 year commitment when they extended Romo and a lot of people don't want to accept it. But a 5yr/79m(the last 2 years and 40m were always tack on years) deal for a QB of Romo's ability is very fair and not crippling to the cap.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
15m of his 2015's base salary of 17m will be guaranteed next March(7.5m of that is already guaranteed), so he is in for 2015.

Your question is impossible to answer since his play has not fallen off like Ware's did. If he goes through a couple bad years then the conversation can be made. Dallas made a 5 year commitment when they extended Romo and a lot of people don't want to accept it. But a 5yr/79m(the last 2 years and 40m were always tack on years) deal for a QB of Romo's ability is very fair and not crippling to the cap.

He's not necessarily in for 2015. If his back acts up and he stinks, he can be cut before March, w/o the assumed restructure and it wouldn't kill us, despite that 7.5 guarantee, unless I read the OP's info incorrectly.

On edit: it looks like it would cost us a net 10.7 of dead money against the cap if we were to cut him after this season.

I agree that that won't happen unless he really falls off the cliff.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Its really amazing how the Cowboys back load all these big money contracts.....always forced to take the big cap hit/ or keep players to long instead of cutting them when they don't produce. IMO it entices players to play it safe and collect the money instead of producing.

Read this in the Denver Post about how John Elway and the Broncos structure deals.... just the opposite of what Dallas does....go figure.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/03/14/blaming-drc-understand-facts/26687/

The Broncos’ contracts are very well structured. The team is more than fair, even generous, to the player in year one, but then the Broncos protect the team interests after that. This is smart, clean business by general manager John Elway and Broncos’ contract guru Mike Sullivan, the unsung star of the team’s recent free-agent haul of defensive standouts.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know it's bad when you worry about stuff like this ......... instead of the actual team.

Romo is the cornerstone player of our team and his contract impacts the salary cap more than any other player. It's what we talk about in the off season especially during the free agency period.

bsheeern

Reaction score
I was very critical of 2 Jerry moves last year.. Putting the franchise tag on Spencer and Extending Romo.. I was right on Spencer and Romo is TBD.. I think Romo is a good QB but his talents are wasted on a mediocre team.. And by the time this team is good, Romo will be long gone.. So why waste salary cap space on a franchise QB. When you don't have a good team around him..

Because you run the risk of losing Lee, Bailey, Dez, Tyron & any FA that's interested in anything other than money.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Nicely done. It is like I told a Niners fan the other day, Kapernick is going to cost the team a lot of money. It is the way of the NFL today. If I was his agent, I will start off at Romo's and Cutler's contracts and go from there.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He's not necessarily in for 2015. If his back acts up and he stinks, he can be cut before March, w/o the assumed restructure and it wouldn't kill us, despite that 7.5 guarantee, unless I read the OP's info incorrectly.

On edit: it looks like it would cost us a net 10.7 of dead money against the cap if we were to cut him after this season.

I agree that that won't happen unless he really falls off the cliff.

It would possible, but pretty devastating. He would have 37.5m in dead money. Of that 18.3 would hit in 2015 and 19.2m would hit in 2016.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
28 Million dollar cap number in 2015 is a little worrisome, being we'll still owe him almost 30 Million at that point in guaranteed dollars. I don't see how we get around that number without restructuring his deal again in 2015, pushing even more money into his future guaranteed money. As it stands right now we'd have to eat 20 Million dollars in dead money in 2016 we were to cut him, a number that will no doubt go up after we have to restructure him in 2015. In 2017 it stands at a little over 10 Million in dead money if we cut him, which will also probably rise after a restructure in 2015. Looks like 2017 we can cut him with a pretty hefty amount to eat, but 2018 would be a year where we can cut bait an absorb that pretty easily. He'll also be 38 years old at that point.

Still don't see how any of this ends well for us.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Nicely done. It is like I told a Niners fan the other day, Kapernick is going to cost the team a lot of money. It is the way of the NFL today. If I was his agent, I will start off at Romo's and Cutler's contracts and go from there.

Kaepernick is 26 years old coming off back to back NFC Championship game appearances and a SB appearance. Entirely different situation than what Dallas was facing when extending Romo last off-season.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I can't recall many people saying Romo will be cut. I guess they may be out there but most have been expecting he'd just restructure. Can't imagine many would think he'd be cut 2 years after a $100M contract.

Also, not sure what part of $14M in dead money if cut three years from now for a 34 year old QB coming off 2 back surgeries is "team friendly".

They're tied to him through 2016 if they restructure. That's not "team friendly". Not IMO. Through 2015 if they don't.

Solid work and good info to have all in one place.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Kaepernick is 26 years old coming off back to back NFC Championship game appearances and a SB appearance. Entirely different situation than what Dallas was facing when extending Romo last off-season.
I know. My point was to my friend is that Kapernick will cost a lot more than Romo. He was telling me there is no way the Niiners will pay what the Cowboys paid Romo.

Lonestar94

Reaction score

Why does it matter if he has gone to the NFC Championship game? Trent Dilfer went to that game and won the superbowl, should be have been one of the highest paid QB's in the NFL? I think not.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Read this in the Denver Post about how John Elway and the Broncos structure deals.... just the opposite of what Dallas does....go figure.

Saying the Broncos "do the opposite" of the Cowboys only means they don't keep or attract top level players by offering up front signing bonuses. Its easy to say you only offer your top CB one year guaranteed at 10MM with out year salaries but very few are going to take it. If you want to replace Alan Ball with Brandon Carr, you do have to pay the upfront bonuses to attract FA's or you stick with Alan Ball.

Even without the signing bonuses, you end up paying guaranteed salaries to guys who may or may not perform - exactly like the Cowboys did. The Broncos are guaranteeing DeMarcus Ware 13 Million Dollars next year - is that good cap management that the Cowboys should emulate?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I know. My point was to my friend is that Kapernick will cost a lot more than Romo. He was telling me there is no way the Niiners will pay what the Cowboys paid Romo.

They shouldn't. He needs to be a better passer before getting that type of money.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I was very critical of 2 Jerry moves last year.. Putting the franchise tag on Spencer and Extending Romo.. I was right on Spencer and Romo is TBD.. I think Romo is a good QB but his talents are wasted on a mediocre team.. And by the time this team is good, Romo will be long gone.. So why waste salary cap space on a franchise QB. When you don't have a good team around him..

Cause you still have to sell tickets, concessions, merchandise, Ford, Miller, Papa Johns, Pepsi, Reliant Energy, AT&T and be on as much national TV as possible.

All Cowboys fans watch and now everybody else's fans wait to watch Romo throw the next heartbreaker.

As long as you have the fall guy (Romo) keeping everyone entertained you can sell them all the hype you want.

Now you have to show the fans you're doing everything you can to put the team in winning position so you got to pay your star QB the going rate.

Jerry has the most hated and 2nd most loved team all in 1 package. We don't screw up half the time how are the other teams fans going to enjoy watching us. Everyone wants to see turnover Tony.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Saying the Broncos "do the opposite" of the Cowboys only means they don't keep or attract top level players by offering up front signing bonuses. Its easy to say you only offer your top CB one year guaranteed at 10MM with out year salaries but very few are going to take it. If you want to replace Alan Ball with Brandon Carr, you do have to pay the upfront bonuses to attract FA's or you stick with Alan Ball.

Even without the signing bonuses, you end up paying guaranteed salaries to guys who may or may not perform - exactly like the Cowboys did. The Broncos are guaranteeing DeMarcus Ware 13 Million Dollars next year - is that good cap management that the Cowboys should emulate?

Yeah. The Broncos struggle to acquire top tier free agents.