Per ESPN

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Kirk Ferentz of Iowa is willing to listen to NFL HC jobs.

He has heard there will be 8 to 12 openings, there are 4 right now.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Parcells needs to make up his mind real soon or we will get beat to the punch for any viable coach.

The longer he waits the more likely he will return. I can't see him leaving Jerry hanging like that.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Ferentz would be a great coach for the Cowboys! He was a good Offensive line coach in the NFL for the Ravens/Browns, and has done an unbelievable job at Iowa. He has the right connections having worked for Belichick in the NFL and also has assembled a top notch staff and program at Iowa. Somebody is making a mistake in not pursuing this guy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I wouldn't be interested in any college coach except the untouchable Weis.

Just don't think Jerry would ever hire a GM or allow a college guy the GM duties.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Their would be only two college coaches I would consider. Both of which are not named Ferentz. Either give me Carroll or Weis.

The track record of college coaches coming to the NFL and flaming out is there and that's exactly why I'm not high on the idea of college coaches, period. I would only consider those two guys thanks to the fact they have coached as either coordinators or HC in the NFL.

Mansta54

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
Parcells needs to make up his mind real soon or we will get beat to the punch for any viable coach.

The longer he waits the more likely he will return. I can't see him leaving Jerry hanging like that.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!!!! I couldn't agree more...

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I wouldn't be interested in any college coach except the untouchable Weis.

Just don't think Jerry would ever hire a GM or allow a college guy the GM duties.

Weis can stay at Notre Dame. I've had enough of the Bill Parcells experience, and Weis is just another one of his guys.

No thanks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
Weis can stay at Notre Dame. I've had enough of the Bill Parcells experience, and Weis is just another one of his guys.

No thanks.
Yea lord knows none of BP's protegee's can coach a lick.

:lmao:

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
I can't see him leaving Jerry hanging like that.

Well, regardless of my handle, I've lost some respect for the Tuna. He has left every other team he has coached hanging out to dry. Why should this be any different?

Although, we must remember that Jerry is a very shrewd businessman, and he doesn't like getting shafted. If Parcells tries to cross him, Jerry will seek damages and go after some of the money that he has paid him.

Parcells is in breach of contract if he leaves this offseason, and Jerry will certainly make him pay if he doesn't get a commitment soon.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Ferentz is a pretty solid coach and a stand up guy. However, he has always gotten Iowa to be "pretty good", never "great".

I am sure he will listen since I think his kid graduates this year. He could also stay at Iowa and cement his legacy as a local legend.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Yea lord knows none of BP's protegee's can coach a lick.

:lmao:

What has Weis done as NFL HEAD coach that would lead you to believe he would be successful? There have been lots of assistants in the NFL that have flopped when given the keys to the Ferrari.

I think Jerry Jones will go in a different direction next time around, as I think he also has had enough of the Bill Parcells experience and the constant enigma that is the Dallas Cowboys.

burmafrd

Reaction score
BP's coaching tree is rather impressive. Anyone that claims otherwise is stupid. Weis is showing something at ND; however he is locked in their for at least 10 years. Ferrentz is probably the best college coach to go after- he does have experience in the NFL. I would look for a DC first for Head Coach- they seem to do better as HC's. Offensive guys tend to slight the D too much.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
What has Weis done as NFL HEAD coach that would lead you to believe he would be successful? There have been lots of assistants in the NFL that have flopped when given the keys to the Ferrari.

I think Jerry Jones will go in a different direction next time around, as I think he also has had enough of the Bill Parcells experience and the constant enigma that is the Dallas Cowboys.
Weis engineered back to back Super Bowl winning offenses which is damn well better than anyone available you suggest will have done.

As a head coach he went to Notre Dame and merely won Coach of the Year awards.

Again your sentiments are simply flawed.
BP's protege's have won plenty lead by Belichek but including many others.

Weis isn't leaving ND so its mute.

joseephuss

Reaction score
junk said:
Ferentz is a pretty solid coach and a stand up guy. However, he has always gotten Iowa to be "pretty good", never "great".

I am sure he will listen since I think his kid graduates this year. He could also stay at Iowa and cement his legacy as a local legend.

Getting Iowa to be a "pretty good" team is quite an accomplishment. Why would any kid want to go to Iowa? Seriously, it has to be a tough place to recruit top talent. Certainly a tougher place to get recruits than the other main teams in the Big 10 such as Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St. and Penn St. It is impressive to do what he has at Iowa. That doesn't sell me that he could be a good NFL coach.

The two jobs are just different. Just like being an NFL coordinator as opposed to being the head coach. Being good as a coordinator or college coach doesn't always translate to being a good NFL head coach. As of right now, I have no idea who Dallas should go after if Parcells decides to walk.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I just realized it is Mike season on NFL Head Coaches.

Mike Martz...gone
Mike Sherman...gone
Mike Tice...gone

Mike Mularky...possibly on the hot seat?
Mike Nolan...survives 1st year.
Mike Holmgren...the only true safe Mike.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Ferenz will be the hottest name for college coaches. I don't think Carrol or Weis will even listen at this point. Mike Bellotti has done a very good job in Oregon but his spread O wouldn't work in the NFL. One thing if Parcells doesn't come back we have so much invested in the 3-4 we will have to get a guy that runs that type of Defense. Is there anybody out there that runs the 3-4 that would be suitable?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
The thing that changed Ferentz' mind about accepting an NFL gig is two fold, first he wanted to stay at Iowa until his son was gone then he was going to take another college job at a bigger program.

The coach there led a major turnaround and probably isn't going to retire now so Ferentz won't coach where his daughter's a freshman.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/v3/01-05-2005.ns_05OrangeStoops.GHM1H49CT.1.jpg