Pet peeve: phone apps with intrusive advertising

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm okay with a free app that has advertising banners or a time limit (like 30 days use) so that you can check out the app and see if you want to buy it. No problem there. What drives me nuts is if they make the advertising so intrusive that you can't even try out any of the app's features. I installed a couple of apps that purport to help you troubleshoot an Android phone's VoLTE problems. However, I couldn't even get to any of the features to try them out. They kept popping up video ad after video ad, which they did not let me skip. If I let the video ad play to its end, it STILL wouldn't let me get to the app's features. It would just play another intrusive ad. This is NOT the way to entice me to buy an app! Other apps simply had some ad banner, but the app was actually usable. I've paid for a bunch of those. I can also live with it, if the features are set to work for 30 days (or some other reasonable time period), and then you have to pay if you want to continue. No prob with that. But if ad after ad plays, blocking you from even trying out what an app can do, you don't even have any way of knowing if you like the app.
I'm sure I'm not the only person who has encountered this foolishness. I just needed to rant. If some company thinks they can annoy me into paying for their app, they're wrong.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It's pretty bad. I had the first Apple smart phone and miss the days when an app was either pay, or free without all the junk. Didn't take them long at all to figure out how to monetize the hell out of it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Kellsbells

Reaction score
I hate the ads that are like a 3-step process to exit. You have to click an arrow, then click an x, then click another x. But sometimes they have a fake x that opens up a link in your browser or takes you to the App Store.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I hate the ads that are like a 3-step process to exit. You have to click an arrow, then click an x, then click another x. But sometimes they have a fake x that opens up a link in your browser or takes you to the App Store.
Yeah, me too. They're not going to gain any customers by making it ridiculously frustrating like that. I think that pisses pretty much everyone off.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
Yeah, me too. They're not going to gain any customers by making it ridiculously frustrating like that. I think that pisses pretty much everyone off.
Exactly. I would never support whatever they’re selling because of that.
A couple other things that piss me off:
1. Ads for games, and what they show in the ad is NOTHING like what the actual game is
2. There is a game app called Royal Match. They put ads on every other game I play. The whole point of their ads is that their own game has no ads. Yeah, but you’re pissing me off with ads on every other game.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whatever sports news site @Reality frequently gives us links to is one of those that, when I start reading the article it suddenly jumps off the screen and is replace by an ad, so I scroll down and read half a sentence and it does it again.

That's irritating, to the point that I have to really be curious about the article, to even click on the link anymore.

rynochop

Reaction score
I still get freaked out when just talking about a product causes me to get an ad on fb. Happened last weekend, my sister's ac drain line was clogged and I talked to her about getting a shop vac..couple days later, boom an ad for a shop vac. Didn't Google one or anything

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I still get freaked out when just talking about a product causes me to get an ad on fb. Happened last weekend, my sister's ac drain line was clogged and I talked to her about getting a shop vac..couple days later, boom an ad for a shop vac. Didn't Google one or anything
It took a couple days? Usually happens within the hour for me. That's why I refuse to get an one of those Alexa type things in my house.

Creeper

Reaction score
Whatever sports news site @Reality frequently gives us links to is one of those that, when I start reading the article it suddenly jumps off the screen and is replace by an ad, so I scroll down and read half a sentence and it does it again.

That's irritating, to the point that I have to really be curious about the article, to even click on the link anymore.
There are a lot of websites like that. Some are almost unreadable.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yeah, that's creepy.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Now that I accept all my click data is being collected and my privacy violated and stomped on, I think I play head games with myself with the ads I see on sites I frequent often such as this one.

Based on the ads I see at Cowboys Zone, I have accepted that I am a perv and have a driving desire to have a 6-pack. Because the only ads I see at top are lingerie ads, Russian wives, and that electronic stomach magnet that gives you crunches while you sleep.

Youtube must know I'm a football fan, because all I ever see are Andy Reid State Farm videos.