Video: Peter King: Three Takeaways From Cowboys Training Camp

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I'm wondering if Michael Gallup might be able to supplant Terrance Williams as that second outside receiver?

Terrance Williams >>>>> Allen Hurns

If Gallup takes anyone's job, it will be the job of Hurns, not Williams. Williams is flat out a better football player than Hurns.

Hurns = Lenoir, except that Lenoir is younger, and much less expensive.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terrance Williams >>>>> Allen Hurns

If Gallup takes anyone's job, it will be the job of Hurns, not Williams. Williams is flat out a better football player than Hurns.

Hurns = Lenoir, except that Lenoir is younger, and much less expensive.

A bold take.

I don't agree with you there. I have Williams at WR4 as of today - behind Hurns, Gallup, and Beasley. Heck, I might even put him behind Austin, and that's if he's not ultimately traded away before the season starts.

Williams is far too inconsistent and up and down to be relied upon in my opinion.

I'd be thrilled to throw him in to a trade with Seattle for Earl Thomas.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
A bold take.

I don't agree with you there. I have Williams at WR4 as of today - behind Hurns, Gallup, and Beasley. Heck, I might even put him behind Austin, and that's if he's not ultimately traded away before the season starts.

Williams is far too inconsistent and up and down to be relied upon in my opinion.

I'd be thrilled to throw him in to a trade with Seattle for Earl Thomas.

I ran the numbers. Williams annual production is almost identical to Hurns - except that Hurns hasn't been reliable, missing multiple games over several seasons due to injury. Meanwhile, Williams hasn't missed a game in his entire career. Williams is bigger, stronger, and faster. Plus Williams is one of the best down field blockers as a WR in the NFL, which is a big plus on a run first team like the Cowboys. Both are clearly #2 WR's in the NFL. But Williams is better. He finally has a position coach this year to bring out the best in him.

The Cowboys can save $6.3M on the salary CAP by cutting Hurns at the end of this season. In my opinion, his signing is similar to the signing of CB Nolan Carroll a year ago - something the Cowboys did as an insurance policy in case the rookies they intended to draft didn't pan out. Tavon Austin was an unexpected bonus acquisition for the Cowboys, and he's already better than Hurns. With Hurns an easy cut after the season, and with the contracts ending for both Cole Beasley and Tavon Austin ending after 2018, it's an open competition for who gets resigned to be the slot receiver in 2019. Thompson is also on a one year deal, and is the replacement for Brice Butler.

Also, Thompson is faster than Hurns. If the Cowboys need to stretch the field, then the top 3 receivers are Thompson, Austin and Williams. If ball control and route running are primary, then Hurns, Beasley, and Gallup are the top 3 guys. Lenoir isn't as good as Hurns, but he's much, much cheaper than Hurns, and is likely to be healthier, which is important. I fully expect Hurns to be overtaken in the lineup by Gallup by mid-season. The big question mark is if the Cowboys want to keep Noah Brown over Lenoir due to his ability to block in the running game. In fact, it wouldn't be a shock for the Cowboys to ask Brown to put on weight and compete at TE.

In 2019, if Gallup develops into a true #1 receiver, then the the Cowboys will be fielding a WR corps of Gallup, Williams, Austin/Beasley, Wilson and Lenoir. Thompson could be resigned, or the Cowboys might spend another premium pick on WR. But if Gallup develops like I think he might, then the Cowboys will be focused on finding a #1 TE in the 2019 draft as their highest priority.

I fully expect ALL of the Cowboys TE's in 2018 to be disappointing. I'll be shocked if any of them have over 300 yards, and it wouldn't surprise me if none have over 200 yards receiving. But the bigger issue will be who replaces Witten as a blocker in the run game. Expect the Cowboys to keep Wells on the PS, and while Swaim can be a replacement for Hanna, he falls short as a replacement for Witten.

Number1

Reaction score
several typical assumptions by the commentators

1 - slow WRs
WRONG, Thompson and Austin are 2 of the 10 fastest in the game, and IMO Gallup is faster than either with the ball in his hands

2 - need to protect the D
WRONG, not this year, the D is probably top 5 from game 1 - NFL will notice that soon enough

3 - get the ball out of Dak's hands fast, short passes
DEAD WRONG, Dak was drafted to step into Tony's shoes, a big part of that is JGs play action deep and double moves deep offense,
just get him time to work deep

Number1

Reaction score
I ran the numbers. Williams annual production is almost identical to Hurns - except that Hurns hasn't been reliable, missing multiple games over several seasons due to injury. Meanwhile, Williams hasn't missed a game in his entire career. Williams is bigger, stronger, and faster. Plus Williams is one of the best down field blockers as a WR in the NFL, which is a big plus on a run first team like the Cowboys. Both are clearly #2 WR's in the NFL. But Williams is better. He finally has a position coach this year to bring out the best in him.

The Cowboys can save $6.3M on the salary CAP by cutting Hurns at the end of this season. In my opinion, his signing is similar to the signing of CB Nolan Carroll a year ago - something the Cowboys did as an insurance policy in case the rookies they intended to draft didn't pan out. Tavon Austin was an unexpected bonus acquisition for the Cowboys, and he's already better than Hurns. With Hurns an easy cut after the season, and with the contracts ending for both Cole Beasley and Tavon Austin ending after 2018, it's an open competition for who gets resigned to be the slot receiver in 2019. Thompson is also on a one year deal, and is the replacement for Brice Butler.

Also, Thompson is faster than Hurns. If the Cowboys need to stretch the field, then the top 3 receivers are Thompson, Austin and Williams. If ball control and route running are primary, then Hurns, Beasley, and Gallup are the top 3 guys. Lenoir isn't as good as Hurns, but he's much, much cheaper than Hurns, and is likely to be healthier, which is important. I fully expect Hurns to be overtaken in the lineup by Gallup by mid-season. The big question mark is if the Cowboys want to keep Noah Brown over Lenoir due to his ability to block in the running game. In fact, it wouldn't be a shock for the Cowboys to ask Brown to put on weight and compete at TE.

In 2019, if Gallup develops into a true #1 receiver, then the the Cowboys will be fielding a WR corps of Gallup, Williams, Austin/Beasley, Wilson and Lenoir. Thompson could be resigned, or the Cowboys might spend another premium pick on WR. But if Gallup develops like I think he might, then the Cowboys will be focused on finding a #1 TE in the 2019 draft as their highest priority.

I fully expect ALL of the Cowboys TE's in 2018 to be disappointing. I'll be shocked if any of them have over 300 yards, and it wouldn't surprise me if none have over 200 yards receiving. But the bigger issue will be who replaces Witten as a blocker in the run game. Expect the Cowboys to keep Wells on the PS, and while Swaim can be a replacement for Hanna, he falls short as a replacement for Witten.

it's best not to think of new guys as replacements. more as new possibilities

Hurns is a proven production XWR. Guessing Thompson or Gallup or can do that 16 games is rather dicey.

You're right Gallup is a complete WR, can dominate at all points of the passing tree that's very rare and why the Boys were incredibly lucky to get him in R3
IMO, the most potential of any WR here since Tony Hill. But he may be best used at Y or Z, or rather later in the progression, down field.

the truth is Gallup may be too good to be a XWR. Let me explain XWRs are usually on the single WR side in a timing system O trying to force single coverage, and become the first read in the progression and end up with the most targets. YWR become the deep outlet, ZWR the short outlet

an XWR has to be able to dominate the middle of the route tree, slant to deep out, a 9 route helps
a YWR - the top half of the route tree
ZWR - the bottom half

obvious the more a guy can do the more his usefulness - but contrary to media hype it's the YWR that can move Ss and stretch the field

in other words, if playing fantasy football most want the X ... they get the most targets and catches, stats,
playing real football a good Y can destroy zones, open run lanes, and blitzing becomes a really dumb idea

a great X and weak Y is a recipe for being blitzed to death
a great X and and average Y, is typical (mediocre minds think alike)

a good X and a great Y is unusual (due to the expense) but opens up the whole play book and puts Ds on their heals

BTW, a Z in the slot with great quickness and speed, like Austin or Gallup is a DBs nightmare, the only thing you can really do about it is back off and dare Zeke to out score you vs a 6 or 7 man front.

and I just have to say it - don't try to replace Witten (arguably the best all around TE ever), just get TEs in here and dev them
Rico is a TD machine waiting to happen - just throw him the ball, he'll catch it and run over people