Peter King's Thoughts to Improve the NFL

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The "we need to cut the preseaon games to 2 games" rant came up when Vick got injured in 2003 against the Ravens in preseason. But here's the thing, Vick was injured in the SECOND preseason game.

4 preseason games are best. It gives the teams enough time and games to get their teams in order. It also allows for them to get a better idea of who are the better players to keep and who needs to be cut. By going to a 2 game preseason, teams are much more likely to make incorrect personnel decisions and are probably more likely to keep a veteran on the team over a young and upcoming player.

If you really want to improve the NFL, look at ways to improve the officiating and possibly tweaking some of the rules. Perhaps look into training more referees for the game with stricter grading and guidelines. Also, how about putting more referees on the field of play so you have more eyes on the field. Also, I would utilize the college system of using TiVo to determine calls that need to be replayed.

Rich.........

burmafrd

Reaction score
There is no way to get big money for Direct Ticket unless someone has an exclusive on it. And that is what the NFL is all about- money. First they would have to deal with 300+ cable companies; then they would have to squeeze them for more then DirecTV is paying- which might not happen; but even if they did get more money- 300+ companies to deal with- who wants to do that? Brainpaint- where do you live? I have lived in 4 different places in the US and I never have been anywhere where the dish is off for more then a couple of minutes in the worst of thunderstorms/ snowstorms. If someone is losing service more then that, then it is not installed right.

Nav22

Reaction score
...four point field goal available from 55 yards and out only in the last 5 seconds of any game and not available in overtime.
Cowboys vs. Eagles...

Game tied 17-17... with 2:00 left, Vanderjagt hits a 55 yarder to give us the 20-17 lead.

Philly drives to the Dallas 37 and calls their last timeout with :03 left. Akers steps up and hits a 55 yard 4 point FG as time expires... Eagles win, 21-20.

Now give me 1 good reason why Akers' 55 yarder should be worth more than Vanderjagt's.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but arn't there more than 2 sides to a football? You would need many more than 2 chips to see if a football crossed the goal line.

Any geometry guys here who would know how many it would take to make sure that any part of the ball crossed or touched the goal line?

And I think that would be assuming that the ball was made absolutely perfect.

Renesis

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Correct me if I am wrong but arn't there more than 2 sides to a football? You would need many more than 2 chips to see if a football crossed the goal line.

Any geometry guys here who would know how many it would take to make sure that any part of the ball crossed or touched the goal line?

And I think that would be assuming that the ball was made absolutely perfect.
Were this to be implemented, I would imagine there would be a web of sensors that would be placed between the air bladder and the skin of the football as that would leave very little of the football unaccounted for. Unless they wanted to integrate sensors into the actual skin of the football.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Renesis said:
Were this to be implemented, I would imagine there would be a web of sensors that would be placed between the air bladder and the skin of the football as that would leave very little of the football unaccounted for. Unless they wanted to integrate sensors into the actual skin of the football.

That would make sense.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Renesis said:

:eek: Sounds kinda kinky.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Nav22 said:
Cowboys vs. Eagles...

Game tied 17-17... with 2:00 left, Vanderjagt hits a 55 yarder to give us the 20-17 lead.

Philly drives to the Dallas 37 and calls their last timeout with :03 left. Akers steps up and hits a 55 yard 4 point FG as time expires... Eagles win, 21-20.

Now give me 1 good reason why Akers' 55 yarder should be worth more than Vanderjagt's.

if vanderjagt can hit a 55 yarder that should be 20 points.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I am not worried about the cable or dish providers themselves.

I am saying to do it from the NFL level.

I want sunday ticket. However I like my cable and cable ISP service.

If I could just get the direct tv Dish and box and ONLY pay for the NFL Ticket service I would.

But those nippleheads want me to, at the very least, sign up for a minimum of a year with at least the basic package.

I don't want the basic package, I get pretty much everything already on the cable service and where I live it is more reliable than the dish due to weather conditions.

From and NFL perspective you get more people to buy your product by putting it in more hands.

Now I can see a provider (dish network) not wanting the NFL to do something like that but I would think the NFL would make more money by issueing a flat rate to all providers and also all customers.

I would also like to see the NFL Ticket set up options where you could just buy the ticket to watch an individual team.

Stinks paying for all of the NFL teams if there is only one to two teams you wish to watch.

I have a DirectTV dish and only get the NFL ticket, I have no monthly subscription, just $179.00/year for DirectTV. Well worth it to stay home and watch games vs. the Sports bar thing.

I use cable for my house, appartment downstairs and cabel modem for my home office (Building in back yard.

Maybe because I've had it for 9-10 years...maybe I am Grandfathered in ???

The only advice I could give you is to try and buy there cheapest package for a year with just 1 TV (I only have my living room TV hooked up to satelite). Considering they have the contract up through 2011, you pay 1 year of a monthly subscription than can MAYBE get just Sunday ticket for the next 5 years might be worth it.

After 1 year, cancel your monthly package and renew your Sunday Ticket subscription....Year after year.

I was told 2 years ago that I would have to order a monthly package to get Sunday ticket. I never did and they keep sending me a renewal bill for Sunday ticket (Just got it a couple of days ago). I use the early bird sign-up for $179.00.

I figure if you pay for it early, they can't take it away. So far so good.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Four points for long field goals is the worst idea in the history of football.

Offenses should be rewarded for getting CLOSER to the end zone, not getting stopped farther away. Who wants to watch guys run out of bounds on purpose so they don't gain TOO MANY yards? Who wants to watch a team run backward on purpose, or get penalized on purpose, so they can try a 50-yard field goal instead of a 45-yarder?

If you want teams trailing by four points to be within a field goal, make chip shots worth four points -- not 50-yarders. That would reward the offense for driving inside the 10 instead of stalling at the 38.

Then you would kill the Eagles montra.
The franchise has lived by this for years.
Close is good enough. But not too close.
That is why their trophy case is full....:trophy:
of dust.:lmao: :iggles: :lmao:

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
#'s 5 & 9 are the only ones I agree with. There is no friggin' way the season should be 18 games -- even though preseason sucks for the most part.

pancakeman

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th said:
Make it so the football explodes when it crosses the goal line.
No cotroversy
cyberball1.jpg

Ball status: CRITICAL :eek:

ghst187

Reaction score
Getting rid of Theiswoman would be a great start...
then Al Michaels and his 49er lovefest
harsher league penalties for legal troubles and drug infractions (I'm thinking death penalty) its a privilege not a right
get rid of Arizona, Texas, and New Orleans as they are a waste of a franchise and league talent diluter
Ensure that instant replay actually gets the call right
pass out lifetime bans for fans who do uncivilized things like throw batteries at opposing team fans, start fights, etc
lower player salariess and ticket prices
start east coast games and Monday night games earlier