Peter Tork of The Monkees, Dead at 77

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw The Monkees during a reunion tour in the mid 90's, The Turtles and The Guess Who were openers, it was actually a great show.

RIP Peter Tork
That’s cool. We’re all four there?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That’s cool. We’re all four there?
Nah, Nesmith didn't tour with them at all during that tour. He might have done a TV appearance with them, but didn't go out on the road. From what I remember, there were only a handful of gigs that all 4 did together after Nesmith first left the band.

GMO415

Reaction score
RIP
The-Monkees-Silly-faces-750x537.jpg

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah, Nesmith didn't tour with them at all during that tour. He might have done a TV appearance with them, but didn't go out on the road. From what I remember, there were only a handful of gigs that all 4 did together after Nesmith first left the band.

That’s what I thought as well, and why I asked. Still would have been cool to see. The guys who did the vocals were there so that was most important

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My earliest memories as a very little child was seeing The Monkees on TV on Saturday Morning....They were talented and truly never got the credit they deserved because of their comedy TV show. They were great on music and TV.

You may already know this, but The Monkees were actually just actors hired for the TV show, and because of the story line they found actors with at least a little music background, although I don't think any of them were really making much money as musicians before the show. And at least initially they did very little of the performing on the recordings other than the vocals. They had an extremely talented group of songwriters contributing to the music, including Neil Diamond, and as the popularity grew the TV network decided to take advantage by sending the guys out on tour as an actual band. This, and the albums they put out, were huge successes, but eventually there was a of friction between the guys and the network and the show fell apart after only 3 or 4 seasons I think.

nobody

Reaction score
You may already know this, but The Monkees were actually just actors hired for the TV show, and because of the story line they found actors with at least a little music background, although I don't think any of them were really making much money as musicians before the show. And at least initially they did very little of the performing on the recordings other than the vocals. They had an extremely talented group of songwriters contributing to the music, including Neil Diamond, and as the popularity grew the TV network decided to take advantage by sending the guys out on tour as an actual band. This, and the albums they put out, were huge successes, but eventually there was a of friction between the guys and the network and the show fell apart after only 3 or 4 seasons I think.

While that is true, they eventually did split with the corporates and headed out on their own, playing instruments, touring, writing their own songs etc. Some of them even had music-related success before becoming a Monkee. Nesmith wrote Linda Rondstat's "Different Drum".

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While that is true, they eventually did split with the corporates and headed out on their own, playing instruments, touring, writing their own songs etc. Some of them even had music-related success before becoming a Monkee. Nesmith wrote Linda Rondstat's "Different Drum".

That's interesting - I didn't realize he had written that. I looked it up, and while Nesmith actually did write the song before the Monkees, the song didn't hit the charts until 1967 while the Monkees were in full swing.

I did know they broke off from the executives and toured and did some of their own material, but I believe it was very short lived. I believe Nesmith left the group within just a few years after the TV show died, and has only made rare appearances with them since.

yesfan

Reaction score
Nesmith’s mother invented Liquid Paper and sold the company for 50 million back then. She died shortly after and he received the inheritance.

nobody

Reaction score
Nesmith’s mother invented Liquid Paper and sold the company for 50 million back then. She died shortly after and he received the inheritance.

Nesmith left the Monkees in 1970 and didn't receive that inheritance until 1980. I'd always heard as a kid that he left to help run the Liquid Paper company with his mom, but just read that he didn't really work at the company and said he struggled financially after leaving the Monkees until he got his inheritance. Of course, his "struggle" and ours might be totally difference animals.

Imagine inventing something like liquid paper in your kitchen. Amazing.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Nesmith left the Monkees in 1970 and didn't receive that inheritance until 1980. I'd always heard as a kid that he left to help run the Liquid Paper company with his mom, but just read that he didn't really work at the company and said he struggled financially after leaving the Monkees until he got his inheritance. Of course, his "struggle" and ours might be totally difference animals.

Imagine inventing something like liquid paper in your kitchen. Amazing.
I would think you could take out a loan if you were due to inherit millions.