PFF 2022 Oline rankings

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys will always grade out well because of how well Martin and Tyron grade out. They are always two of the best linemen in the league so it inflates any offensive line rankings Dallas has. It’s why a unit ranked lower can outperform Dallas. They may not have two linemen as good as those two but they have a more balanced front.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ya, the Cowboys churned 40% of their starting OL because they played so well last year. :facepalm:
He’s a troll….nobody saw this unit last year and thought they were tops. Anyone with common sense knows the reason why they rank so well is because of Tyron and Zack. You replace Zack with a guy a level or two under him and the Cowboys wouldn’t even be top 15.

Reactions: Ken

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
He’s a troll….nobody saw this unit last year and thought they were tops. Anyone with common sense knows the reason why they rank so well is because of Tyron and Zack. You replace Zack with a guy a level or two under him and the Cowboys wouldn’t even be top 15.
Replace an All-Pro with someone worse and the o-line will be worse.

Genius level stuff right there.

No clue how some NFL team hasn't snatched you and your pal up with those kind of evaluation skills.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
The Cowboys will always grade out well because of how well Martin and Tyron grade out. They are always two of the best linemen in the league so it inflates any offensive line rankings Dallas has. It’s why a unit ranked lower can outperform Dallas. They may not have two linemen as good as those two but they have a more balanced front.

I would like to see more evaluations based on balance, and how they perform as a unit for the job they tasked to do on each play. That is much more interesting to me than just one on one wins.

How the unit wins is what will get us past our post season doldrums.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yeah the Cowboys O-line really isnt bad when at full strength. The issue the last couple years has been more on the depth side than anything. Especially with a walking injury in Tyron Smith, and Zach Martin still elite but not getting any younger makes it tougher to say that the Cowboys Oline will end the year ranked that high, but I can certainly see why preseason they are ranked like that.

If Tyler Smith makes a smooth transition to LG, if Biadasz shows improvement with a stronger player next to him, and Steel proves that he is the real deal on the right side this Oline is in very good shape. Odds are though you are looking at missing Tyron for 4-5 games at some point in the year, and Zach Martin is probably still really good, but unrealistic to expect him to be superman.

The lack of a great blocking TE hurts, and with so much unproven depth on this Oline it makes it tough to believe in. If this unit can stay healthy most of the year then yeah a top 5 unit isnt out of the question in my mind.

Creeper

Reaction score
A lot of the Cowboys grade is based on reputation, particularly Tyron Smith and Zack Martin. We have no idea how Tyler Smith will perform at the NFL level in a new position. And Terence Steele needs to be a lot better to really be an upgrade over Collins. Meanwhile Biadasz also needs to get stronger in the middle although he improved significantly over the 2nd half of last season.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is interesting, considering there is a serious question mark behind every starter's name except Martin according to many fans.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-unit-rankings-tiers-2022

6. DALLAS COWBOYS
Projected Starting Lineup

Lost in the hoopla of La’el Collins‘ offseason situation and his eventual departure from the Cowboys was the fact that Terence Steele made him expendable in the first place. While Collins still comfortably outgraded him in 2021, Steele earned an admirable 64.6 overall mark in only his second season after entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent. And that was despite splitting time between left and right tackle. If he takes a similar leap forward, the Cowboys could join Tier 1.

Can't agree with this ranking whatsoever.
Did Mickey write this article ?
:lmao2:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Steele has set a pattern of improvement for a while now.

If it continues, he'll win the starting spot at RT.

If not, someone may take his place.

It's actually that simple.
I like Steele.
Baidazz is average at best.
Smith gets hurt every season
Smith is a late first round pick
We got no proven quality depth.
Martin is all world.
How did they get the 6th best out of that ???

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Pff is a joke

QUOTE="Hawkeye0202, post: 11922993, member: 22015"]This is interesting, considering there is a serious question mark behind every starter's name except Martin according to many fans.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-unit-rankings-tiers-2022

6. DALLAS COWBOYS
Projected Starting Lineup

Lost in the hoopla of La’el Collins‘ offseason situation and his eventual departure from the Cowboys was the fact that Terence Steele made him expendable in the first place. While Collins still comfortably outgraded him in 2021, Steele earned an admirable 64.6 overall mark in only his second season after entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent. And that was despite splitting time between left and right tackle. If he takes a similar leap forward, the Cowboys could join Tier 1.
[/QUOTE]
They just lost a LOT credibility !!!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

Was going to say exactly this. Martin rates out so highly it buoys multiple other lower PFF-graded lineman. We have had the same thing with Kelce for years

pancakeman

Reaction score
I wonder if playing Tyler Smith between Tyler and Smith has the potential to confuse some defenses.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
They just lost a LOT credibility !!!

One thing to notice about the list is the all-decade type Olines arent really around anymore. New Orleans when they had like 3 all-pros, you guys, TB… everyone lost tons of talent.

So Dallas being 6th isn’t unreasonable when you look at the flawed lines ahead of you. Cleveland is still 2 somehow, even though all their guys have injury problems and they lost their superstar center. TB is top 5 despite losing many vital pieces and going into 2022 with some unknowns.

So you see Philadelphia at the top and some may question that, I don’t think there’s a line that’s even close to knocking us off right now (until someone steps up). So in that world, Dallas absolutely is worthy of 6

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like Steele.
Baidazz is average at best.
Smith gets hurt every season
Smith is a late first round pick
We got no proven quality depth.
Martin is all world.
How did they get the 6th best out of that ???

Good points. I feel like it's reasonable to assume that our OL, at present, is basically an unknown, 'til they've been thoroughly tested. Preseason ratings are simply the collective ideas of those empowered to state their opinions. I usually try to avoid giving too much weight to such shaky stuff.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Good points. I feel like it's reasonable to assume that our OL, at present, is basically an unknown, 'til they've been thoroughly tested. Preseason ratings are simply the collective ideas of those empowered to state their opinions. I usually try to avoid giving too much weight to such shaky stuff.
Smart man, it's why I like ya!