News: PFF Analysis on Hill

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Along with many of you, I'll anxiously await Trysten's intro into the pro game as TC commences.

Here's hoping the complimentary reviews like this one are proven to be well desrved. We'll see.

His history displays one who has all the physical tools needed to succeed. Now for the real test!

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Good article and all, but when I watched Hill vs LSU I began to question can this dude do well in the league. I saw him get pancaked, stonewalled and held too, most of the game.

Hoping the poor performance was due to blatant holding and blindness on the refs behalf (an issue he'll certainly deal with as a Cowboy) and not a result of better competition.

Trysten Hill's combine tho...was a wow moment for me, this dude's movement at 308 is top notch.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is known for putting athletic defensive linemen in a position to succeed. One trait alone stands out above the rest for what he desires from defensive linemen: penetration. Hill won’t fit into every defense, but in Dallas, he’s the prototype. Marinelli allows his defensive linemen carte blanche to attack upfield and make plays.

WHEN AND WHERE DID ROD DO ALL THESE GREAT THINGS??

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is known for putting athletic defensive linemen in a position to succeed. One trait alone stands out above the rest for what he desires from defensive linemen: penetration. Hill won’t fit into every defense, but in Dallas, he’s the prototype. Marinelli allows his defensive linemen carte blanche to attack upfield and make plays.

WHEN AND WHERE DID ROD DO ALL THESE GREAT THINGS??

HK ... I think the article pointed toward scheme and not Marinelli doing "great things".

Marinelli is a pretty good defensive line coach, not great but good. He gets a lot out of the material he has (notwithstanding Charlton). I personally like an attacking defense line. This versus something like the Flex.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
HK ... I think the article pointed toward scheme and not Marinelli doing "great things".

Marinelli is a pretty good defensive line coach, not great but good. He gets a lot out of the material he has (notwithstanding Charlton). I personally like an attacking defense line. This versus something like the Flex.
This kid is maliek Collins with less production in school. Marinelli did what with ty craw, Gregory, taco, Collins, tapper. D law was the only one and d law could have been a first round pick. Marinelli sucks, he should have been blown out after the rams game. Our d line still has one of the lower sack % in the league

waldoputty

Reaction score
athletically, hill is far better than malliek collins
the only thing collins is similar to hill is his size though hill has longer arms and larger hands.
i would say collins is hill's floor because he is injured half the time like collins

hill is far more explosive and scores better in the vertical jump than even the elite dt's like donald, whereas collins is worse than the elite dts except cox.
hill is also far more explosive in the broad jump than collins and is similar in score to donald.
hill also scores like the best score of the elite dts (donald) in the shuttle and collins is similar to the worse score of the elite dts (cox)
the only test that collins scored better than hill was in the cone.

------------------Player---Collins ---Hill----------F Cox---------A Donald -------Q Williams
ARMS ----------------------33 1/8" -33 3/8”------34 1/2"---------- 32 5/8"----------33 1/4"
HANDS --------------------9 1/2"---10 1/4”------10 3/8" ------------9 7/8"-----------9 5/8"
40 Yard Dash -------------5.03-----5.04 ----------4.79 -------------4.68-------------4.83 SEC
Bench Press ---------------25-------28 -------------30--------------- 35---------------------REPS
Vertical Jump -------------29.5-----35.0 -----------26 -------------- 32---------------30.5 IN
Broad Jump ----------------109-----115.0 ---------103 --------------116 -----------112.0 IN
3 Cone Drill -----------------7.53-----7.7 ---------- 7.07-------------7.11------------------ SEC
20 Yd Shuttle ---------------4.52----4.38 --------- 4.53 -------------4.39----------------- SEC

kskboys

Reaction score
This kid is maliek Collins with less production in school. Marinelli did what with ty craw, Gregory, taco, Collins, tapper. D law was the only one and d law could have been a first round pick. Marinelli sucks, he should have been blown out after the rams game. Our d line still has one of the lower sack % in the league
No he's not.

This kid has a completely freakish lightning quick first step. He and Malik are almost opposites.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
athletically, hill is far better than malliek collins
the only thing collins is similar to hill is his size though hill has longer arms and larger hands.
i would say collins is hill's floor because he is injured half the time like collins

hill is far more explosive and scores better in the vertical jump than even the elite dt's like donald, whereas collins is worse than the elite dts except cox.
hill is also far more explosive in the broad jump than collins and is similar in score to donald.
hill also scores like the best score of the elite dts (donald) in the shuttle and collins is similar to the worse score of the elite dts (cox)
the only test that collins scored better than hill was in the cone.

------------------Player---Collins ---Hill----------F Cox---------A Donald -------Q Williams
ARMS ----------------------33 1/8" -33 3/8”------34 1/2"---------- 32 5/8"----------33 1/4"
HANDS --------------------9 1/2"---10 1/4”------10 3/8" ------------9 7/8"-----------9 5/8"
40 Yard Dash -------------5.03-----5.04 ----------4.79 -------------4.68-------------4.83 SEC
Bench Press ---------------25-------28 -------------30--------------- 35---------------------REPS
Vertical Jump -------------29.5-----35.0 -----------26 -------------- 32---------------30.5 IN
Broad Jump ----------------109-----115.0 ---------103 --------------116 -----------112.0 IN
3 Cone Drill -----------------7.53-----7.7 ---------- 7.07-------------7.11------------------ SEC
20 Yd Shuttle ---------------4.52----4.38 --------- 4.53 -------------4.39----------------- SEC
Players dont run around in underwear when they play football. The combine measurements are there but the production was not there.

Patrick

Reaction score
I really want this kid to succeed. Not the "sexy" safety pick we all wanted, but if he works out we have ourselves a damn good D-Line.

Make me regret being sad on Day 2! Please.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Players dont run around in underwear when they play football. The combine measurements are there but the production was not there.

you are drafting a quad B player, not a quad A player.
that is why he was not drafted in the top 10 like the others were.
if he had production like q williams or ed oliver, he may be drafted 1st or 2nd player overall.

he is that much bigger than q williams who was drafted 3rd overall.
his test scores are crazy, and it is silly to rank him like malliek when his scores blows maliek away.
maliek is his floor.

and remember malliek had a down year for his senior year.
that was because they changed system and his stats were down.
sounds familiar as the team regularly looks for quad-b players (talented but poor performance in college) that were put in a bad position which reduced their performance in college...

hill is exactly the type of player they are looking for.
super physical talent.
and he even played hard on the field.
he was on the field for half the snap.
when he was on the field, he was reportedly always playing hard.
the problem was he did not get along with the new set of coaches and they cut his playing time to less than 50%.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
you are drafting a quad B player, not a quad A player.
that is why he was not drafted in the top 10 like the others were.
if he had production like q williams or ed oliver, he may be drafted 1st or 2nd player overall.

he is that much bigger than q williams who was drafted 3rd overall.
his test scores are crazy, and it is silly to rank him like malliek when his scores blows maliek away.
maliek is his floor.

and remember malliek had a down year for his senior year.
that was because they changed system and his stats were down.
sounds familiar as the team regularly looks for quad-b players (talented but poor performance in college) that were put in a bad position which reduced their performance in college...

hill is exactly the type of player they are looking for.
super physical talent.
and he even played hard on the field.
he was on the field for half the snap.
when he was on the field, he was reportedly always playing hard.
the problem was he did not get along with the new set of coaches and they cut his playing time to less than 50%.
When the coaches were there that liked him he only played half the snaps. The kid was a reach and I dont care about what an 0-16 coach thinks is good.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hill is quite simply a high ceiling/low floor small school player. Call him a medium school player if you like, whatever.

With his extremely freakish burst at the snap, Hill could be another Laroi Glover if he develops. Thing is, he could be a 9, but he could also be a 2. That's the chance you take w/ these guys. If he'd have gone to a bigger football school, he most likely would've been a first round pick, possibly top 10.

Demarcus Ware was such a player, as was DLaw.

waldoputty

Reaction score
When the coaches were there that liked him he only played half the snaps. The kid was a reach and I dont care about what an 0-16 coach thinks is good.

here is the sparq chart. his sparq is close to tillery and q williams.
furthermore, his explosive scores are higher than these smaller dts.
that dictates how fast he can penetrate.
he is bigger and faster.
dont know what else you can ask for for defense that gears around penetration, particularly from the dt.
he is almost made for this defense.

0-16?
he was part of a team with a 25-game winning streak...

he had 6 tackles, (3 for loss) and 2 sacks against the University of Memphis in the American Athletic Conference championship game. then the week later, his coaches did not start him for the fiesta bowl...
if anyone, i blame his new coaches for being stupid for not using their star player enough in the fiesta bowl.

his stats were obviously affected by bad relationships with new coaches, but he is known to have non-stop motor in games.
i dont see any other defense player we could have drafted at 58 with this type of potential to affect the game as the penetrating dt close to the qb.
pressure is more critical than coverage

dt_2019.jpg

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Hill is going to play a lot and early for the Cowboys. What Marinelli is going to ask him to do is exactly what he was made for. He will be contributing in game one.

This article is correct... Hill is an absolute perfect fit for this defense. He is going to be a difference maker for Dallas.

It will be apparent very quickly, IMO, that he was the right pick.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Hill is going to play a lot and early for the Cowboys. What Marinelli is going to ask him to do is exactly what he was made for. He will be contributing in game one.

This article is correct... Hill is an absolute perfect fit for this defense. He is going to be a difference maker for Dallas.

It will be apparent very quickly, IMO, that he was the right pick.

if his body can hold up in the nfl, i expect him to start game 1 or at least play a lot.
what he has going for him is he is a big boy, but you never know as in the case of maliek collins' feet.